Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.2 supplemental update hangs on Installation is in Progress

Just ran the newly released 10.13.2 supplemental update. Installed fine on my MacBook Pro. On my Mac mini (latest model), however, the computer is hung up at about 66% progress with the message "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." status. With much hesitation I tried a hard reset after almost an hour of waiting. Upon restart it hangs at the same spot. Any ideas? I'm currently out of commission so any help would be much appreciated!

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 12:05 PM

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 12:05 PM in response to ezrabud98

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Jan 8, 2018 8:05 PM in response to ezrabud98

Thanks all for the comments. After banging my head against the wall and multiple attempts to start in safe mode and restart the update, I finally decided to give even more patience a try. The install took 74 minutes on my Mac Mini 2014 (8GB RAM, Fusion HD). The Mac Book Pro took probably around 20 minutes. Not sure why such a big difference, perhaps it is the SSD vs Fusion drive.

Jan 13, 2018 10:45 AM in response to ezrabud98

To all people with the supplemental update hung progress bar...mine was filled 100% and I waited about one hour to no resolution...so what I did was power-shutdown the Mac and turning it on again...still stuck...

So here's what worked: power-down the Mac, turn it on, when you hear the bell immediately press CMD+OPT+P+R and keep pressed these four buttons until you hear the bell again.

That's PRAM reset, for those who don't know about it.

My Mac went all the way to the login screen this time, and I could confirm by verifying Safari version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.6) that the supplemental update was installed correctly ( see About the security content of macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update - Apple Support ).

Jan 8, 2018 8:02 PM in response to ezrabud98

Just installed this update, it did take a long time.

Downloaded via the AppStore, took an hour.

Then Mac Restarted, had white screen with Apple logo for about 40minutes, then seemed to stop at about 75 percent

and stopped. Left it. The went to black screen with white Apps logo and a countdown of 16 minutes.

After 16 minutes back to the desktop, and all the ironing was done.

Jan 8, 2018 1:17 PM in response to ezrabud98

It does take quite a long time to install which means there is more

to it than just a Safari patch or two. Some especially scary moments

when seeing progress bar jump back, black screens, gray screens, etc.

Eventually all was well.

About 10 minutes on a 2011 MacBook Pro and late 2013 27" iMac.

Both with aftermarket SSD. I expect my 2010 Mini I use as a server to

take a bit longer (it also has SSD).

For Sierra, it was just a simple Safari update. Done deal.

Jan 9, 2018 4:24 AM in response to ezrabud98

There was one oddity I ran across when updating my 2011 Mac Mini

that I use as a media server/HTPC.

My three other Macs went through the usual update type screens (with some

of the "scary things" mentioned in my earlier post. However, the 2011 Mini actually

displayed a High Sierra install splash screen for several minutes during the update

before returning to the usual update screens. It still updated properly and is working

fine, just quite odd.

Jan 9, 2018 8:58 AM in response to ezrabud98

On my old 2010 MBA the update installed very quickly, but on my 2014-ish (not sure) iMac with Fusion drive the update also took about 45 minutes.

No reason to get alarmed, on my computer the message "...calculating time remaining" was show for a very long time and the update progress bar seemed stuck at roughly 3/4.

Just hang in there, it'll work out.

Jan 9, 2018 11:55 AM in response to ezrabud98

FWIW. I just tried this supplemental update this morning with my 2014 Mac mini. I came across the same issue that you experienced with being "stuck" at the "Installation is in progress..." stage. Similarly, restarting the mini, brought up the same screen. My resolution was to perform a recovery mode re-install of macOS High Sierra.

Instead of trying it again, my tact is to hold off until Apple addresses this.

Jan 9, 2018 12:01 PM in response to Tesserax

I initially panicked a bit when the installation seemed stuck, and shut off my computer but pressing and holding the power button.

When I restarted, it took a couple of minutes, but then it launched straight into the installation again, and it again zoomed to about 3/4 on the progress bar.

By that time I had found this thread and decided to just wait and see what happens. In the end, as I wrote before, the installation eventually succeeded and it took about 45 minutes.

Was I lucky, of are some people just having bad luck? I don't know.

Jan 9, 2018 12:27 PM in response to Tesserax

Quite honestly, I don't know exactly how long it took.

Maybe the first attempt I aborted after about 20 minutes or so, and then on the second attempt after I restarted my iMac the progress bar immediately zoomed to where it left off.

I then decided to just to work on my laptop and after roughly 20-30 minutes I saw that the login screen had appeared on my iMac.

Like I said, roughly 45 minutes all together.

Yes could be an issue with the Fusion Drive. My late 2010 Macbook Air with an SSD installed the update without a hitch.

My mom has an old (2010 if I remember correctly) iMac with a standard HDD. She has not updated yet, but I'll probably do it tomorrow. If there are any issues I'll let everybody here know.

10.13.2 supplemental update hangs on Installation is in Progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.