Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Wifi on iPhone X

I recently purchased an iPhone X. All is well except for the wifi speed. Its slow on the iPhone. I have 40 mb connection but the speed test shows around 15 Mb normally. Apps are also slow to load such as Instagram. Net is working fine on other devices such as my old iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, iPads and macbooks. Its something with iPhone X.

I have tried forget the network and join again, reset network settings, hard restart iPhone but no luck. Anybody else facing the same issue? Any solution for this?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 1:42 PM

There may be an issue with the firmware on your router and its compatibility with the phone or the phone's software.

Try it on a different network and see if you get the same results.

If your router is dual band, test the results on the other band.

58 replies

Aug 7, 2018 5:25 AM in response to fa6664

fa6664 wrote:

This phone *****.

Then sell it and get something else.

I and most users have zero issues with Wi-Fi.

Since it is still under warranty, you always have the option of making an appointment with your local Apple Store Genius Bar to have your phone examined and perhaps replaced under warranty if it is found to be defective.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jan 4, 2018 5:34 PM in response to joeyfromnorthport

Tried this.

It's not working at all.

Macbook Pro and iPad Mini are all getting 110mbps, but the iPhone X is getting 15mbps to 25mbps. Sometimes it loses the 5GHz network altogether. This is really frustrating. I'm about 19 steps away from my router in a single family home (no second story).

Originally thought it was the router, and Apple replaced my Airport Extreme. Came home with a new setup, and the issue remains. I reset network settings as well.

Jan 11, 2018 9:44 AM in response to MacAdam

Seeing same issue, just posted about it in another forum:

I am seeing serious issues on iOS 11 (latest version) with WiFi download speeds. I also saw this on previous iOS 11 versions. I have gigabit Fios, has been tested numerous times on the wired connection with multiple devices and is running at the correct speed. iPads in the house pull about 500 down and 500 up....which is fine given all the potential issues WiFi can have. My iPhone X however can upload in the 500 range but over and over pulls 100 or less down. This has been tested with a Fios Actiontec router, a latest version AirPort Extreme, and a

Synology 2600....all with up to date firmware. All were placed in the same spot, set up independently, all with a dedicated connection from the ONT. I am confident it is the iPhone that is the problem, I will be testing tonight with another iPad and with an iPhone 8 (all on iOS 11) and will report what they show as well.
Edit 1: my iPhone X test were run before and after resetting all network settings on iPhone

Jan 12, 2018 8:29 AM in response to Moe2018

I think I got it, annoyed I didn’t think of this sooner. My speed test app automatically picks the server to bounce the test off of, but my computer doesn’t. All I needed to do was manually change the servers I tested against and after trying a few it turns out most of them are in the 500/500 range, whereas the one the the Speedtest automatically picked was still only 100 or less down. So it would appear that the issue wasn’t my phone or iOS but rather the speed test app itself and the manner in which it chooses servers.

Jan 19, 2018 2:48 PM in response to ucscdad

I also believe it’s the speedtest.net app/website. Was having same issue as OP getting 40 mbs on a 100 mbs connection with app fully up to date while different devices had the full speed using browser tests. Tried a few different websites for speed tests using safari on my X and am now getting the 100 mbs again. Somethings up with their app.

Feb 15, 2018 10:48 PM in response to kashif789us

i recently had a similar issue with my iphoneX using my home's comcast internet with asus rt-ac66u. my iphonex speed was constanly at around 5-6 Mbps, while my work's iphone 6s always at 50Mbps... and i fixed my iphoneX wifi speed issue by changing the router's wireless mode settings -- instead of auto, i switched it to N-only for 2.4Ghz, and N/AC-Mixed for 5Ghz. Now both the personal iphoneX and company's iphone 6s are getting similar wifi speed around 50Mbps.

I dont know why setting it to Auto would cause my iphoneX to perform so badly... maybe someone would have better explanation?

Hope this help.

Feb 21, 2018 5:10 AM in response to kashif789us

I am new to iphone. My whole family took advantage of the BOGO at AT&T and we all now have iphone X's. Being an android owner since owning a phone I have some learning to do with the iphones. So, far I am really liking the phone.

I have internet speeds of 200Mbps. Over wifi I typically get around 150-175Mbps. With my new iphone X I am only getting between 25-30Mbps (not horrible) But considering what I am supposed to be getting this has me concerned with the software of my new device. All other devices in my house are consistantly getting 150-175Mbps.

When I turn off wifi and use DATA I get 45-75Mbps. I have been searching and seeing people with these issues but I have not heard any solutions? Are there iphone X's out there that are performing correctly on wifi?

Mar 2, 2018 2:35 AM in response to jimmerz98

Exactly the same here.

I have a 240 Mbps connection. Over Apple Time Capsule my iPad Pro and my "old" iPhone 7 always get around 180-200 Mbps. My iPhone X doesn't go over 25-30 Mbps. I even took the case off thinking it could be interfering with the phone's antennas and it didn't make any difference.

Ironically, I enabled my crappy cable modem's wi-fi and with it I eventually (it's extremely inconsistent) get 100 Mbps. I think there's a serious issue with iPhone's wi-fi chip/firmware/driver and it's driving me nuts.

Apr 24, 2018 12:08 AM in response to madra31

I found a solution that works. I’ve reported it to Apple as it’s not acceptable.

Tested my iPad, iPhones 6S and 7 and all get around 300mb. iPhone X about 140mb. Same problem for ages. Apple replaced the phone but no change and set up as new phone.

Solution: in my router settings I changed the 5g signal channel from the default 20/40mhz to 20/40/80mhz setting and now all phones consistently get 300mb connection.

Slow Wifi on iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.