Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X GPS not working

I have tried all the of the restarting the location services, updating, all of it, and the GPS is still intermittent at best. Is there a fix for this on the $1000 phone?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 26, 2017 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2018 12:15 AM

Thought I'd add my experience.

No matter which GPS App I use on my iPhone X, it can't hold a lock on my position when driving, rendering it useless to me. GPS is what I primary use my phone for. Placed conveniently behind my steering wheel between the odometer and speedometer. My previous iPhone 4 and 6 never had this problem. I am starting to doubt this is a software issue and, by the sound of it, swapping the phone at Apple is probably futile as others have found. Given some time Apple might find a solution in software, otherwise I'll wait until a new hardware revision has come out and use my warranty to get a replacement. Maybe then the GPS will be fixed.

I bought the phone on the 8th of December 2017. As of day 1 I cannot use my GPS. Not happy Apple. The reasons why I bought this phone are my iPhone 6 kicked the bucket and my partner gifted me an Apple Watch, and as we know those things only work with iPhones. :/

104 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2018 12:15 AM in response to jkowerski

Thought I'd add my experience.

No matter which GPS App I use on my iPhone X, it can't hold a lock on my position when driving, rendering it useless to me. GPS is what I primary use my phone for. Placed conveniently behind my steering wheel between the odometer and speedometer. My previous iPhone 4 and 6 never had this problem. I am starting to doubt this is a software issue and, by the sound of it, swapping the phone at Apple is probably futile as others have found. Given some time Apple might find a solution in software, otherwise I'll wait until a new hardware revision has come out and use my warranty to get a replacement. Maybe then the GPS will be fixed.

I bought the phone on the 8th of December 2017. As of day 1 I cannot use my GPS. Not happy Apple. The reasons why I bought this phone are my iPhone 6 kicked the bucket and my partner gifted me an Apple Watch, and as we know those things only work with iPhones. :/

Jul 17, 2018 6:12 PM in response to jkowerski

I'm very new to iPhone X and this GPS problem, but thanks to this thread and specifically @moe52, I was able to solve it, at least for me. Here's the run down:

• We bought our new iPhone X's on Friday, July 13th and on Sunday we drove to and from Boston in my wife's Mini Cooper with no issues with the GPS.
  • On Monday & Tuesday I drove my 2006 BMW 330Ci convertible (E46) to work, and GPS (Waze) would not stay connected. It would connect for a few minutes and then lose the connection. Four trips over 40 miles in 2 days with little to no GPS. Needless to say I was a ****** off *****! 😠😠😠
  • Tonight, Tuesday July 17th, I took moe52's suggestion and disconnected the BMW OEM bluetooth module. I wasn't using it anyway because nothing would connect to it any longer because it is soooo old. I hopped in the car, and drove for 15 mins with no GPS issues! Waze was crisp and snappy! It recalculated routes very quickly. 🙂

Thank you all for this thread!

Tl;dr. Bought iPhone X & had GPS issues. Old OEM BMW bluetooth module interfered with GPS signal. Disconnected BMW bluetooth module, and GPS works now.

Jan 6, 2018 7:13 AM in response to jkowerski

I also had the same issue start on 12/27/17, unfortunately the day I landed in TN to visit my brother. I tried two replacement phones through my AT&T insurance and had the same problem. It only fixed when I changed my Sim card to a new one. I cannot explain it as I felt that the problem was probably a hardware issue inside the phone but it did fix it so I don’t know if that might be a solution for you.

Jan 6, 2018 12:38 PM in response to jkowerski

I too have been having GPS issues from day one with my iPhone X. I get the same behavior with Waze, Google maps, and apple maps. The app acquires GPS for maybe 5% of the time, the rest of has a general idea of my location but I'm lost as far as the apps are concerned.

I work in technology so I have some sympathy for the challenges in deploying major code releases, but I expect a fix by now for a $1000 device. I also expect official support sites to have some official support.

This level of service is how you lose customers. And believe it or not Apple, you do need us!

Jan 22, 2018 5:39 PM in response to jkowerski

I'll add my comment, with a super-weird additional bit of data. Apple swapped my iPhone X and it still does it but get this: It -only- does it when I am in my BMW Z4. Not in any other car. Not when the car is off. Only in that car. Not 100% of the time, either. And in that same car, other iPhones' GPS work fine. It only happens with the iPhone X (two separate units) and only that car.

Jan 23, 2018 9:02 AM in response to moe52

If this only happens in specific cars, I wonder if people have seen GPS location breaking when they get in. Maybe it's something unique about the bluetooth unit in that car. I now occasionally see the same problem on a 6S plus since December in a Mazda CX5. Never saw it before December. I'll try to consistently turn on GPS before getting to the car to see if that helps.

Jan 24, 2018 7:13 PM in response to jkowerski

So following up. Apple is INSISTING there is no problem at all. Like many others. They have sent me a new phone. And it still isn’t working. They say that no one else in this world is having this problem and it’s must be just my phone. It’s one thing to admit there is a probelm and make it right with those of us that want our $1000 phones to work....it’s another thing to just keep telling me I am the only one with this problem when clearly it isn’t just me. I’m pretty much done with Apple at this point.

Jan 28, 2018 8:30 AM in response to pgk2008

I have the same issue when on foot.

However, in general the problem has improved in the last week or so (not sure exactly). After couple of months of consistent problems I am now getting GPS lock more than 50% of the time in the car. Before it was about 5-10%.

But of course it doesn't actually exist, does it Apple? I'm must be imagining it.

Jan 28, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I think the comment was meant towards Apple who maybe like me, the person is beening told by Apple, that this isn’t a problem and they have no idea why anyone is complaining about it. It’s frustrating because even last week when I contacted Apple they are still shocked that anyone has this problem and they are telling me that no one is complaining about it and it must just be the brand new phone they just sent me not working right.

iPhone X GPS not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.