Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X found audio files in 8 bit format

Every time a open my project the alert pops out:

"Logic Pro X found 8 audio files in 8 bit format. / This format is unsupported and cannot be played back."

Some of the regions that were fine previously stopped playing and I've lost the tracks that I recorded on Saturday.

After recording I bounced a project to send my friend a rough mix, but when I got home and checked it on different speakers, I decided to tweak it a bit. That's when I noticed some of the files were gone. How could this happen?

I've located corrupted audio files on my disk and the couldn't be played with iTunes.

Logic Pro X: 10.3.3

Macbook 15 inch with touch bar and Touch ID on High Sierra: 10.13.2

FileVault was turned on – I turned it off since.

P.S. Maybe there was a software update in between bouncing and me reopening the project.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Logic Pro X: 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 18, 2017 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 5:08 PM

I just opened a project recording Nov 29th and had the same problem - logic found 8 bit audio and can't read them. The recording was a string quartet -- this could be very expensive....

I was not using file vault.

marc

26 replies

Jan 1, 2018 7:01 PM in response to Rainburst

I have same problem

Files where fine closed logic went to lunch came back

opened session and large part is corrupted as well all the work from whole morning session with multiple musicians.

Same 8 bit message.

Disk checks out.

Backup is also corrupted must have happened when logic closed this is a serious bug seems to be affecting High sierra only.

This is Several hours and hundred dollars down the drain for us very unhappy right now.

Jan 1, 2018 9:25 PM in response to Flushls

I was able to save the one file Rainburst sent me.

You probably have a lot of files but you can try this "repair" on one of them.

here's my full response:

I think I can tell you how to do this with your setup, I wasn't having any luck with my usual applications so I tried using "Audacity", an open source audio application for Windows/MacOS/Linux.

I imported the file as as Raw Data then selected "Signed 24-bit little-endian 44.1 mono" from the import box that appears.

See if that works for you. In Audacity you need to use Import / Export instead of Open/Save

Note: since you know the format of your files, you will need to import using the original format.

The format box appears after selecting import.

Dec 21, 2017 5:33 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks, Pancenter. I have checked the disk for errors and none were found. I used Soundhack app to restore the audio file header and it partially worked. I've managed to make the file playable again but I couldn't figure out a way to remove the digital noise. Looks like the data is still intact, but the capabilities of sound hack does not cover the particular format.

Jan 2, 2018 11:15 AM in response to kmbrown05

You need to send Feedback to Apple via the Logic Program, this is a users forum and your messages will not be seen or addressed.

Also, this has happened before, years ago, possibly before Apple purchased Logic from eMagic at version 5.5.

I remember a scenario where Logic audio files were saved and the program came up with the same 8-bit message when trying to reload the project. This error only affected the Mac version, not the PC version. Logic was cross-platform back then. Somehow the file headers are getting messed up. is everyone experiencing this problem running High Sierra?

Jan 3, 2018 9:03 AM in response to Rainburst

Ok, so the problem got worse. Just tried re-recording everything that was lost (It was not perfectly played in any case.) After I rebooted the system half of the new files got corrupted. This time the Logic was set to record in WAV instead of AIFF but it didn't help. As long as this problem persists I can't do any work on my Mac. This is just terrible

Jan 3, 2018 1:44 PM in response to Pancenter

Actually I've listened to the files you've recovered on several devices - it is not distortion, it's the background noise. Like white or pink. It's similar to what you'll get by cranking up mic preamp level. I've checked again on my Windows laptop - it's definitely present. The recording was digital in nature - it was done through kemper - so there was absolutely no noise.

The problem on my mac may be hardware fault, but this is not an argument in support of this theory.

Feb 5, 2018 11:45 AM in response to Rainburst

Please give an update if you do expereince this problem again in 10.4, I’m working on huge project with a strict deadline and I’ve had this problem 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Creating a new project seems to solve it for a while, but I’m constantly having to back things up a ridiculous amount of times just to make sure I dont lose everything. This is the most info ive seen about this problem. Its infuriating, praying its fixed in 10.4

Feb 18, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Pancenter

Just bumped into this thread because I'm having the same problem.

Running OS 10.10.5

First time this happened for me, been using Logic since version 4, on both Mac & PC

The stragen thing is that it happens with random audio files within the same project - most are left intact, some will be corrupted. Next time I open it, even more will be corrupted.
Plus, the corrupted files of a multitrack recording will have a different size than the ones still intact of the same take

Anyone experience this particular problem?

PS.

Another thread may be of interest here - dealing with Logic not reading file formats correctly if they are stored on non-Mac formatted drives

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94493

Simply copying them back to an OSX formatted drive /as suggested there) didn't help in my case, though

Feb 21, 2018 2:30 PM in response to Rainburst

It seems indeed that the problem was due to the audio files being stored on a FAT32 drive. After moving them to an HFS one, the problem no longer occurred. I haven't been able to recover the corrupted files, though (e.g. using raw format import & changing file header).

This is truly irritating, since you would think that once you stop recording a take, any DAW should leave the recorderd audio files alone and (unless you deliberately utilize any destructive editing) perform read out operations at best. Contrary to that, Logic actually seems to change data in the files upon project shutdown. I can't think of any logic behind this (talk about logic in Logic, what a pun), let alone why this should lead to (randomly!!) corrupted files on FAT32 drives after re-opeing the project.

I've recorde to external drives dozens of times with Logic and no problem whatsoever, but I'm not exactly positive that they were all HFS. Following the reasoning above, they must have been...?!

Anyway - to be safe, no more recording to FAT32 for me.

One complete day of a paid recording session gone to h*e*l*l, with an appropriate damage to my personal reputation...
Whoever may be responsible for this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

@Rainburst: Using Logic 10.2.4

PS. Interesting censorship detail: I previously wrote the word *h*e*l*l* (without these asterisks) in this post, and after posting, some algorithm obviously censored the word, leaving it as all asterisks... - come on Apple, that's ridiculous, it's not even a cuss word.

Feb 21, 2018 4:08 PM in response to volker171

Actually, using an older version of Logic on Snow Leopard I've recorded to FAT 32 many times with no problems.

If you care to post one of the corrupted files I'll see if I can restore it.

Yes, Logic closes the file upon saving the project just as it re-writes the Preferences file upon closing the program. That's one of the reasons the Prefs file gets corrupted so often.

Mar 29, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Rainburst

I have just experienced this myself also, seems all of a sudden my rec files from the night before are now corrupted and have bursts of white noise or have simply just gone missing entirely. Ive brought the project data back to the earliest auto save and project alternatives and still the files are stuffed. If this is not resolved I most certainly have to change DAW platform :/

Logic Pro X found audio files in 8 bit format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.