Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder keep crashing on Mac Os High Sierra

I have install the latest OS High Sierra 10.13.2 and even previous version, my finder keeps crashing; it's really annoying because when I try to relaunch the finder by using cmnd + alt/option + esc then relaunch the finder, my desktop folder is all gone and I can't open anything.

My scenario:

My Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012 connecting to a server in my workplace and I have to drag and drop files to the server where all of them are images that needs to be retouch. I used all of the Adobe CC products in my computer eg. Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects etc. I don't know when and how it happen but when I try to drag files to a server or upload to the server the wheel of death (rainbow wheel) start spinning and I can launch all other application except the finder. When I try to restart the computer, it's not even shut down completely where I need to press the power button for couple of second to force shut down my mac.

Solution that I have tried:

I contacted the apple support and chat with them they told me to reset smc & nvram in which case I have done it before I contacted them. They also told me to reinstall mac os without erasing the main HD and I have done it but the problems still occurs.

My question is: Is anyone have this kind of problem and is there any other way around it where I don't need to clean install the whole Mac OS; which going to be a hassle for me because all the adobe preferences, presets and all other things that I have installed.

Hope anyone or someone out there can give me a solution.

Thanks before hand.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 10:24 PM

48 replies

Jan 10, 2018 12:17 PM in response to wefredi

@wefredi

Apple has told me they have a fix for it in 10.13.3. This is from a bug report filed:

>>This looks like a known bug that has been recently fixed, but currently has only shipped for iMac Pro.<<

>>You are encouraged to try the beta version of 10.13.3 (on a test system or separate partition, ideally) to see if the fix works for you.<<

>>macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 beta 4 build 17D34a https://developer.apple.com/download/<<

I've always had pretty good luck with the betas (sometimes better than the releases).

Maybe this can help you from the **** of reinstalling, possibly losing data, for it to just happen again.

Dec 13, 2017 2:25 PM in response to hangahliong

I am having the same exact issue!, I work on an imac 2015 and we also have a server and use adobe programs ever since the latest sierra update something has been fishy.

I contacted apple through chat today and they stated to make a new user account which I do not understand what that has to do with the finder but I did it anyway...

Unfortunately making a new user doesn't help the server side of things so really couldn't test it out the same way.

Dec 19, 2017 10:54 PM in response to PN2

I'd be interested in what Adobe extension causes this problem!

I also have this problem, or a similar one. I have made a clean install, NVRAM / PRAM reset also did not help. I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. But for me also Audio does not work at all.

As I made a re-install too, I have not the Finder logs anymore, which I saw were made always in front of the crash. When I remember correctly it had something to do with the mounted network shares.

I have made a clean install first, then installed Office 365, Adobe CC 2018 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Lightroom), FontExplorer X client, Logitech Options driver for mouse, TeamViewer 12, Chrome browser.

Dec 19, 2017 11:18 PM in response to Matt.Hias

After erasing the HD and reinstallation within sometime install unidentified apps / software , issues will again start occurring .

Don't use any single unknown apps , Mac will run smoothly .

After all the decision is yours , I can't implement , users install the apps unknowingly and system is corrupted .

Dec 23, 2017 9:00 AM in response to hangahliong

We have this problem on various MacBooks in our office – interesting is that the problem appeared for two more devices about 2 weeks after the upgrade to High Sierra.

In our case it could be something with the SMB shares we are using. We had Finder crashes both with Windows 2012 R2 server shares, and a Samba share running on an Ubuntu server.

In the Finder crash log I found something like SMB connection lost or similar, I have to look on Wednesday next week.

Dec 23, 2017 9:06 AM in response to hangahliong

When the machine hard drive is cleaned and OS is installed successfully ( how to check it open disk utility via spotlight , select Macintosh HD and click on first aid , a right green check mark should appear - exit code should be zero and not as 1 , apply same way for apple SSD .

If there is slight glitches in network installation will not be successful .

After clean installation the machine is almost new , if still there is a problem submit the machine with apple authorised service centre , they have tools will check hardware issues in front of you .

Dec 26, 2017 8:21 AM in response to hangahliong

Hey Guys,

Just coming back on to comment so after having to contact apple a COUPLE of times I finally came to a conclusion and hopefully the problem is officially fixed!! ::crossing fingers::

I have a backup of my iMac with an external hard drive... So I erased the iMac hard drive and reinstalled using the latest backup of my iMac from the external... YES I installed the latest backup with the same update again because I wanted to test it out.

So far So good... Also Apple stated they are working on it but have no current solution. I also mentioned this thread they stated its better to actually contact them then to just state on the apple threads. The threads are more for customers to discuss and conclude solutions together as we are doing. So even though we are complaining here it really doesn't help unless we actually tell them our selves.

Again I am working on my office iMac and two other iMacs got effected as well.

So far I just did my computer and most likely going to do the other two if the problem persists on those iMacs as well.

Hopefully this helps you guys out!

Dec 26, 2017 2:03 PM in response to hangahliong

Sad to say that this bug is affecting a lot of people using High Sierra (myself included), and appears to have been introduced with the recent security update. Doing common file tasks on SMB network shares can cause Finder to hang, and the only way to get out of it appears to be to hard power off the computer and then boot up again. 😟

I have filed numerous bug reports, so Apple is aware of the problem and I'm hopeful they'll get it sorted quickly.

I do want to note separately that Adobe doesn't officially support working on files directly on a network share, although people have been doing it for years with minimal issue. I think it's a CYA for Adobe so they don't have to waste their support resources troubleshooting third-party hardware and software configurations.

Jan 3, 2018 8:54 AM in response to hangahliong

I am currently having this exact problem. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2017. After doing the recent update, my Finder constantly locks up and I have yet to find a way to fix this other than rebooting (if the computer allows me to). If I drag a file to or from the Finder window, I get the spinning wheel and it never ceases. It will lock up my other programs as well and I have to force quit everything but doesn't allow me to quit the Finder. Because it doesn't let me quit the Finder, I can't shut down other than holding down the power button. I have had nothing but problems with this computer.

Jan 10, 2018 4:35 PM in response to hangahliong

I had the same problem, one of a plethora of issues. It was one of the first ones which were resolved. I did a killall from the terminal among PRAM (3 cycles & SMC two times) a safe boot, and a power down/off & back up after about a minute being down. Not sure which one eliminated that issue because I was having more pressing problems but it did resolve itself one of the first things.

Finder keep crashing on Mac Os High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.