Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EGPU DOES NOT WORK WITH NEW FCPX 10.4 UPDATE

I RECENTLY UPDATED FCPX AND BEFORE THE UPDATE MY EGPU WORKED FINE THEN AFTER THE UPDATE I NOTICED MY RENDERING TIMES WERE SLOWER THEN I USED A APP CALLED ISTATS MENU THAT CHECKS THE USAGE OF MY GPU'S AND WHEN I START RENDERING A VIDEO IT AUTOMATICALLY SWITCHES TO MY INTERNAL GPU..ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO FIX THIS?

THANK YOU

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 3:40 AM

17 replies

Jan 9, 2018 5:59 AM in response to inverseplayerk

Please don't write in all caps. It is virtual shouting and unpleasant.

Can you give more details, please? What is your machine, and your EGPU? How is it connected?

What OS version? EGPU as I understand it have yet limited support, and only over TB3 and on High Sierra.

Nevertheless, since it was working before, I'd expect it to also work on the most recent version.

Jan 22, 2018 4:31 PM in response to inverseplayerk

Thanks mate. I did all that. What I am finding is that it 4x quicker for optical flow on ProRes Media. Stabilize is the same or slightly slower. Render is slower than MacBook UNLESS I add some grading and sharpening. Then the eGPU pulls ahead by about 50%. Playback on timeline with some FCPX effects added is the same 40 frames per second. So, it is seeing the card. I have istat menu to monitor it and I can see the card working. Optical flow makes it work really hard. The rest, not so much. Not sure if that this is worth it. I was hoping for my old Mac Pro 2013 speeds for stabilizing and rendering. Any input is SO much appreciated.

Jan 22, 2018 4:52 PM in response to inverseplayerk

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree. BruceX was wicked fast with the eGPU, but on everyday task on the timeline, it is not utilized. My workflow consists on making short highlight reels or short films (3 min) and I rely heavily on grabbing 10 second clips into the timeline, stabilizing them, optical flowing them, rendering each clip on the timeline before exporting to see how it looks. So eGPU only helps in the optical flow area of that task. A shame it won't pick up the pace for the other tasks in my work flow. Unless I am doing something wrong. Playback is the same and importing Canon's awful Photo Jpeg codec and converting it to ProRes is all the same time. CPU tasks I guess. Do you think I might be doing something wrong? Thanks so much!

Jan 22, 2018 6:56 PM in response to mclarenf1

Well the way i would do it is import all your clips to the timeline then adjust the clips how you want then edit one clip apply your effects to it like stabilize etc. command+c that clip then select your entire timeline then click command+shift+v to apply your effects to the entire timeline that will drastically increase your time instead of editing each 10 sec clip

Jan 27, 2018 5:15 AM in response to mclarenf1

Here is what works: eGPU-accelerated playback, rendering, and exporting from within FCPX (but Compressor seems to still be CPU only).

On MacOs 10.13.2 and FCPX 10.4 it was only playback and Optical Flow rendering that were eGPU accelerated. Like a lot of us, I was disappointed. FCPX 10.3 seemed to allow eGPU rendering just fine. With MacOS 10.13.3, I guess they ‘allowed it’ once again? That’s the only thing I can think of. Hope that helps.

Feb 5, 2018 4:21 PM in response to AndGuz

Update to 26/27 Jan 18 posts: eGPU acceleration is still not fully working. FCPX seems to rely on internal GPU and CPU for overall rendering.

However, the following processes do seem to still make use of eGPU rendering: playback, Optical Flow, and Neat Video Denoiser (via CUDA).

Is anyone else having better luck?

EGPU DOES NOT WORK WITH NEW FCPX 10.4 UPDATE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.