Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview – One Window, Many Files

Hello,

In Preview->Preferences in “When opening files:” I have “Open each file in its own window” selected. Unfortunately, Preview won’t obey orders and persists in opening different files in one and the same window. Tried chopping and changing prefs, quitting and re-launching, etc. but no dice.

Is there some ‘dwrite’ or command-line magic that will permanently and really turn off this annoying (mis)behaviour?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:15 PM

6 replies

Dec 20, 2017 12:12 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric thanks for the follow-up.

By 'restart,' which you've written twice, I trust you mean relaunch (Preview) and not reboot the system.(?)

On the subject of backups, are you familiar and conversant with Backup app/software design? After Apple released its limited and straitjackety TimeMachine, external drive vendors expect their users to use that and, as a consequence, WD discontinued its WDBackup which I found vastly superior to TimeMachine in terms of flexibility and power. You had posted on this thread, in fact.

It's a pity when things start regressing . . . I've made a list of Post-Tiger regressions . . .

Dec 19, 2017 3:21 PM in response to KDS-KDS

Do a backup, preferable 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Preview Reset automatic download - 3rd party solution

Dec 19, 2017 3:20 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks.

OK, re "Do a backup, preferable 2 backups on 2 separate drives," you've scared me enough to think twice about this. (I take backups but am not fond of doing unnecessary restores.)

I keep ~/Library in my Finder's sidebar. It's very convenient.

The only one whose deletion might cause trouble appears to be

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper ???

Is there a preferred or 'correct' sequence in which one can delete the other files one by one and check Preview's behaviour after each deletion?

I eyeballed a few of them and couldn't see anything that might be related to “When opening files:”

What's bizarre is that the blooming thing apparently at random opens some files in a single window and a few files in their own respective windows when you double-click on several files even of the same type.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2018 2:59 AM in response to KDS-KDS

I've been experiencing the same thing, so what I do is simple. When I open a second item in Preview, it appears in one window with a tab along with the first item. I right click on the tab of the second item and select Move Tab to New Window, and it separates them. Until an Apple update gives us back the separate window option, this is my preferred method of working in multiple windows. Hope it helps.

Preview – One Window, Many Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.