Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6 since upgrading can’t find GPS

I have an iPhone 6 and ever since upgrading to iOS 11, I can no longer use any mapping apps (Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps) as it says ‘No GPS trying moving outdoors’. It’s frustrating because I use the feature daily and now I can’t get it to function. I have numerous times reset both the Network Settings and the Location and Privacy Settings to no avail.

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 12:22 PM

Hello,

Improve GPS accuracy

GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. To improve GPS accuracy:

• Make sure that you've set the date, time, and time zone correctly on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.
  • Keep a clear view in several directions. Walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this happens, your device uses Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2017 12:22 PM in response to Jacquie8

Hello,

Improve GPS accuracy

GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. To improve GPS accuracy:

• Make sure that you've set the date, time, and time zone correctly on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.
  • Keep a clear view in several directions. Walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this happens, your device uses Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2017 3:43 PM in response to Gus

Yeah, Gus, that does nothing. There is very obviously a problem with the firmware for iOS 11. Not a single app that uses GPS still functions properly. Google Maps, Apple Maps, Pokemon Go, etc., none of them have an idea of where the phone is. Everything worked perfectly fine with iOS 10, and the only thing that changed was the upgraded firmware. Apple needs to find the problem with the firmware and release ANOTHER update to fix the problem they created. Right now the easiest way to navigate with my iphone 6 is to get turn-by-turn directions from MapQuest like it is 2004.

Oct 17, 2017 5:43 PM in response to Jacquie8

I was told by a customer a support representative to post an individual comment like this one in the forum and to also submit an issue in the actual Apple Maps app because the more instances of a problem they see, the more likely it is that they will find a solution for it.

I was on chat with them for a LONG time trying to fix it, with no results.

Oct 24, 2017 10:38 AM in response to Philly_Phan

WiFI and Bluetooth are ON. AFAIK, the map app would use WiFi hotspots triangulation to get an estimate of the location but it won't be as accurate as GPS, that could explain sometimes I can get a rough location but it is never accurate enough to pin point the location (it would show my location off the road or highway) and cannot give turn-by-by instructions.

Oct 24, 2017 12:27 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Doesn’t help. I have done this with all navigation based apps. Why won’t Apple just own up to the fact that it is because of a software issue that they rolled out without completely beta testing 0.1, 0.2, or 0.3? Instead they will force their faithful users to live with bugs until they can finally properly beta test 11.1 and maybe(HOPEFULLY) solve ALL of the issues, including this one. However, I continue to hold out little hope because I had the beta for 11.1 including at least one of the beta updates and my location services still wouldn’t work. Maybe they are just forcing people into upgrading to the iPhone 8 since their sales for that model have vastly underperformed what was expected. Samsung and Google are looking sweeter by the day...

Oct 25, 2017 8:55 AM in response to Jacquie8

I also have an iPhone 6 and ever since upgrading to iOS 11, I can no longer use any mapping apps (Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps) as it says ‘No GPS trying moving outdoors’. It works when I use it in my house with Wi-Fi, but does not work when I am driving. It use to work all the time when I was driving (same location) - I have done everything that has been recommended here and I still get no GPS.

Oct 25, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_phan, what do you not understand about the fact that this is not a repairable issue? This isn’t hardware related. Hardware related issues don’t just pop up immediately following an iOS update. The only way this problem gets fixed is with another iOS update or when you take it to the store and they fix it by giving you a different iPhone. You know this, you’re just too blinded by that chrome Apple to see the truth.

Oct 25, 2017 10:11 AM in response to Jacquie8

Just to note, my problem with having no GPS did not come when I upgraded to IOS 11. My phone got wet and bricked. So I received an exact replacement through insurance. Once I had set up the new phone, prior to IOS 11, it never got GPS. Every so often, when I use Waze it'll will click into GPS and then the voice will start giving me directions because the app actually can tell where I am. So it feels more like the problem is that the phone unclicks itself from the system (turns off that feature) without the use knowing and every so often clicks it back on. It does not happen often, but if I'm driving long enough it'll click in. I totally understand the frustration. I haven't taken it to an Apple store because I really don't think they can do anything, except to upgrade me to a new phone. And I don't want to pay for that.

My iPhone 6 since upgrading can’t find GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.