Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG TV NTSF format

How can I write files larger than 4GB on an external USB HD formated in NTSF with my mac ?

PAGES-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:08 PM

Microsoft considers Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) proprietary, and threatens to sue anyone who uses it without paying a license fee. Apple considers this anti-competitive nonsense, and refuses to pay such a fee.

Therefore Mac OS can Read, but not Write NTFS volumes.

If you would like to Write NTFS volumes, Tuxera and Paragon offer add-ons to do so at modest cost.

MacOS can read and write ExFAT format, which can be used for sharing with Windows. I am not certain of the maximum file size.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:08 PM in response to Frankylicious

Microsoft considers Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) proprietary, and threatens to sue anyone who uses it without paying a license fee. Apple considers this anti-competitive nonsense, and refuses to pay such a fee.

Therefore Mac OS can Read, but not Write NTFS volumes.

If you would like to Write NTFS volumes, Tuxera and Paragon offer add-ons to do so at modest cost.

MacOS can read and write ExFAT format, which can be used for sharing with Windows. I am not certain of the maximum file size.

Dec 15, 2017 2:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Maybe you’re right cause I just tryed with 2 devices that are at least 2-3 yo. One usb lexar flash drive and 1 usb 2.0 seagate external HD. Both can’t be reformat in NTSF...so before I bought a new one, just want to be sure I can format my next external HD in NTSF!

(...I’m just trying to put torrent movies (.mkv) to play on my new LG tv via USB 3.0)

LG TV NTSF format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.