Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newly received iPhone messages show above sent messages

So this has been happening recently, I don’t know if it’s meant to be part of the update (iPhone 6 v.11.2.1) but whenever I get a notification of a message and then open the app, it will show up above the message I sent. I posted an example below of how the messages should have been shown. I sent my message right after 1 and when I exited the app, I got a notification of message 3 but it shows up above mine. Also, 4 should be the one at the bottom since they replied to me AFTER I responded back

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 8:08 PM

Hi JLC5087X,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the order of the text messages are not being displayed in the correct order. One thing you may want to do is verify that Date & Time are set to Automatic. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

Check your settings

See if you still need help after each step:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  2. Turn on Set Automatically1 in Settings > General > Date & Time. This automatically sets your date and time based on your time zone. If there’s an available time-zone update, your device lets you know.
  3. Check that your device shows the correct time zone in Settings > General > Date & Time > Time Zone.

Get help with the date and time on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Cheers.

88 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 8:08 PM in response to JLC5087X

Hi JLC5087X,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the order of the text messages are not being displayed in the correct order. One thing you may want to do is verify that Date & Time are set to Automatic. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

Check your settings

See if you still need help after each step:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  2. Turn on Set Automatically1 in Settings > General > Date & Time. This automatically sets your date and time based on your time zone. If there’s an available time-zone update, your device lets you know.
  3. Check that your device shows the correct time zone in Settings > General > Date & Time > Time Zone.

Get help with the date and time on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Cheers.

Dec 28, 2017 12:35 PM in response to chris_g1

I know that a ton of people, as well as myself, having both of these issues... hence why I found this page from google searching "my phone is updated, why are my own texts coming in as a new notification and other texts are not in correct order". I have tried all ways listed above and not one thing works. I feel like its a glitch on this new update and for some reason every update has a new glitch? Kind of like the [A] glitch on one of the updates in November? Will there be a new update?

Jan 8, 2018 11:21 AM in response to JLC5087X

Something that I found interesting is that my apple watch shows the iMessages in the correct order but my iPhone does not. I took the instructions of what worked from a previous post and it worked for me, which are:

1. Turn off set automatically under date/time

2. At this point I changed the time to one minute early

3. Turn on set automatically.

4. Restart iPhone

At this point, iMessages in the past were out of order, but all future ones were coming in correctly.

Hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2018 9:41 AM in response to bernadettefromPPAus

I also saw someone above mentioning to change your time before turning automatic date/time back on. I just tried it now and will see if that solves the issue.

I feel like this problem must be due to a synch problem in which my local iPhone Time is some number of seconds ahead of the date/time servers. That way when new replies come in (especially when sent right away) they get sorted above ones i’ve sent “from the future” due to my bad local time.

I didn’t start having issues until I had manually changed the year in my clock a week or two ago to test an app countdown timer. After that, the issue persisted even though i’ve been back on automatic.

As seen in attached, the minutes appear the same but if my seconds are ahead of hers it would explain why it’s below.

Hopefully dinking with airplane mode and automatic time settings sorts it out!

User uploaded file

Dec 26, 2017 1:23 PM in response to JLC5087X

Hey JLC5087X,

Thanks for the update. Since you are having multiple issues with the Messages app after the update, it seems specific to this app only. Since you are not able to remove and reinstall the Messages app alone, backup the iPhone to keep your data safe. Restore the iPhone to factory settings to see if the issue persists. It may be something on the device, but you can also restore your backup data afterward.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Take care.

Dec 28, 2017 5:16 PM in response to CamCo.

Yeah I hope they do fix it, I usually hate when an Apple rep replies to these kinds of issues and their responses are 95% unhelpful... and now I've also gotten an issue where I get notifications of a new message, but the preview is of the message that I had sent. Super annoying, and I really hope they come out with a fix soon

Jan 3, 2018 9:09 AM in response to JLC5087X

I’ve been having the issue the entire time too. I have an iPhone 7 that was newly replaced after my phone died just after the warranty ran out. Thankfully a manager at the Apple Store replaced it for free. The out of order text messaging is the only issue I’ve had with this new 7. It was only happening when messaging with one person, but now I’ve noticed it with another person. I’ve checked all the settings as well and that didn’t help at all.

Newly received iPhone messages show above sent messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.