Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview stopped working as default app for opening PDF files

When I clicked on a PDF file in Finder (or email attachment), it would open with Preview.

This used to work for decades but not any longer: PDF files now open with some other PDF reader such as Acrobat reader, Skim... instead of Preview (although PDF files can still be opened from inside Preview).

I have tried to repair as follows: select PDF file, open file information (cmd-I) Open with... Preview and check box Change all.

It works but the problem will eventually reappear (maybe after I restart or relog, I do not know for sure).

Setting System preferences > Default apps > Extensions ... pdf ... Preview does no better.

I also encountered the likewise problem of JPEG files not opening with Preview but with some other JPEG reader.

How to permanently reset Preview as the default application for opening PDF and JPEG files?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 11:26 AM

10 replies

Jan 5, 2018 1:38 PM in response to VikingOSX

I used the ResetDefaults application before uninstalling the preference pane Default Apps.

I uninstalled the preference pane Default Apps with ctrl click (and this method is available for all other added preference panes: Flash Player, Java).

I continue the discussion because the bug has occurred again, for the first time since Dec. 24th, so as promised, I watched my steps.

Pdf files, when clicked, would suddenly open with Skim instead of Preview.

User uploaded file

Moreover, tiff files would not open with Preview anymore.

User uploaded file

This is easily repaired by going into the information windows, selecting Preview, checking 'Change all'.

Trying to open the file 'quittance de loyer.pdf' again, I observe this problem:

User uploaded file

while other pdf files open with Preview.

'quittance de loyer.pdf' can be opened with Skim (chosen after ctrl click).

Eventually, 'quittance de loyer.pdf' can also be opened with Preview.

So everything is fine now. Ten times I did the same but preferences eventually broke down.

Jan 23, 2018 2:52 AM in response to Dadadou

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Also see this post.

iMac often changes Preview for jpg files to Firefox or other

Dec 24, 2017 10:11 AM in response to Eric Root

I have uninstalled the preference pane Default Apps (with ctrl click).

Normally, this should have no effect as a preference pane is not a running program.

Anyway, I will not be able to check because my last repair has been successful (and resists restarting). I did as I already explained with the information window. However, something new occurred: all PDF file icons became empty and clicking one of them launched an application named ResetDefaults, as far as I remember, because I cannot find it anymore!

I will watch my steps more carefully if the setup breaks down again.

Jan 23, 2018 2:52 AM in response to Pierre Albarede

I have the same problem since the last few weeks. My difference is that the default PDF app became Adobe Acrobat. I also have gone to the info pane and had to select Preview (which was not among the drop down list so I had to get it via the 'other...' selection) followed by 'Change All'. This however last for the day and every day I have to re-select preview.

I deleted Adobe Acrobat pro, and now the default app is Adobe Photoshop.

I don't have the extension 'Default apps'.

Jan 23, 2018 2:59 AM in response to Dadadou

We have the same problem indeed. I also removed Acrobat reader. PDF will open in whatever application that can open PDF, except Preview. I agree that refreshing the plist as explained by Eric Root might help.

Actually, I do not have the problem any more so I cannot test.

Please test and let us know. It is totally harmless modification.

Preview stopped working as default app for opening PDF files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.