Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.2 supplemental update hung?

How would one exit from a hung(?) installation? 10.13.2 supplemental update has been at 75% progress for 10 hours. The MacBook Air fan has been running continuously. Worried about leaving it overnight.

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 4:03 PM

Thank you for your advice! So, here is what I did: I pushed the power button, then I held down the command-r and after a while the recovery panel appeared. But then I thought what if the supplemental update actually installed (and it was just stuck from restarting)? So instead of selecting to re-install the macOS High Sierra I went to the Restart under the Apple menu. And guess what? The progress bar reappeared and the process completed! I checked that the Supplemental Update had installed ... and it did! All is as it should be ... Macs still: 'just work'. Thanks again.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2018 4:03 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for your advice! So, here is what I did: I pushed the power button, then I held down the command-r and after a while the recovery panel appeared. But then I thought what if the supplemental update actually installed (and it was just stuck from restarting)? So instead of selecting to re-install the macOS High Sierra I went to the Restart under the Apple menu. And guess what? The progress bar reappeared and the process completed! I checked that the Supplemental Update had installed ... and it did! All is as it should be ... Macs still: 'just work'. Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2018 4:41 PM in response to williamfromalfred

This happened to me as well. My "solution" was to power-down my Mac by holding down the power button, and then, boot it up in Recovery mode (command+R) and re-install macOS High Sierra. The re-install took approx. 1.5 hrs to return to the Mac Desktop.

This type of recovery will re-install the latest version of macOS that was present on your Mac.

Ref: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Jan 11, 2018 9:51 AM in response to williamfromalfred

I wanted to provide a follow-up. The Engineer/Scientist in me wanted to give the supplemental update another try, and I was successful this time.

With fresh backups at hand, I removed all peripherals from my 2014 Mac mini, except the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Again, my mini has a Fusion drive and it connects to the Internet via Ethernet.

Here were my results:

• Note: I used a timer to see how long this process would take.
  • I started the update via the App Store. After being downloaded, my mini rebooted. Like before, I got the "Installation is in process..." screen.
  • After 15 minutes, the message changed to actually show the installation time counting down.
  • About 2 minutes later, the mini rebooted again, and the installation time continued to count down. Nothing unusual here.
  • After about a total of 20-22 minutes, I was returned to the macOS Desktop.
  • Based on another reply to your post, I checked my Microsoft Outlook app to see if it had any issues. It did, but it was nothing more than having to re-enter app specific passwords for two of my non-iCloud email accounts. Both of those accounts use 2-step verification; my 2-factor authentication iCloud account did not.
  • So far, I'm not experiencing any other issues related to this update.

Jan 9, 2018 3:41 PM in response to williamfromalfred

That's your call. I will be holding off myself until this has been addressed by Apple. FWIW, if you decide to go ahead and try it again, you should make sure that you have a fresh Time Machine backup AND a new clone copy of your internal drive BEFORE proceeding. As I mentioned, it took about 1.5 hours to re-install the OS using Recovery mode. Having a clone to boot to, at least, would get you back where you started quickly until you re-install the OS on your startup drive.

Jan 9, 2018 4:21 PM in response to Tesserax

I would also like to add that I had only updated to High Sierra on Sunday then did the supplemental update last night. My MacBook Pro is running a bit faster than with Sierra and booting up slightly faster than with Sierra. Also, Sunday’s High Sierra install was a bad expierence for me. I received a message about a file missing a few minutes after install began. An Apple tech said that the 5 GB file did not completely download. I went to the boot disc and started up in Sierra then downloaded High Sierra again, which took about 50 minutes to install. All is good now and I hope those having a problem get their problems ironed out.

Linda

Jan 9, 2018 4:40 PM in response to williamfromalfred

On a2016 MBP I am stuck at every reboot with it trying to finish. By every reboot I mean holding the power button because it’s been at least half an hour without action. Every other device was just fine. And the recovery is missing. Got recovery up from a 2012 mini’s backup using Option key. Tried the reboot after reaching recovery and it just hung at the End. The progress bar makes it all the way though. Then nothing for an hour. I am going to attempt a HS reinstall from the mini’s recovery partition. Need this for school. Long night ahead. Does anyone know if restoring from another machines recovery will cause problems?

Jan 9, 2018 5:04 PM in response to NetBoy2020

An hour later, I'm back in High Sierra and backing up over my Sierra backup. NOT going to do the supplemental update until there's an indication it is safe. Will send something to Apple or call AppleCare when I have the time. Some additional details on my setup: the mini is set up to run Content Caching under File Sharing. The 2012 mini and 2015 15" MBP did just fine. The 2016 15" MBP was the failure. Going forward, content caching will be off.

Jan 9, 2018 5:30 PM in response to NetBoy2020

This thread allowed me to try some things, granted they didn't work in my case - but certainly helped my process of at least being able to use my computer as it was before attempting the update.

To clarify some final technical details of my process...

After holding the power button due to giving up on the update,

I attempted to use Command + R to enter recovery.

That took me right back to the Apple Logo and a Progress Bar that started at about 90%. Not recovery, as expected.

Let it stall for half an hour.

Tried again, this time using the Option key. The only boot option was High Sierra, no recovery.

Then I gave up, plugged in the backup of High Sierra in from a 2012 mini.

Held Option, booted to the external recovery partition of 10.13 from the mini, which showed up just fine.

Then I reinstalled High Sierra to the Internal drive of the 2016 MBP. It was very fast, using a cheap SSD.

I can confirm that this took me back to 10.13.2 and the Supplemental Update is available in the App Store.

At this point, I'm operational, and won't attempt the supplemental update without speaking to AppleCare first.

Jan 9, 2018 5:45 PM in response to lkpolovchik

My speed has not suffered with this Supplemental Update. I originally found High Sierra 'slicker' than Sierra ... but slicker has different meanings with different hardware/software situations. I just use the software that is shipped with the Mac OS (+ the Xcode download). And the MacBook Air (+ the iCloud for external storage). Simple works for me.

Jan 10, 2018 5:27 AM in response to williamfromalfred

I have a similar issue, but it's a recurring one: large downloads from the Mac App Store seem to get "stuck" after an hour or so. We have slow DSL, so major updates (e.g., High Sierra) often take more than 4 hours, and quite often they download for an hour or so and then simply stop. This happens whether I download them from the App Store or from the web site. At the App Store the progress bar goes away and the application appears dead. On the web, the download progress bar advances to a certain point and just stops. Even the "time remaining" number remains unchanged, after several hours of no apparent activity have elapsed. I don't even have any idea where they're stopping: my ISP? The App Store? Somewhere else?

Can someone suggest what further information I can discover to help at least localize the problem? For the last few major updates, I've been forced to drive to a local Apple dealer an hour away and use their much faster Internet connection via my own WiFi.

Jan 10, 2018 5:22 AM in response to williamfromalfred

I have had this kind of problems with several updated in the past (and solved it just like you). I think that in some circumstances, the Mac is unable to restart and stays stuck.

In one case, I had the problem repeatedly with an update, until I removed all the USB stuff I had connected.

That said, I had the problem with the Supplemental Update also, but after the reboot it never completed correctly and I am stuck with Webkit broken... (so no Safari and no App Store... 😟). I have another topic opened on it.

Jan 10, 2018 5:28 AM in response to William Williams

Cannot really comment much on this problem ... maybe your ISP is throttling after so many bytes are downloaded ... or if it is not a ISP issue maybe Apple watches the speed and just switches you to a slower download rate and then the download times out. Something similar happens here in this college town when all the students return ... even with broadband cable the internet slows ... actually it sticks ... no activity and then it's ok for a bit and then it stops again. Students tend to overwhelm the system!

Jan 10, 2018 5:48 AM in response to sermain

So, the update works for me (at least so far). I should have mentioned my system is (don't laugh) a:

MacBook Air, 11", late 2010, 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 246 MB, 128 GB SSD

I use Apple Mail, Calendar, Safari, and the applications that are available with High Sierra, plus Apple's Numbers, Pages, and Keynote. I haven't used MS Office, Outlook, or even Adobe PDF Reader.

The only additional software I've downloaded is Xcode.

10.13.2 supplemental update hung?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.