Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 GPS stop working upgrading to IOS 11 (including 11.2.1)

My GPS is not working after I upgrade to IOS 11, even including the latest 11.2.1.

Apple Map, Google Map both not working, the location accuracy is low, and it wont update position while I am moving.

I downloaded an app which will show how many satellites you are connect to using gps, it keep showing none. The other phone shows good connection to satellites.

I went to an Apple authorized repair store, they ran a diagnostic but everything pass, they did a hard reinstall the os, it work for once after right after re-install, also the app i am using shows connections to satellites, but after thatGPS stop working again.

IOS: 11.2.1

Iphone 6 64G

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 3:32 PM

It seems that this is a problem with iOS 11.2.1. I contacted Apple technical support and they informed that they are working on a patch for this issue. The women told me there is a problem with the operating system not recording the GPS data properly. So hopefully they get a patch out soon to fix this problem.

34 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:52 PM in response to JarrodFromIT

Location service is on, and I also did several network & privacy reset.

There are some other similar issue that I found in the Apple discussion thread. E.g. My iPhone 6 since upgrading can’t find GPS.

And according to that post, I also make sure my timezone is auto, and take the phone in my car and drive several miles. I also walk in open space for at least 1 mile but nothing work.

Jan 9, 2018 1:56 PM in response to JarrodFromIT

I am updated to 11.2.2 and the Apple support checked my battery, determining that my battery was not the issue.

I did a factory reset last night and my phone is generally faster (like it was before my ios 11 upgrade) but the GPS is still not working on apple maps or google maps.

so it seems that we are still waiting on "the update", any word as to when that might be?

"Bricking" older iphones may not drive us to get the latest models. it may just drive us to android. hashtag backfire.

I am really frustrated..

I am really hoping that this is solved quickly and I can continue using my iphone 6.

Jan 24, 2018 8:56 PM in response to guschen802

Ok. I have had a really rough couple months with apple products. not sure what kind of voodoo they do, but anyway.

I had an iPhone 6 with a non working GPS. I did reset, called support, verified it was NOT a bad battery etc.

I ended up buying an iPhone 7, wasn't at all happy that I was "forced" to upgrade.

THEN...I got home and was going to place my metal plate stick-on(for all 3 of my magnetic car phone holders) onto my new phone and thought about the fact that magnets and compasses do not like each other.

I proceded to look it up and discovered that those magnetic phone holders are NOT good for your phone. I guess it can not only mess up your GPS or compass in your phone, but over time it can actually magnetize all the little metal parts inside your phone thus screwing it up. these magnetic car phone holders should be banned. someone needs to spread the word that thy do damage your phone. Im not letting apple off the hook for having slower performance on the phone 6 making it almost a brick at times. but I am glad that it was just a stupid mistake on my part.

spread the word.

Mar 11, 2018 11:57 AM in response to guschen802

I have had the same issue for 2-3 weeks now on my iPhone 6S running iOS 11.2.6 (never had it before this update). It's such a pain in the a**. I travel for business and I use my GPS to figure out how to get to my hotel, bus stop, restaurants, etc. I also play Pokémon Go, or I USED to play, but since it won't follow along with me, it's useless now. My contract is up in 3 months. I will keep my phone as long as I can tolerate it, but after that it's byebye Apple and hello Android!

Mar 13, 2018 4:55 AM in response to TCO-MBO

I have spent many hours on this issue also, since the end of last year.

I have gone to Apple Twitter support, level 1 phone support, senior phone support, Apple Store, escalation to the engineering team.

Trust me when I tell you that in the end only one thing worked: replacing the GPS and Wifi antenna. Check out the iFixit repair site: iPhone 6 Antenna Flex Cable Replacement - iFixit

I really was disparate enough and was going to throw my phone away when I decided to give it a go as it had worked for some. I'm glad I tried because now my GPS is working great since then.

If you have a non-working GPS at the moment you can be sure that no upgrade will ever fix it.

Mar 14, 2018 11:27 AM in response to TCO-MBO

This is not a bug, I don't know that Apple ever confirmed to anyone that this is a software bug that can be fixed by an upgrade.

I finally found a solution after months of talking to different levels of Apple support to no avail. I was going to throw my phone away when I decided to do the only thing left for me to do: replace the GPS antenna (the flex cable) by following the iFixit instructions. While I was at it I also replaced the Wifi antenna. $15 for the repair kit and the parts + 3 hours of my time and my phone is fixed! And you can believe me when I tell you that I have spent at least 20 hours talking to Apple, searching the web, testing, installing, resetting my phone, all for nothing.

It's just a hardware issue that was maybe be caused by the upgrade which could in some way make the hardware fry, or it's just all a coincidence.

What I know for sure is that my problem is gone since weeks now, not a single drop in GPS connection.

So this is my advice: cut your loss and change the hardware yourself. It's not for the faint of heart but if you have a steady hand and follow the instructions to the t then you will be fine. You only need to unscrew and screw but the screws are tiny. You can also ask a repair shop to do it for you but I would not trust all of them.

Of course I can't be 100% certain that it's going to work for you but it solved this symptom for me: iPhone 6 with no satellite connections since upgrading to iOS11.

All the best.

iFixit instructions

Mar 28, 2018 5:57 AM in response to KAYS IPHONE6___

I have documented the many hours I have spent on this. Escalated to Apple engineers who have still not called back after over a month. Genuis bar folks are trained to sell or swap, rarely fix. We have five iphone6's in the family. Mine is the only one were the GPS in not working. I am using one of those swapped out Genuis bar 6's while mine is awaiting an Flex Cable replacement. Once the Flex Cable is replaced, I will report my success or failure. With four of our five 6's working, logic would say it's a hardware problem, but it could be software with certain hardware too.

iPhone 6 GPS stop working upgrading to IOS 11 (including 11.2.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.