Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmark Favicons Reset After Cache Clear Or History Clear

I still don't quite understand why Safari does this. I clear the cache often for work related endeavors as well as history. Each time I do this and close Safari or restart my computer, all bookmark favicons are reset. I still don't get why Safari is the only browser that does this. I also use Chrome, Firefox, and IE for work related testing without this issue. Can anyone explain this? Am I missing something?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 10:46 PM

9 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:53 AM in response to jenderle7

In recent versions of Safari, "Clear History" is equivalent to familiar "Reset Safari" in older versions of Safari.

For details:

Clear History

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri47acf5d6/ mac

Click the Safari menu in the Safari menu bar holding the option key down,

"Clear History... " menu option will change into "Clear History and Keep Website Data" option.

This will preserve some of the data.

User uploaded file

Dec 16, 2017 3:54 AM in response to jenderle7

As per this article Bookmark your favorite webpages - Apple Support

Note: Safari uses iCloud to keep your bookmarks the same on all your Mac computers and iOS devices that have Safari turned on in iCloud preferences. With iCloud, your bookmarks and Reading List are archived automatically, and you can restore them from an earlier version at any time.

Clearing history and caches and bookmarks is totally different , when you click on history on the top menu bar > History > scroll down > again click on History click on clear all history and website data the past browsed history and website data ( that is in the form of cookies is deleted ) .And about caches if you use safari preferences > advanced and check the box of show develop in the menu bar , then take cursor on top menu bar , click on develop > again click on empty caches it will delete safari browser caches .

If you have deleted the bookmarks manually from the bookmarks side bar but that is not the case and they will be saved .

Dec 17, 2017 8:25 AM in response to jenderle7

jenderle7 wrote:

So I assume there is no workaround for this?

That is correct. Until Safari is modified to preserve these website icons when a user clears caches/history,

we cannot do much. I have seen couple of sites retain favicons even after clearing caches.

Information may be stored in other folders like Databases or Local Storage.

Bookmark Favicons Reset After Cache Clear Or History Clear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.