Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro accomplishments

I'm trying to explain to my high school students why we use FCP. They want to know what TV shows it is used to edit.
I have found a couple but but can't find a compelling list. I have a list of films from Wik, but they want TV shows they've heard of. Help please!

several Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 19, 2007 2:58 PM

33 replies

Jan 19, 2007 3:08 PM in response to grims

SCRUBS was the first I believe. That is the big one.

I have used it to edit History Channel docs...THE MEXICAN AMERICAN WAR, BLOOD DIAMONDS, and now in the middle of ANDREW JACKSON. GOOD EATS on the Food Network is onlined with FCP.

BEYOND THE BREAK for Noggin is edited with FCP. As was CAKE and DANCE REVOLUTION for CBS Saturday Morning (same company did all).

Shane
User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2007 3:22 PM in response to Jake Abramson

OH...duh...I am leaving out a HUGE company that does work for MTV.

http://www.apple.com/itpro/profiles/bunim-murray/

Bunim Murray produces THE REAL WORLD, ROAD RULES for MTV, and THE SIMPLE LIFE (Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie) for...not sure what network carries those insane bimbos now...and they not only edit with FCP, but have 100 FCP stations networked with XSAN to 43 TB of storage. They shoot XDCAM and deliver Beta SX.

And they are down the street from me. How could I forget those guys?

Shane
User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2007 3:40 PM in response to grims

I'm trying to explain to my high school students why
we use FCP. They want to know what TV shows it
is used to edit.
I have found a couple but but can't find a compelling
list.

A compelling list? The software doesn't make the show the editor does. No amount of fancy equipment makes anyone a competent editor. I know that kids today do not know a world without computers but they need to understand that learning a software program only mean that you learned a software program. If you don't have the talent to utilize that knowledge it's useless.

Tell your Generation Next students to read this post and watch the video.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=806814&start=0&tstart=0

It says a lot about fancy equipment versus talent. Then make them write a paragraph explaining the significance of the post...full sentences, proper grammer and spelling counts.

Geez!

Jan 19, 2007 7:13 PM in response to grims

Michelle,

Please reply!

Sorry, went out to dinner. Believe me I know, I have two teenagers and I substitute teach on occasion when the freelance gigs get slow. I know you think that I'm missing your point, but the fact is good editing has nothing to do with good software.

Good software makes it more efficient, easier and allows creativity, but it doesn't have anything to do with the actual skills associated with excellent productions. A good editor is a good editor on just about any equipment, and a bad editor is a bad editor on the best equipment.

I'd like to see students who learn the craft and not the software. When I graduated from college with a BA in broadcasting we were working with 2" 1" and 3/4" inch editing. Some of the edit suites took up entire rooms. Nothing was frame accurate and everything was done real-time in a linear setting. Anything but straight cut edits required a very expensive switcher and special effects were next to nill.

Now I work with a G5 doing what it took a room full of equipment to do when I graduated. No equipment I used 20 years ago is part of what I do now, but the basic skills remain the same. It doesn't matter what software you use because in less the two years it's gonna' change.

Its a bit unnerving that your students seem to want verification that they are learning something of value in learning a certain software program. When in fact the value lies in the skill not in the software. It's the equivalent of asking if the best paper was used to print Shakespeare. The value lies in the words not in the paper it's printed on.

Jan 20, 2007 7:18 AM in response to grims

I'm trying to explain to my high school students why we use FCP. They want to know what TV shows it is used to edit.< </div>

Forget rationalizing your software decisions. They all know how to use the Internet to search. Assign the question as homework.

I've allowed myself to get roped into a teaching assistant slot for a beginning After Effects class at Boise State University. "Why should I learn AE?" came up early. I said, "Why did you sign up for the class? Start at adobe.com and come back with an answer."

bogiesan

Jan 20, 2007 7:48 AM in response to grims

Michelle wrote:
It's the equivalent of asking if the best paper was used to print Shakespeare. The value lies in the words not in the paper it's printed on.

The same thing applies to Photoshop and other graphics apps. Someone gets the "best" software, and they suddenly think they're artists.

Someone with proper training can make viable artwork even if they use simple software (like Microsoft Paint). Someone with no creative flair won't be able to do much, no matter how fabulous their graphics software (i.e. Photoshop). Same thing applies here.

But, given a choice, I'd rather have FCP rather than Windows Movie Maker, I'll tell you that!

Final Cut Pro accomplishments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.