Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 11.2.1 "No service/searching"

After downloading IOS 11.2.1 yesterday my iphone continuously cycles between "No Service" and "Searching."

I've tried turning the phone off and on several times. I've also reset the network settings and ejected and reinserted the SIM card. Eventually my service comes back for a few hours only for it to drop again.

When I went to the verizon store I purchased my phone from I was told that they have had 50+ people come into the store today with the same problem and there was nothing they could do as it was a bug that has affected the antenna.

How can I get this fixed? Is there going to an additional update to fix this issue?

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 10:38 AM

The same thing is happening to my Mom's phone (iPhone 6). Her phone worked perfectly fine before she updated to 11.2.1. Once she updated the phone, her phone stopped connecting to the AT&T network.

I've tried resetting the network settings, removing the sim card, resetting/restoring the phone - and nothing seems to work. When my mom took her phone to the genius bar, they told her she needed to buy a new phone - obviously, this is absurd.

This is a software problem and needs a fix ASAP - Apple should also compensate people for the days that they've paid for their phone but haven't been able to use them.

76 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2018 10:38 AM in response to Xxrain2004xx

The same thing is happening to my Mom's phone (iPhone 6). Her phone worked perfectly fine before she updated to 11.2.1. Once she updated the phone, her phone stopped connecting to the AT&T network.

I've tried resetting the network settings, removing the sim card, resetting/restoring the phone - and nothing seems to work. When my mom took her phone to the genius bar, they told her she needed to buy a new phone - obviously, this is absurd.

This is a software problem and needs a fix ASAP - Apple should also compensate people for the days that they've paid for their phone but haven't been able to use them.

Mar 9, 2018 9:39 PM in response to Xxrain2004xx

I found a solution! I tried everything once I updated to IOS 12.2.6 I kept having no service no matter what. I restarted my phone, restarted network setting, did a restore from a backup, nothing worked. Solution: update to the new beta IOS.

I have the IOS 12.3 beta now and I have service again. You can download the beta version here:

https://developer.apple.com/support/beta-software/install-ios-beta/

Dec 29, 2017 6:15 PM in response to Xxrain2004xx

My iPhone 6 plus also have the same problem after upgrade to ios 11.2.1 or 11.2 ("No Service" and "Searching).

I try power off the phone several times and also reset the network settings and ejected and reinserted the SIM card, change the new sim card, change new sim card for different operator. Eventually my service comes back when I try to restore the ios again with the same version or 11.2 for a few hours only and then it drop No Service again. Hope this issue will be fix in new release soon.

Dec 31, 2017 7:58 PM in response to Xxrain2004xx

I have this exact same problem, no service with iOS 11.2.1 on an iPhone 6. After much work I did not fix the problem even with a complete fresh iOS install. I spent 2 hours at Verizon and Apple support and no resolution. Following guidance, we did many things which did not work, (1) new SIM card, (2) soft restart, (3) hard restart, (4) reset network settings, (5) reset all personal data. Finally, (6) I completed a fresh install of iOS 11.2 from itunes. It prompted me to update carrier settings, and update again to 11.2.1, and restore my data from backup. After all that, I did have signal for about 2 hours and was able to make some test calls. Then inexplicably, my phone is back to "no service" and I can't get it to work. So, this definitely seems to be an iOS issue. For now, I am using the wifi calling feature to make calls, but that only works when I am connected. Getting very frustrated at this point and hope Apple fixes this soon. Otherwise, I will probably switch to another brand of phone. This is ridiculous....

Jan 4, 2018 4:52 PM in response to Mohamed@Libya

I had the same problem on my unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 iOS 11.2.1 after the update. Tried everything mentioned in all the replies & nothing worked. Then realized that since the Apple iOS signing window for iOS 11.2 was still available, I downgraded to iOS 11.2 & magically the cell signal immediately came back fine. Have only tested this for several hours, but good so far.

I think something in the iOS 11.2.1 update and the cell carrier update file are somehow in conflict causing the baseband modem in the phone to search constantly (as seen in the PRL showing as 1 which is not valid). As some have mentioned, it still could also be evidence of gradually failing hardware. Hope this info helps.

Jan 6, 2018 10:48 AM in response to belhasen31

To downgrade iOS11.2.1 to 11.2 only (as long as Apple is still officially signing the 11.2 version)...

On your pc or mac, go to iDownloadblog.com then select their Downloads tab, scroll down to the iPhone section & select the specific iOS 11.2. version for your specific iPhone model. Then select Go & download that specific .ipsw file to your pc or mac desktop.

Once downloaded, connect your iphone via usb cable & open your latest version of iTunes, then *fully backup* your iPhone first, then after it's done, while pressing & holding the Shift key on pc, select Restore tab in iTunes & pick the specific downloaded iOS11.2 version now saved on your desktop (if you don't press the shift key on the pc, iTunes will only download & restore the latest iOS version).

Once the Restore process is finished, your iPhone should then be on iOS11.2. Now set your phone up as a New phone first, then afterward, you can then restore data from your correct backup date. This process will work the same for any iOS downgrade as long as Apple is still allowing/signing that specific version (usually for only a few weeks after every iOS update).

Jan 6, 2018 8:44 PM in response to Xxrain2004xx

As an update to my previous post, it seems like this may be a conflict between iOS 11.2.1 and the Facebook Messenger app. Having the same "no service" issue as everyone else with an iPhone 6, I reinstalled the iOS using iTunes, updated carrier settings, and restored my backup data. I had signal from Verizon for a few hours, but as soon as I opened the Facebook Messenger app, I lost signal and it was back to "no service." I deleted the Messenger app, and still the same. However, yesterday I reinstalled the iOS as before to 11.2.1 and again updated carrier settings and restored backup data. But this time did not install Messenger, and I have perfect connection to Verizon. It's been 24 hours and still good. Does anyone else have this coincidence? I read up a little and it seems like the update to iOS 11.2 changed the way iOS interacts with Facebook permissions. Also Messenger wanted access to my phone contacts and SMS permissions. Could this somehow be the glitch? I will update if I lose signal again, but so far ok...

Jan 7, 2018 3:38 AM in response to rogersjs77

I am so happy for you! After traveling I have been fighting with this problem for 4 days now. I will try this tomorrow from my computer at work and post results. My additional problem is that after travelling my “carrier“ option has disappeared from the menu.... so I can’t even insert settings. I hope your phone connection stays stable. I know the pain...

Jan 7, 2018 1:55 PM in response to sguidosa

I too, am having the issue of "no signal/searching" after upgrading to 11.2.1. I spent 2 hours with Apple today and another hours with Sprint.

I downloaded the 11.1 file to do a rollback, but when I attempted to restore, I could not select the correct file from ITunes. It made me search for "iphone/Ipad files, but what I downloaded would notdisplay in the file name window. What did I miss?

Jan 7, 2018 4:07 PM in response to evilipoo

If you have downloaded a valid IPSW file specific for your phone and the correct iOS version signed by Apple it should show up. Make sure your phone is in DFU recovery mode. Then in iTunes holding down Shift for Windows or Option for Mac, then "Restore iPhone" should work.

On a side note, my phone is again not working. It made it 48 hours working fine, then inexplicably back to "no service." So I don't think it was the Facebook Messenger app after all. Back to no good solution 😟.... Hoping for an update from Apple.

IOS 11.2.1 "No service/searching"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.