Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

iMacPro, Mac OS 10.13.2

Diskutil gives this warning when running "first aid": warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)

Strange that brand new computer gives warnings, should I be worried about this?

This is whole message list:

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking volume.

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the object map.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Checking the object map.

Checking the fsroot tree.

warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0)

warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0)

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the snapshots.

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2018 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 10:45 AM

iMacPro, Mac OS 10.13.2

I received my first IMac Pro in December and found the 3 crypto_val warnings. I was only able to clear this by erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. On the same computer, I also has finder issues. When creating a new folder, i would get an error code -43). Ultimately Apple issued a return.

Jump forward to today 010518, the new iMac Pro arrived. I ran Disk Utility and the 3 crypto_val warnings are on this unit as well. I will be again, erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS to try and resolve.

129 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 10:45 AM in response to spertti

iMacPro, Mac OS 10.13.2

I received my first IMac Pro in December and found the 3 crypto_val warnings. I was only able to clear this by erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. On the same computer, I also has finder issues. When creating a new folder, i would get an error code -43). Ultimately Apple issued a return.

Jump forward to today 010518, the new iMac Pro arrived. I ran Disk Utility and the 3 crypto_val warnings are on this unit as well. I will be again, erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS to try and resolve.

Jan 31, 2018 7:31 AM in response to spertti

Just an update for anyone who may be helped by my experience.

About 10 days ago I decided to take the extreme measure of erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS after trying the other steps suggested including disabling FileVault and installing the OS in recovery mode.

Phase 1: Started iMac Pro in Safe Mode and erased hard drive using Disk Utility. I then did a fresh install of macOS High Sierra. I ran Disk Utility First Aid on the fresh install and all three crypto_val warnings were gone and Disk Utility reported the disk was fine.

Phase 2: Enabled FileVault. Then I ran First Aid and Disk Utility reported the disk was fine with no sign of the crypto_val warnings.

Phase 3: I again booted the iMac Pro in Safe Mode, erased the hard drive and did a full system restore from Time Machine. I then ran Disk Utility First Aid on the fresh Time Machine install and all three crypto_val warnings were gone and Disk Utility reported the disk was fine.

Phase 4: Enabled FileVault again. Then I ran First Aid and Disk Utility reported the disk was fine with no crypto_val warnings.

Phase 5: Partitioned hard drive and installed Windows 10 Home via Bootcamp Assistant. Then booted back to macOS and ran First Aid and Disk Utility which reported the disk was fine, still no crypto_val warnings.

Of note however, ever since the fresh installs if I run Disk Utility First Aid I always have to force relaunch Finder because all my folders / files disappear particularly on my external hard drives and Dropbox. However, force relaunch brings them back... so there seems to be some bugginess remaining although the machine seems to be running fine with no other issues as of now.

Feb 1, 2018 8:11 PM in response to acantril

Okay...here is an update.

Since my last post, I did the following:

1. Ran the Apple HardWare Test/Diagnostics (as per this link) and no errors were reported and everything was in good shape 🙂

2. Booted into recovery mode and ran Disk Utility there... Disk Utility went thru the 17 snapshots and showed this same error (3 times) with each snapshot BUT ended with a report that the main volume was OK !!

3. Called Apple Support and described this in detail to them and they told me that this error was really nothing to worry about.

I am happy to ignore it for now because I am not having any other issues going on and I CERTAINLY don't want to wipe and reinstall everything. I will keep you posted with any other updates!!

Feb 3, 2018 9:23 AM in response to acantril

acantril wrote:

Ok so, here are my problems, and ill try and be brief.

1) Warnings are never ok - it's a warning - and for apple to suggest 'its not a problem' is BS.

This would not be the first time Disk Utility gives a warning that could be disregarded. But often Apple does have a tech note telling us that those warnings are expected (a number of years ago there were repeated Access Control List "errors" noted that were non-issues) and I've not yet seen an Apple response to these crypto warnings.

I did tell the Senior Advisor I spoke with that we need to know if these rather dire sounding messages are actually a concern. He did suggest that we all send that feedback about this at Feedback - iMac Pro - Apple.

2) When i enable filevault or disable it, it's instant, no progress bar. This isnt the case on any other apple devices, even those using 10.13 & APFS. this COULD be a iMacPro thing - but it would be nice to know this. Why is this important ? is filevault even on ? it says its on, but if there is no encryption time for a HD with data on it - is it REALLY encrypted ?

As the iMac Pro has the new T2 System Management Controller with a Secure Enclave that already encrypts the SSD, I'm guessing it doesn't require an extra step while encrypting the drive. I'm not sure what the advantage is of doing FileVault on an iMac Pro- Apple says to back up files as that may be the only way to recover them after a hardware failure because of the automatic encryption on these new computers.

3) When filevault is on ... the login screen is REALLY laggy ... stuttering mouse, missed keys - makes typing a password REALLY hard (the KB part is ok when wired, really bad when using BT).

I have not turned on FileVault, so I don't have a direct response to that aspect.

I can tell you that my electromagnetic field is quite complicated with 5 computers, multiple iOS devices, and a wifi hub all within a 5' radius of my keyboard and trackpad. I have found in general that I'm much happier with my Apple BT keyboards and trackpads when they are "wired". The new BT keyboard that came with the iMac Pro is much less prone to disconnection when running wireless than any other BT accessories and has worked flawlessly with my iMac Pro so far for recovery mode and safe boots, etc.

4) then the whole 'missing files' thing in finder.. which is fixed via a finder restart/reboot - ive never had that on other apple devices with the same OS.

That is a pretty weird bug! Scared me pretty good when all my files were gone!!! (spoiler alert: they were all still there) I've found that a secondary click on the Finder icon in the dock and then selecting "relaunch" takes care of that much quicker.

I wonder if they're related...i may be trying a SSD erase soon - becaus ei know this will eat away at me until i fix it.

I did do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup and then erased my iMac's SSD on the recommendation of my Senior Advisor. He suggested not using Migration Assistant to bring back the System that may have caused all the errors, etc. I did manually move my work files from my clone. The System did come from my old MacBook Pro, and I choose not to bring that stuff into the confounding artifacts category after a clean install.

I am very much looking forward to the next macOS update for this machine. I have a number of apps that are really going to kick some butt when optimized for this new powerhouse of a Mac!

Best wishes.

Feb 27, 2018 1:03 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Regarding temperature: Up to yesterday I was thinking there aren't any fans inside my iMac Pro or they're very very silent. I never was able to hear them, even when rendering 4k movies with iMovie (this let the fans of my old iMac making noise after some few seconds). But yesterday I noticed the fans pretty loud. Funny what my iMac Pro was doing: Nothing! It was in sleep mode but with the internal screen saver running.
Does this screen saver need more performance than iMovie? I can't believe...

I just opened another thread on my iMac here: Re: my iMac Pro issuesRe: my iMac Pro issues

May 2, 2018 10:13 AM in response to Kadorito

For me, the wipe/restore eliminated all the crypto errors.

My remaining iMac Pro issue is with system sounds sometimes repeating once per second. I have traced that back to Xcode's iOS Simulator running on my iMac Pro, and have submitted a report via Apple's Bug Reporting website. Apple's team has already responded to my report, so they are clearly taking iMac Pro issues seriously.

Jan 10, 2018 3:39 PM in response to spertti

Same issue here. A few additional symptoms:

• Downloaded DMG are available in Disk Utility yet not found in the Finder.
  • It seems some downloadable files are not found in the download folder
  • a few kernel panics today as well with straight reboot
  • Tons of folders just disappeared from DropBox as well (were there yesterday).
  • Disk util did not fix it

Maybe I should have completed a user migration my user info?

Will try a Recovery and see if that works-full reinstall if needed.... 😟

update: ended up booting to recovery and running disk util-my dropbox folders have reappeared and the DMGs are now seen again and can be mounted...but the warning still appears when running disk util after reboot and during the recovery/first aid-may try to run Drive Genius or Onyx....

I guess it was temporary relief-some files are still returning an error -43 when trying to open, and newer downloads are not appearing in the Finder...

Jan 20, 2018 2:01 PM in response to RollingRiverRock

Hi there RollingRiverRock,

How is it going with your new iMac Pro after erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS?

I am having the exact same issues on my new iMac Pro and wondering if I should wait a bit longer to return and replace... if it is just going to happen on the new iMac Pro also. Thinking I should wait a bit longer and see if Apple figures out what is going on and what hardware (hard drives / GPUs) ??? need to be replaced.

Jan 30, 2018 8:00 PM in response to acantril

Also - when enabling or disabling FileVault ... does anyone get a progress indication ? on the iMac pro, at least on mine, it doesn't give a bar, or a percentage. It's immediate - I'm getting paranoid if its enabling it or not.

Also when enabled, does anyone get any lag/stuttering on the login screen when using BT keyboard/mouse ?

Jan 30, 2018 11:58 PM in response to spertti

I got the same problem. I received my brand new iMacPro yesterday and it went in boot loop for a couple of hours soon after I updated to 10.13.3. Then when I entered into recovery mode I found the 3 crypto_val warnings and no way to fix them.

I will probably format and see if that helps but the disappointment is huge...I mean, to have issues from such an expensive machine just out of the box...

By the way, I managed to get the mac booting from recovery choosing to restart by selecting the boot drive, if it could be of any use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.