Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G3 Won’t boot, only boots to open firmware

Hello I have a PowerBook G3 pismo and it won’t boot. The symptoms are that it turns on like Normal but then goes straight into open firmware I have also tried booting from the install and recovery cds but no luck what ever way I try it still goes to open firmware. But from my knowledge it is not the normal open firmware it says DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 then some other stuff and then “welcome to open firmware to continue booting type mac-boot” but no luck please someone help me soon :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2017 8:44 AM

3 replies

Dec 25, 2017 5:34 PM in response to bigtall64

Looks like the Powerbook Pismo, if that is what you have needs the firmware update found on article 75132:

Knowledgebase links of the info.apple.com format no longer work

https://web.archive.org/web/20080917231552/http://docs.info.apple.com:80/article .html?artnum=75132

is the version 4.1.8. You'll need to obtain a copy of the 9.2.1 retail installer to install it on your Mac.

Dec 26, 2017 7:42 AM in response to bigtall64

There is something simple that might get you started; it is at least worth a try.

Sometimes odd startup problems on a Pismo can be due to a weak or dead internal backup battery. Most of us call it the "PRAM" battery for convenience. Fortunately the Pismo allows you to easily disconnect the PRAM battery's cable from the logic board and that often stops those frustrating startup issues.

Remove the keyboard per instructions in the first image in this article:

PowerBook G3 Pismo PRAM Battery Replacement - iFixit

Now look at the SECOND image in that article but DO NOT take the action described. Instead look at the RIGHT EDGE of the second image. There is a twisted cable with white, black, and red wires going to a white connector that is plugged to the logic board. Detaching the white plug from the logic board disconnects the PRAM battery. It is not a 100 percent success rate but many people here having trouble starting a Pismo have reported this action allowed booting.

PowerBook G3 Won’t boot, only boots to open firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.