Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 support on High Sierra is broken

Some graphic elements are replaced by black areas in applications like Mail, Finder, Safari, etc. using a MacBook Pro early 2011 with the integrated graphic card.

I observed the problem in at least 4 different applications, most being official Apple software.

The more critical is Mail, you just can't read mail at all.

Note that all worked properly on Sierra.

Switching between graphic cards resolve temporary the issue:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mo: ISSUE

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 Go: NO ISSUES

Using the native Apple LCD profile: PARTIAL ISSUES (may appear temporarily, etc.)

Using personal calibration profile: ISSUE

Using third party calibration profiles: ISSUE (vary according to the selected profile)

Note that the issue can be partial and may appear intermittently as when using Spaces, for example. Switching between spaces (with 3 fingers using the trackpad) lets appear temporarily the issue in some area.

A Mail screenshot with the problem:

User uploaded file

You can view the problem here:

https://imgur.com/a/n1yy6

https://imgur.com/a/m2aZz

Some people had this problem with the native color profile.

Some of them, solved the problem using the Calibrators software that you can find in the preference panes.

You can avoid the issue in Mail disabling the conversation mode (Organize by Conversations).

You can find some details on MacRumors forum:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mail-conversation-view-broken-showing-black -in-mac-os-high-sierra.2074912/page-2

• MacBook Pro 15" early 2011
  • macOS High Sierra, 10.13.2
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mo
  • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 Go
  • 16 Go 1333 MHz DDR3

Tags:

Black, box, square, graphic, problem, issue, Mail, Safari, High Sierra, 10.13, 2011, MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), early 2011

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 9:36 AM

49 replies

Jan 9, 2018 1:18 PM in response to LeSpace

I also have an Early 2011 MacBook Pro with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics card. I seem to be experiencing a similar issue with areas of the screen showing black squares. In my case, when using checklist items in the Notes app, the unchecked items appear as small black squares. Since I have a custom color profile that was created prior to the upgrade, I reverted back to the default Color LCD profile. Doing so seems to have resolved this issue on the MacBook screen. When I connect an external display, the black squares come back if I move the Notes window onto that desktop. It too has a custom profile assigned, and changing the external display profile to Color LCD fixed the issue there as well. (System Preferences > Display > Color tab. Select the Color LCD profile).

I do wonder what happens if I update the color profiles again now that High Sierra is installed. For monitor calibration, I use the X-Rite ColorMunki Display, and it looks like they recently released a software update version 1.1.5 to address "add support for MacOS 10.13 High Sierra." So, I hope to update this software, re-profile, and report back with my findings. I'd also be curious to know if any other Macs with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 adapter are having issues (such as the mid-2011 MacMini).

User uploaded file

Feb 25, 2018 3:17 AM in response to m_emelchenkov

I have a very similar problem.

A monitor from Eizo is connected to my 2011 iMac. Because I use this monitor for image editing and graphics, it is profiled and calibrated.

The iMac has an Apple profile.

When I move windows from one screen to another, all fonts are hidden with black bars.

However, this only happens if the two devices have different color sync profiles. If both - iMac and Eizo - are set to the same Color Sync profile, there is no problem.

iMac mid-2011 Intel Core i5,2.5 GHz, 12 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 6, 2018 10:54 AM in response to LeSpace

It's not end-user software and I do not sell it. (For your information—serious ICC software costs 500 - 3000 EUR and even more, and some software distributed only with high-priced calibration devices and scanners). Custom software development will cost to you much more, x20 at least. I only offer service of solving our problem—it includes manual work too. You can wait another 8 months, maybe then Steve Jobs arises from the grave and will make Apple great again... or wait until the computer will end its life and you will need to buy something else. For those who need to work here and now, it's a perfect and cheap solution.

Mar 6, 2018 7:28 PM in response to LeSpace

I have the same issue. I submitted a question in the MacBook Air section. Look for “Why are mail conversation unreadable black screens after High Sierra update?”

The problem not only affects Mail. It also appears to be an issue in the Finder, Safari, and Preview. More details in the question I referenced above.

I left feedback with Apple. Who knows if anything will get fixed.

• MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D102)
  • 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Jan 9, 2018 2:36 AM in response to LeSpace

I have the same issue - Macbook Pro late 2011.

I started looking at profiles and calibrations after reading the comments in the MacRumours thread.

I found that, with the laptop open and the secondary screen connected, if I had the Mail window on the secondary screen then mail would turn conversations into black boxes. If I dragged the mail window to the laptop screen everything was visible. I checked which profile was selected for the secondary monitor - 3 were listed as available. The one for the monitor by name was not selected - it was some other profile (HD709A). I selected the monitor profile (VG2439 Series) and all was fixed.

Not good if you use custom profiles but this fixed my issue.

Jan 10, 2018 7:18 AM in response to dskwared

Well, I upgraded my ColorMunki software to the latest version and re-profiled my display. Unfortunately, even with the new custom profile (taken after the High Sierra upgrade), the problem with the black elements returns. Fortunately in my case, setting the color profile back to the default "Color LCD" profile fixes the issue. So I guess for now, I'll just have to switch between custom color profiles when doing photo editing, and default profiles for other routine tasks.

Jan 14, 2018 1:11 PM in response to dskwared

In my case, I am using Datacolor software Spyder5Elite in the latest version.
I asked the company for support and they replied to me that was an Apple side issue giving me the link to MacRumors...

I can't verify on your computer, but I'm pretty sure that even with the LCD profile, there are some issues still present even if you didn't notice them. For me, for example, they can appear slightly and briefly using Spaces and switching with the trackpad and three fingers.

Apple changes a lot of things under the hood with High Sierra and we can't say that it is well-born.

I hope Apple will resolve these problems in the next version and will not "forget" us...

Feb 8, 2018 12:03 AM in response to LeSpace

Thanks for your idea, I solved it.

MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 2011

High Sierra 10.13.3

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

whit monitor Samsung T27D390

set "LCD profile" on MacBook

do the calibration without change se setting

now you have a new "Calibrate LCD profile"

this solve the MacBook problems

on the Samsung set the same profile "Calibrate LCD profile" with calibrate

sorry for my english

Feb 16, 2018 6:46 AM in response to m_emelchenkov

Apple will communicate with the original bug report owner if they need additional information. All subsequent bug reports for the same problem, are returned to their originators' with duplicate-closed status.

All you will achieve by a firestorm of bug reports is annoying the people that screen them (not the product or engineering managers) and any motivation that you create may be contrary to your goal.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 support on High Sierra is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.