Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: 10.13.2 supplemental update hangs on Installation is in Progress

Just ran the newly released 10.13.2 supplemental update. Installed fine on my MacBook Pro. On my Mac mini (latest model), however, the computer is hung up at about 66% progress with the message "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." status. With much hesitation I tried a hard reset after almost an hour of waiting. Upon restart it hangs at the same spot. Any ideas? I'm currently out of commission so any help would be much appreciated!

Mac mini

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jan 8, 2018 8:02 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

Just installed this update, it did take a long time.

Downloaded via the AppStore, took an hour.

Then Mac Restarted, had white screen with Apple logo for about 40minutes, then seemed to stop at about 75 percent

and stopped. Left it. The went to black screen with white Apps logo and a countdown of 16 minutes.

After 16 minutes back to the desktop, and all the ironing was done.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Jan 8, 2018 12:05 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Jan 8, 2018 12:05 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Helpful

Jan 8, 2018 8:02 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

Just installed this update, it did take a long time.

Downloaded via the AppStore, took an hour.

Then Mac Restarted, had white screen with Apple logo for about 40minutes, then seemed to stop at about 75 percent

and stopped. Left it. The went to black screen with white Apps logo and a countdown of 16 minutes.

After 16 minutes back to the desktop, and all the ironing was done.

Jan 8, 2018 8:02 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 8, 2018 1:17 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

It does take quite a long time to install which means there is more

to it than just a Safari patch or two. Some especially scary moments

when seeing progress bar jump back, black screens, gray screens, etc.

Eventually all was well.

About 10 minutes on a 2011 MacBook Pro and late 2013 27" iMac.

Both with aftermarket SSD. I expect my 2010 Mini I use as a server to

take a bit longer (it also has SSD).

For Sierra, it was just a simple Safari update. Done deal.

Jan 8, 2018 1:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 8, 2018 2:04 PM in response to woodmeister50 In response to woodmeister50

I also have a 2011 MBP with a Samsung SSD running High Sierra. I was one of the ones who could not get .2 to install, still shows me at .1. Looked in App store update and no High Sierra .2 supplemental one showing.

How did you get update? Seems like lots of issues around these security updates?

Jan 8, 2018 2:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 8, 2018 4:12 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

Every setup seems to be different. I have my mid-2012 MBP with me now and it only took 5 minutes from the time it restarted to where I could open Safari. Startup did seem slow though, but at no time did it seem like it was hanging.

Jan 8, 2018 4:12 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Jan 8, 2018 8:05 PM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

Thanks all for the comments. After banging my head against the wall and multiple attempts to start in safe mode and restart the update, I finally decided to give even more patience a try. The install took 74 minutes on my Mac Mini 2014 (8GB RAM, Fusion HD). The Mac Book Pro took probably around 20 minutes. Not sure why such a big difference, perhaps it is the SSD vs Fusion drive.

Jan 8, 2018 8:05 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 9, 2018 4:24 AM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

There was one oddity I ran across when updating my 2011 Mac Mini

that I use as a media server/HTPC.

My three other Macs went through the usual update type screens (with some

of the "scary things" mentioned in my earlier post. However, the 2011 Mini actually

displayed a High Sierra install splash screen for several minutes during the update

before returning to the usual update screens. It still updated properly and is working

fine, just quite odd.

Jan 9, 2018 4:24 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 9, 2018 8:58 AM in response to ezrabud98 In response to ezrabud98

On my old 2010 MBA the update installed very quickly, but on my 2014-ish (not sure) iMac with Fusion drive the update also took about 45 minutes.

No reason to get alarmed, on my computer the message "...calculating time remaining" was show for a very long time and the update progress bar seemed stuck at roughly 3/4.

Just hang in there, it'll work out.

Jan 9, 2018 8:58 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: ezrabud98

Question: 10.13.2 supplemental update hangs on Installation is in Progress