Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.2.1 problems

Hello, I backed up my phone and then installed iOS 11.2.1 and since the installation, the phone keeps on shutting down. I have erased the phone and reinstalled but problem still persists.

Please advise.

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 10:55 PM

That seems to be the catch all answer. Tell me, do you own an 8 or an X? My three year old battery worked perfectly and when I say perfectly I mean play music, YouTube, texting and searching the web ALL day long. I downloaded 11.2.1 and minutes later I actually watched my battery go from 90% to 70% within minutes. No, I don’t need a new battery. I need Apple to put out a download that doesn’t slow down or drain iPhones with the slower processors ie 7 and below.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2017 10:55 PM in response to Edavid1270

That seems to be the catch all answer. Tell me, do you own an 8 or an X? My three year old battery worked perfectly and when I say perfectly I mean play music, YouTube, texting and searching the web ALL day long. I downloaded 11.2.1 and minutes later I actually watched my battery go from 90% to 70% within minutes. No, I don’t need a new battery. I need Apple to put out a download that doesn’t slow down or drain iPhones with the slower processors ie 7 and below.

Dec 15, 2017 8:12 PM in response to notjustdad

had a similar problem previously with my iPhone 5s with random rebooting is perhaps like your shut down problem. finally got it under control with iOS 11.2. but now you guys seem to be having similar problems with the newer iOS 11.2.1. others will tell you to go check for any panic alerts. go into: Settings | Privacy | Analytics | Analytics Data and look for anything that says "panic" in it. if you find any, then go to Apple Store to ask about a hardware issue. for me, no panic alerts in those logs at all.

so if nothing in those logs, my guess was this problem is some sort of whacked battery calibration issue. but in the meantime, you may want to try other things. what helped for me was to reset network settings, to turn off cellular data, and turn off LTE. and then try that for a while, then turn the cellular data back on. try that out for a while. and then turn LTE back on, to see what happens. and then if the iphone is still randomly rebooting and shutting down, then try to recalibrate the battery by forcing it to use up all of the battery. but note if your iphone shuts down, and when you plug it in, it then immediately turns on, then you know the battery still has a charge. you may have to go through a repetitive process of the iphone shutting off, and then you immediately turn it back on when you plug it in. just plug it in to turn it on, then remove the lightning cable and let it turn on while unplugged and let it run until it shuts down again. maybe play video to speed up this repetitive process that you may have to go through over and over until the battery is completely drained. in the meantime, the iphone may still reboot randomly while you are going through this painful repetitive drain-the-battery process. my theory is the new iOS 11 can screw up the calibration of the battery on the iPhone 5s by not making it easy to recalibrate the battery after first installing iOS 11. normally, the battery recalibration is suppose to settle after you install a new iOS because you should just be able to run the iphone until the battery completely dies, do a full recharge, and that should recalibrate the battery. but no, iOS 11 can go wacko with the battery on the iPhone 5s is my opinion. saw this happen with a battery that was working fine under iOS 10 and where that battery was a little under 200 cycles, and also with a new zero cycles battery installed while under iOS 11 right before almost resolving my problem by forcing the battery recalibration but afterwards with much much much fewer reboots before iOS 11.2 came out. after 11.2, had no random reboots, but still had to continue through the painful battery recalibration because the iphone would suddenly shutdown at a little below 20%. for me right now under iOS 11.2.1 is working fine. no random reboots or shutdowns. and battery is calibrated.

imho, apple has jumped the shark with iOS 11. quality control has gone out the window at apple. geez, Forbes is regularly writing about iOS 11 problems. myself LOVE iphone but it has since become my secondary backup phone behind my new android that iOS 11 forced me to go to.

Dec 19, 2017 8:39 PM in response to deinvisibleman

Thank you for the advice. I have a 6+ and since downloading 11.2.1 I’ve had nothing but problems. The drag Time is unacceptable as is the horrendous battery drain. I’ve been an Apple user since 1998 , vouching for its quality to anyone who would listen. I can no longer say that’s true. Imac’s Sierra has been flawed and now my iPhone is barely usable unless I have an outlet nearby. Shame on Apple for ruining their own products and destroying the trust of loyal customers.

Maybe my cousins were right, Apple is a bloated beast and the droids are the way to go.

Dec 22, 2017 11:30 PM in response to deinvisibleman

Same problem here. Was enjoying my iPhone for the last few months. Then apple put out 11and broke and bricked my phone due to the repetitive rebooting ever few minutes, basically when you try to start an app it reboots. Try to wipe and not load my backup same result. It’s like Merry Christmas suckers! This is my first iPhone and already beginning to regret it! My Samsung note never had this. I own a Mac, iPad, I touch and use iTunes so it made sense to change from Samsung to Apple but not at this rate! Plus being told to file a claim with assurion and pay money for something Apple broke! Apple you need to step up and fix YOUR IOS UPDATE and maybe test them before pushing them out using as testers and we pay you for this, come FIX YOUR PROBLEM UPDATES!!!! Please

Merry Ch

Dec 23, 2017 9:59 AM in response to azbobs

I was having these exact problems on my ipad. I recently got a new ipad cover. As it turned out ios 11 seems to generate a lot of heat so it was overheating my ipad. Once I removed the cover all is well now. My ipad is running the way it should be again! If your iphone has a cover, remove it and see if you have the same problems. Not sure if it will help you but it sure helped me!!

Good Luck!

Jan 5, 2018 4:45 PM in response to deinvisibleman

I have the same problems , Plus my texting is failing and my phone shuts down for no reason , also get windows popping up say accessory may not work with this phone.

I have a 6s which worked fine till I downloaded the 11.2.1 update . Battery is only 8 months old.

I took my phone to the Apple store on Tuesday in Cherry Hill New Jersey and all they did was reset my phone to like new , and you will know how much trouble that is resetting all your programs and apps . And to top it all off the process did nothing except make the problem worse .

What ticks me off is they know they have a problem and when I got there they were asking me questions like did you drop your phone did your phone get wet did you download any questionable programs while you were on the Internet . I’m going back to Apple next week , they will probably try to talk me into trading in my phone for a lousy $150 on a $1000. X .

Apple just fix the problem you caused we all can’t afford a new phone every year .

Jan 17, 2018 4:15 AM in response to gktanaka

As I was saying in the other forum, this may be a software issue and for now, what you can do is turn on low-power mode. It helps eliminates the reboot for me. I hope someone could fix this for 5Ses though, it‘s really annoying since I don‘t have any panic issues and my battery is still in a good shapes. 😟

Jan 23, 2018 10:56 PM in response to notjustdad

Hi,

Decrease and/or erratic behavior in your battery is common after an update. The device is trying to acclimate to you once again on top of recouping from all of the work and processes the update needed to perform. Give it a bit to get back on track and stabilize.

If issues persists for a LONG period of time, then I'd look into other options.

Take care ~

Jan 24, 2018 3:15 PM in response to liv0123

Hmmm... maybe. I have never experienced that with any other device. My old 3GS battery never showed any odd behaviour right up to the end (I had it nearly 5 years!). My iPad same... my MacBook Pro... same.

Last week I had some weird behaviour with Apple Music. I turned the phone off... which had plummeted to 24% battery from 50-odd% in a short space of time (hour of playing music only). When I turned phone back on battery was saying 34% charge!

So... we'll see. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 24, 2018 10:44 PM in response to notjustdad

Updated to 11.2.5 with full hope but no, it still restart on high load if I disabled low power mode. I already restored the iphone twice since 11.2... finally I did my last effort today, read this from other post but I didn’t want to do it until now because it‘s a bit time consuming:

1. Erase all contents from iphone settings

2. Restored iphone to 11.2.5 using itunes and ipsw

3. Set iphone as new, NOT using iphone backup

4. Redownloading all apps and settings from scratch

it’s quite tiring since I have several apps that are not cloud-capable, so I need to make sure everything was documented before the reset. Took almost 3 hours+ to finish setting and relogged all my account, but suffers no reboot problem up until now, even though I opened a lot of apps. I hope this will fix my reboot problem completely. I’ll update again if the reboot issue came back. If I‘m not updating, I am a happy person then.

Jan 25, 2018 12:22 AM in response to Phillyfred12

You bet :)

Hang in there and again, if any issues persist, you can always call in

I called in today to have them run a diagnostic and offer guidance on any things they feel may continually help improve performance, etc.

Tech was very thorough and efficient. I'm a chronic caller. I'll humbly admit it...I thought for sure I just might get shut down this time lol, but no. As always, I gained interesting tips and advice on top of my device status for one of my iPhones, while learning a few new things.

**Hoping your phone continues to get more stable as the days go by**

iOS 11.2.1 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.