Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot switch pinyin to Russian keyboard

When I using MacBook Air switch Pinyin keyboard to Russian, it remains in Latin layout, not in Cyrillic as it should be. I am not sure if it is a bag, so can you try it too in macOS 10.13.2. Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 1:29 AM

30 replies

Dec 16, 2017 12:04 PM in response to kosorukvo

I have a similar issue only with Japanese and Russian keyboards after upgrading to 10.13.2. It looks like a bug. I tested it with and without siri. Here are the steps to reproduce:

- Open keyboard preferences and install 3 keyboard sources: U.S., Hiragana and Russian.

- Using shortcuts or input menu in the input bar switch to Hiragana

- From Hiragana switch to Russian and type something.

Expected result: to see Cyrillic letters, actual result: Latin letters.

Workaround: before switching to Russian input source switch first to U.S. input source and then switch to Russian input source.

Dec 17, 2017 5:52 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

No. I meant "I cant." Let me explain.

I usually use Japanese input, Hiragana and U.S.

and I found I couldnt type Arabic letters with Arabic input.

Trying other inputs, I found I couldnt type Cyrillic in addition to Arabic and had no problem typing any Asian letters such as Korean, Hindi, Thai.

And I also found I got to be able to type Arabic only after choosing Arabic input after Turkish until switching US or Japanese.

I turned Siri off but it didnt solve the problem.

It seems the same as Imotov reported except that his/her workaround doesnt work in my environment.

My workaround is: before switching to Russian, switch to Turkish and then switch to Russian.

Dec 18, 2017 5:03 PM in response to kosorukvo

Don't have a solution unfortunately, but want to report that I am also experiencing the same issue with a combination of English (UK), Japanese and Russian.

I can type in Russian after switching to it from English, but as soon as I type anything in Japanese, Russian input stops functioning and only displays Latin script.

Tested this with both macOS' standard Japanese IME as well as Google Japanese IME, same bug present whatever you choose.

Seems to be something affecting Cyrillic input after switching from a character-based language...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this bug basically renders my MBP useless until it's fixed.

Dec 18, 2017 6:11 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks - I've used the feedback page to let Apple know, can only hope that they fix this soon.

Just to expand further, using a Latin script layout in between changes nothing, at least in my case - have to restart and then avoid changing input source to Japanese to be able to type in Russian. So this is, unfortunately, worse than just a case of, say, using Option+Cmd+Space as opposed to Cmd+Space to change an input source - need to restart to get a language back, which is unworkable really.

Here's to hoping Apple will see our feedback and this thread and come up with a solution.

Dec 19, 2017 1:05 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

It does, unfortunately. Tried switching inputs after initially switching to Japanese in at least TextEdit, Notes, Safari, Chrome and Messages - no Russian input anywhere. Seems to be a system-wide issue. The Siri trick described earlier in this thread also seems to do nothing, still have to restart to get Russian input back. Just to note, this is only as of 10.13.2, previous versions had no problems at all.

Dec 20, 2017 3:18 PM in response to kosorukvo

Hi! I have same issue: cannot type Russian after switching input from Chinese. It's super annoying bug.

I can type Russian after switching from English (US) and Brazilian Portuguese, but not Chinese Pinyin.

Usually I type Chinese with Sogou Pinyin input, then I tried to delete it and use default Apple pinyin (Chinese) input, but same issue.

I tried to (re-enable and) disable Siri, and its shortcut is set to "off" - didn't help.

Restart/logout - didn't help as well.

Reported to Apple via Feedback form.

Dec 21, 2017 7:22 AM in response to kosorukvo

I also have this issue. I use Romaji, Hiragana and Russian for text input. But it only switches between Romaji and Hiragana. Even though icon is showing RU, the typing is actually in Latin. It's frustrating... I though it's something wrong with MacBook and started getting crazy.

Now it turns out it is a bug...

Have guys in Apple ever heard of testing before uploading?

Mar 7, 2018 9:20 AM in response to kosorukvo

It is a third hot fix of High Sierra and the issue is still not fixed! This is unbelievable! I've been experiencing so many bugs with this OS makes me question just how much Apple cares about the quality of their product or the customers at all!
Freaking calculator in notification center always shows the same number when I open it; what used to be the best features in Finder are all gone now, even photographs do not load properly when I open and go through them full size in Finder anymore. This is hopeless

Cannot switch pinyin to Russian keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.