Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Imported DV is missing sound

Using iMovie 10.1.8, I'm importing some old video from a Canon ZR25MC. The first challenge was with connectivity since I needed to get a Firewire400 to Firewire800 adapter, and a Firewire800 to Thunderbolt adapter. That seemed to work fine since iMovie is able to see and control the camera. Importing video worked fine except it is missing audio. When I enable "show waveforms" in iMovie the audio portion is completely empty.

I've tried two different Macs — an iMac and a MacBookPro, both running HighSierra and iMovie 10.

I've seem some mention online about Quicktime missing some codecs, but that was always in the context of importing compressed files. Here, I'm just trying to import raw DV straight from a camera.

Posted on

Dec 16, 2017 8:51 AM in response to Joseph Bruni In response to Joseph Bruni

Hi, Joseph,

Your Canon ZR25MC is not listed as a supported camcorder on Apple's website. Here's the link where you can check it out in case I missed it:

iMovie supported cameras - Apple Support

That might explain why the sound is not importing. The audio might be in a codec not liked by iMovie. iMovie supports AAC (Advanced Audio Coding), aiff, Mp3, and Wav. AAC would be the one I would choose.

Instead of importing directly into iMovie, try importing the video to your desktop using the Image Capture app on your Mac. Then see if you can import it into iMovie from there. You can drag it into iMovie or use the iMovie import button. If it doesn't import, you might need first to convert the DV into Mp4/AAC. You can use the free download Handbrake to convert it by default.

-- Rich

Dec 16, 2017 8:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 9:27 AM in response to Rich839 In response to Rich839

Though the camera is not listed explicitly, DV (tape) is listed. I don't think DV is compressed. This camera worked in previous versions of iMovie.

I tried using the Image Capture app, but the camera does not appear -- or I just don't know where to find it within Image Capture.

Dec 16, 2017 9:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 10:42 AM in response to Joseph Bruni In response to Joseph Bruni

Apple stopped listing specific model numbers of DV and HDV compatible camcorders some years ago.

They currently make a statement at the beginning of each manufacturers list for DV and HDV like this...

User uploaded file

Also the iMovie help says that DV and HDV formats are supported.

You are the second person in about a week to report that no audio accompanied the video

when importing DV and I believe they also were using High Sierra so this could be the reason.

You could try to import using QuickTime Player ( Record function)

How to use QuickTime Player - Apple Support

Try a short test first and see if it plays back OK in QuickTime with audio.

If it does, import test piece into iMovie and see if audio is present.

The audio may still not import but may be worth a try.

It would be interesting to know if the recording using QTP,record function, does in fact include the audio.

Don't know what version of High Sierra you are on but version 10.13.2 was released

about 10 days ago, just in case this makes a difference.

Dec 16, 2017 10:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 11:59 AM in response to thesurreyfriends In response to thesurreyfriends

Now this is interesting. Using QuickTime Player (X) to record a new movie directly from the camera seemed like it was going to work. The player showed the audio levels flickering (for lack of a better description) during the import. To make sure it wasn't picking up the audio from the Mac's microphone, I turned the audio monitoring on the camera completely down and could still see the audio levels flickering within the QuickTime window.

Oddly, when I play the new video recording back, there is no audio. So it appears that audio is making its way into the Mac, but getting lost somewhere during transcription to a file.

I tried the same thing using QuickTime Player 7 (Pro) and got the same results. The audio levels were flickering during recording but the file ended up with no audio during playback.

Dec 16, 2017 11:59 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 16, 2017 11:57 AM in response to Joseph Bruni In response to Joseph Bruni

I dug around inside the ~/Movies directory and found some .dv files that still had audio when played using QuickLook. I copied one of these to the Desktop and then re-imported the clip into iMovie. The audio was preserved and was played successfully in iMovie.

I also monitored Console during another import from the camera and noticed the following:

1) During import there is a rapid continuous stream of warnings coming from iMovie, "Month 13 is out of bounds". (not sure if this is related).

2) Sandbox is blocking iMovie from reading NVRAM. "Sandbox: iMovie(20155) deny nvram-get glk_free_policy_override [Duplicate; no report will be generated.]" Not sure if this is related either.

Dec 16, 2017 11:57 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 1:01 PM in response to thesurreyfriends In response to thesurreyfriends

I'm not sure what I would convert. The imported .DV files do not contain audio. This is a tape-based camera so it does not appear as a random-access storage device. I guess I'll open a radar ticket and see if Apple gets around to fixing it.

Dec 16, 2017 1:01 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 16, 2017 2:07 PM in response to Rich839 In response to Rich839

Video is H.264, Audio is AAC. For grins I used HandBrake to output to MPEG4, but there is still no audio.

I suspect it is a simple software bug that prevents the imported audio from being written to the file. As I mentioned, the audio appears to be coming in since it is affecting the sound levels display inside the QuickTime recording app, but the audio track is empty in the resultant file.

Dec 16, 2017 2:07 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 6:27 PM in response to Joseph Bruni In response to Joseph Bruni

That's interesting. The video contains AAC, an iMovie compatible audio codec, but there is no sound when played in iMovie even when re-converted to Mp4/AAC, also iMovie compatible. You might be right that this is something that Apple will need to address.

-- Rich

Dec 16, 2017 6:27 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Joseph Bruni

Question: Imported DV is missing sound