Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X camera lens crack

I was outside in extremely cold weather and noticed that my rear camera lens had cracked.

Took it to Apple and was told I still need to pay $99 to have this repaired. Has anyone else had this issue?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2018 11:15 AM

31 replies

Jan 22, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Vrolan

Hi

I have no Apple care.. I took it to the Genius Bar but they wouldn’t help and even if I had apple care they said it would cost around $800AD... unbelievable! It has really put me off apple ,( the latest battery scandal doesn’t help either) I have had every Apple iPhone but this maybe my last one, especially after this last example of a poorly made product.... very disappointed.

Jan 22, 2018 8:48 PM in response to Jed112233

I have the same issue, I’ve had my phone x a week now and have been extra careful. I just noticed a small horizontal crack in the middle of the camera llens. It’s virtually undetectable and had gone unnotiiced. The only way I found it was while wiping the lens and felt a chip. I’m upset with Apple for lack of quality control and myself that I didn’t catch this before I walked out of the store...didn’t think I had to. I’ll make appt with Apple to grip, not sure if Apple care plan will cover but regardless will have to get fixed.

Jan 30, 2018 6:09 PM in response to Jed112233

I live in Australia and no cold here. Soon as I got my phone I put it immediately into a strong case.

I was wiping my screen and lens and noticed a small unnoticeable crack on the back lens. I have never dropped my phone and I don't do any sort of activity with it.

This is very upsetting as I have upgraded every year and always taken perfectly good care of my apple products.

I have yet to see a response from Apple on this? I have an appointment at the Genius Bar and as this is a problem they seem to have with many people I would like to see a good response from them.

Kind regards.

Jan 30, 2018 6:53 PM in response to graeme111

Hey Graeme

Let us know how you get on at the Genius Bar... I had them look at my cracked lens and they said accidental breakage and with no care plan $750 plus for a full replacement!!!!! So I’ll be interested in how you get on ??? I’m hoping enough people have this problem and Apple come to the party and admit it’s a faulty product........ good luck !!!

Feb 1, 2018 12:20 PM in response to Jed112233

Same here. Bought iPhone X right before Christmas, and found a crack on the rear camera glass last night. The phone has been used with cover all the time and no drop or accident. Went to Apple Store this morning and was told to pay a whopping $549 to have it fixed (our phone is a 256GB iPhone X)!! Are you kidding me Apple??? This obviously is a design/material flaw! We are so very disappointed. Currently all family members are using iPhone but with such a bad experience we will switch.

Is anyone from Apple actively monitoring this discussion board?

Feb 1, 2018 1:03 PM in response to Jed112233

I wouldn’t hold my breath! After going to the Genius Bar the other day and there response.

I’m seriously considering switching over the pixel after having every single iPhone since it’s inception..... this would have be the worst experience I have had with any iPhone... the most expensive iPhone but the most faulty.

Feb 12, 2018 5:58 AM in response to Jed112233

Had my iPhone X for not even a month and my screen started ghost touching to the point were I couldn’t even use the phone and it would get very hot then I noticed that there was also a small crack on the camera lens..

I contacted Apple explained that I hadn’t dropped or knocked the phone and the problems and was assured that both the lens and the screen would be fixed under warranty.

Received my phone back and the camera lens still had the crack in it...

After 2 hours on the phone to Apple and 3 different people I was told that it is normal wear and tear.. I have gotten the new iPhone every year this will be my last. Apples “warranty” is a joke.

Feb 14, 2018 5:14 PM in response to Jed112233

Same issue here. Small hairline crack on the rear camera, starting from the LED and crossing the upper camera.. I am thinking this may have been caused by heat from the LED. I was using the flashlight on full brightness to read a menu, then took a couple of pictures after diner with flash. Live View seems to indicate that the crack appears in photos after the flash. That LED flash gets hot!

Just got back from Apple in California. There is no way to replace the camera lens because it is part of the case. They will not cover it under warranty. So, I gave them 588 dollars (tax included) for a replacement phone. They listened to my long argument, but no satisfaction.

No Apple Care, but I think my Visa will cover the repair. No longer an Apple Fanboy. My X is now in an ugly OtterBox. What is the point of an elegant design if the glass is so fragile?

Feb 26, 2018 8:39 PM in response to Jed112233

I'm in Puebla, México and I have the same problem, the rear camera glass of my iPhone X it's broken. I took my iPhone to a distributor of Apple in my city and they said me that I need to pay 630 usd for a change of phone. I don't have an apple care garantee. I called to the apple support center and they told me that this problem have a solution but it's necessary take the iPhone to the oficial Apple store in Mexico City. The problem is the existence of this replacement piece in the stocktaking of store.

I hope they have the lens.

iPhone X camera lens crack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.