Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc burning issue not solved with itunes 12.7.2.60

Since itunes 12.7.2.58 I can no longer burn a playlist on CD. Apparently this issue hasn't been addressed with ...60 - I tried after installing ....60 and got the same result - burning stops with unknown error after first track.

My PC is running on Windows 10 64 bit latest patch version. Disc burning with other apps is working fine (Nero, Roxio).

Any resolution known?

Windows 10

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:27 AM

Allen A,

This is the same reply that I recently on another inquiry.

This burning issue has NOTHING to do with any of the troubleshooting tips that you outline!! It is a "BUG" that was introduced in iTunes 12.7.2.58 and continues in iTunes 12.7.2.60. If you follow threads that myself and other commenters have opened you will find that dozens of users are experiencing this issue.

In my case I can say without any question that this is a software bug. Why? I have the advantage of multiple computers and have iTunes installed on 4 of 5 of them (though one of them is the "host" system for my music collection which tops 75,000 songs). When I first encountered the issue on my primary system (after using Apple Software Update to upgrade from iTunes 12.7.1.14 to iTunes 12.7.2.58) I attempted to replicate the problem on one of my other systems that was still running iTunes 12.7.1.14. The same content (formed into a playlist to match up to the contents of a set of classical MP3's) that produced a burn error under iTunes 12.7.2.58 burned an audio CD WITHOUT any problems when iTunes 12.7.1.14 was the host software.

To further validate that the issue involved a "bug" with iTunes 12.7.2.58 I then used Apple Software Update to upgrade the iTunes version on the computer that had just been used to successfully burn an audio CD (while running iTunes 12.7.1.14) to iTunes 12.7.2.58. After the upgrade (and of course with the requisite restart of the computer) I attempted to burn the same playlist to an audio CD. What was the result? FAILURE!! So with the only variable being the version of iTunes software (12.7.1.14 vs. 12.7.2.58) used I got a successful CD burn with 12.7.1.14 and a failed CD burn with 12.7.2.58. I spent 6+ years as a server administrator for a very large governmental unit (yes that means Windows) and spent a lot of time troubleshooting issues. Trust me when you have a "single" variable in what does or does not produce the desired result you have found the problem about 99.99% of the time.

When Apple quietly released iTunes 12.7.2.60 I upgraded my primary system to the latest version (again using Apple Software Update) and found that the issue persists.

So it is time that Apple addresses this issue (I know from community postings that they have gotten multiple phone calls with several support staff promising that the issue is being escalated to the engineering team).

I'm getting ready to call support myself but I'm hoping that your "Support Communities" status will assist in getting this issue escalated!!

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:27 AM in response to udo53

Allen A,

This is the same reply that I recently on another inquiry.

This burning issue has NOTHING to do with any of the troubleshooting tips that you outline!! It is a "BUG" that was introduced in iTunes 12.7.2.58 and continues in iTunes 12.7.2.60. If you follow threads that myself and other commenters have opened you will find that dozens of users are experiencing this issue.

In my case I can say without any question that this is a software bug. Why? I have the advantage of multiple computers and have iTunes installed on 4 of 5 of them (though one of them is the "host" system for my music collection which tops 75,000 songs). When I first encountered the issue on my primary system (after using Apple Software Update to upgrade from iTunes 12.7.1.14 to iTunes 12.7.2.58) I attempted to replicate the problem on one of my other systems that was still running iTunes 12.7.1.14. The same content (formed into a playlist to match up to the contents of a set of classical MP3's) that produced a burn error under iTunes 12.7.2.58 burned an audio CD WITHOUT any problems when iTunes 12.7.1.14 was the host software.

To further validate that the issue involved a "bug" with iTunes 12.7.2.58 I then used Apple Software Update to upgrade the iTunes version on the computer that had just been used to successfully burn an audio CD (while running iTunes 12.7.1.14) to iTunes 12.7.2.58. After the upgrade (and of course with the requisite restart of the computer) I attempted to burn the same playlist to an audio CD. What was the result? FAILURE!! So with the only variable being the version of iTunes software (12.7.1.14 vs. 12.7.2.58) used I got a successful CD burn with 12.7.1.14 and a failed CD burn with 12.7.2.58. I spent 6+ years as a server administrator for a very large governmental unit (yes that means Windows) and spent a lot of time troubleshooting issues. Trust me when you have a "single" variable in what does or does not produce the desired result you have found the problem about 99.99% of the time.

When Apple quietly released iTunes 12.7.2.60 I upgraded my primary system to the latest version (again using Apple Software Update) and found that the issue persists.

So it is time that Apple addresses this issue (I know from community postings that they have gotten multiple phone calls with several support staff promising that the issue is being escalated to the engineering team).

I'm getting ready to call support myself but I'm hoping that your "Support Communities" status will assist in getting this issue escalated!!

Dec 14, 2017 6:30 PM in response to udo53

Hey, udo53,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand you are having trouble burning CDs in iTunes for Windows, which began after updating to iTunes 12.7.2.58. I'm happy to help!
Based on what you've described, I'd recommend using the following steps from iTunes for Windows: If you have trouble burning a disc:

Try these suggestions

• Make sure you’re trying to burn a playlist (a list of songs). You can’t burn a disc directly from your library, the Radio, a shared playlist, or your iPod. For instructions, see Create a playlist.

• If you choose File > Burn Playlist to Disc but nothing happens or the wrong songs are burned, make sure the songs you want have a checkmark beside them.

• Make sure to select the correct disc format. To create a CD with any type of audio file that iTunes supports (MP3, AAC, AIFF, and so on), try selecting Data CD or DVD. If the playlist you’re trying to burn includes AAC files, make sure MP3 CD is not selected.

• If your playlist includes iTunes Store purchases with DRM protection, you may have exceeded the number of times (seven) you can burn this playlist.

• If CD burning stops at a particular song, the playlist might include iTunes Store purchases that haven’t been authorized to play on this computer. To authorize this computer, double-click the purchased song (where CD burning stopped) and enter the information for the account that purchased the song. You can authorize up to five computers at a time. For more information, see Authorize a computer to play iTunes Store purchases.

• If a burned CD “stutters” when you play it in an external CD-RW drive, try playing it in an internal drive or a stereo system.

• If your CD burn is unsuccessful and your external drive becomes unresponsive, turn the drive off and on to reset it.

• Movies purchased from the iTunes Store can’t be burned to a video CD (VCD) or to a DVD or VCD that plays in a DVD player.

• If your computer or display goes to sleep while you’re burning a CD, try setting the computer and display to wait longer before going to sleep. To do this, use the Power Options control panel.

• Use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest Service Pack for your computer installed.

• Check your computer or drive manufacturer’s site for firmware updates, and install any that are appropriate for your computer and CD or DVD drive.

• Even if your computer is new, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and sound cards and other peripherals. Check the manufacturers’ sites for updates.

• Try using a different brand of media or a different type of disc (for example, CD-RW instead of CD-R).

• Try choosing a lower burn speed.

• Some CD-RW drives don’t work with iTunes. After you choose File > Burn Playlist to Disc, if your drive is shown next to CD Burner, it works with iTunes. If your drive isn’t shown, it might not be supported or the correct drivers might not be installed. To install the appropriate drivers, reinstall iTunes.

For more troubleshooting information, visit the iTunes Support website.

Have a good day.

Dec 21, 2017 7:46 PM in response to timfromwakefield

Uninstall iTunes. You can leave the other Apple components alone.

Download and install one of the following as appropriate:

In the case of downgrading from 12.7.2.x to 12.7.1.14 there is no need to revert the database.

tt2

Jan 6, 2018 1:33 PM in response to frontburner10

Uninstall iTunes. You can leave the other Apple components alone.

Download and install one of the following as appropriate:

In the case of downgrading from 12.7.2.x to 12.7.1.14 there is no need to revert the database.

Or you can try burning at no more than 2x speed.

tt2

Jan 18, 2018 7:02 PM in response to chessi3802

As noted elsewhere in the thread there would appear to be a general issue burning from iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

A workaround is to uninstall iTunes then download and install one of the following as appropriate directly from Apple’s secure servers:

You could also try burning at 1x or 2x speed which has worked for some, but doesn't address an issue some users have where the wrong playlist is burnt.

tt2

Jan 2, 2018 11:26 PM in response to udo53

I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Apple tonight- the bottom line- Windows 10 & the burner in the new version of iTunes are not compatible. There is NO fix or work around at the moment. There MIGHT be a fix in a month or so if/when a newer iTunes update rolls around (so looking forward to that :/ ). Let's not get into how the new version in terms of general functionality *****. Intuitive these days = guess how it works.

Apple has an "Escalate" Dept. The rep there gave me a link to changing formats so that maybe I could move things to Windows media & burn there. On further research...

...check out step 5... Delete your music...

About iTunes Plus - Apple Support

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/export-itunes-library-windows-media-player-57253. html

Yeah. Thanks iTunes for the hoops to jump through that MIGHT be a work around for yet another update that causes nothing but problems for PC users. The more iTunes media & devices iTunes/Apple incorporates, the shittier the functionality becomes.

On a positive note. The Apple rep who tried her best to help me couldn't have been nicer. Still, almost an hour on the phone trying to fix an issue that has no fix.

Jan 25, 2018 1:11 PM in response to ZtheG

There was a general issue burning CDs with iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

iTunes 12.7.3.46 for Windows has been released which appears to burn CDs normally.

It can be downloaded from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. Some regional sites may supply the old version.

If you still have problems try the second box of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Jan 26, 2018 9:30 AM in response to jeffreyj.

No longer necessary...

There was a general issue burning CDs with iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

iTunes 12.7.3.46 for Windows has been released which appears to burn CDs normally.

It can be downloaded from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. Some regional sites may supply the old version.

If you still have problems try the second box of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Dec 14, 2017 8:06 PM in response to RogerBat

Hi, wanted to let you know that I just finished up an extended call with Apple Support (was escalated to one of the Senior members of their team) which included sending him an e-mail with a detailed outline of the issues that so many of us have encountered and a "snapshot" of the error message that we are getting when we attempt to burn a playlist to blank CDR media.

His shift ends shortly but will follow up with him tomorrow afternoon when he starts his next shift (have his phone number and extension) to see if he gets anything back from engineering or other staff after they review the information I sent him.

RogerBat

Dec 15, 2017 2:00 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen A.,

unfortunately I don't have more than 1 Windows PC so I cannot make the same profound checking that RogerBat did (by the way: many thanks to Roger for his strong engagement!) but I can add my 2 cents to the discussion concerning your remediation suggestions. The playlists I tried to burn are all pure mp3 playlist without DRM. I run the latest Windows 10 version on my PC, I even followed the suggestions to re-install Windows 10 on my PC (a couple of hours of useless work) and checked the drivers. I tried before and after Windows 10 re-installation with 2 different CD-writers and got in about 10 trials always the same result: I see that the first song is burning on CD, then I hear a short series of hectic access attempts of the CD-writer and then the error message 'unknown error message' pops up and I see the CD list of content containing all songs of the playlist - but the CD is unusable.
When I saw the ....60 patch being available I installed it and tried to burn the same playlist on CD and got excactly the same behaviour = failure. Just to be sure that my CD-writers are not causing the trouble I used Roxio and Nero to burn the songs of the playlist on CD - it worked perfectly with both burning SWs and both CD writers. So I have a workaround but I would prefer the far more comfortable direct path using itunes. Definitely I will not undergo the tedious work of completely re-installing itunes on my PC as I see the probability ofr this not curing the problem at 99.999% based on RogerBat's test results. I'm sure that the bug has been introduced in itunes 12.2.7.58 and not been addressed in 12.2.7.60 - so desperately waiting for the fix in itunes.

By the way, I am a SW developer since 40 years and not often received such a clear, complete and reproduceable problem description like RogerBat's one.

Dec 18, 2017 3:09 PM in response to wot1122

wot1122 and Other Interested Parties,

I don't know who marked this as "solved" it wasn't me. Think the "solution" is to make sure that you are running some version of iTunes other than 12.7.2.58 or 12.7.2.60 (12.7.1.14 burns audio CD's without any issues) or depend on alternative tools (such as Windows Media Player) to burn audio CD's.

I still waiting for additional information from the Senior Advisor on the Support Team that I spoke with last Friday. From posts from a few other users who have talked to support it sounds like engineering may realize that an issue exists but no indication as to when (or even if) they are going to release an update to address things.

RogerBat

Dec 18, 2017 6:38 PM in response to RogerBat

I'm having the exact same issue! It's exasperating!

I could burn playlists to cds yesterday when I was running 12.7.1.14 version. I updated to iTunes 12.7.2.60 version this morning, purchased several new songs from the itunes store, created a new playlist, then tried to burn the new music to a cd but to no avail.

I could, however, burn old playlists to cd without any problems.

It is definitely the update to 12.7.2.60. I am so frustrated.

JanA

Disc burning issue not solved with itunes 12.7.2.60

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.