You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't restore my iPod Classic

I can't restore my iPod Classic. iTunes says the firmware can't be found.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 2:25 PM

29 replies

Jan 20, 2018 10:57 AM in response to barryfromwaterboro

From the linked user tip...

Check your iPod with Diagnostics Mode

It is possible that your iPod's hard drive has started to fail. Take your iPod and place your right thumb on the centre SELECTbutton and your left on the top MENU button. Press down both thumbs for about 6 seconds until your iPod reboots. Immediately move your left thumb around to the rewind button |<< on the left and hold this down together with SELECT for a further 6 seconds. Your iPod should now switch into Diagnostic Boot mode. Press MENU for Manual Test, then select IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData to reveal your stats. For comparison here are mine taken when my 6th Generation Classic was about 2 years old:

Retracts: 889
Reallocs: 12
Pending Sectors: 0
PowerOn Hours: 2202
Start/Stops: 894
Temp: Current 24c
Temp: Min 10c
Temp: Max 50c

Take a note of your results. When finished press MENU+SELECT for 6 seconds to reset the iPod again.

With modern disk drives sectors are no longer marked bad by a disk scan, if the SMART firmware detects a sector it has trouble accessing it will attempt to invisibly reallocate it to a spare area of the disk.

Note that I've only 12 remapped sectors and none pending. To help explain what the numbers mean here is an extract from the Wikipedia S.M.A.R.T. article:

Reallocated Sectors Count

Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks this sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and "reallocated" sectors are called remaps. This is why, on modern hard disks, "bad blocks" cannot be found while testing the surface – all bad blocks are hidden in reallocated sectors. However, as the number of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to decrease. The raw value normally represents a count of the number of bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate.

Pending Sector Count

Number of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently written or read successfully, this value is decreased and the sector is not remapped. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector (since it might be readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and remaps it the next time it's written.

Large numbers of Reallocs or Pending Sectors (several thousand in the case of a classic) would suggest your drive is failing and that you may need to repair or replace your iPod. Check your stats after another attempt to update your iPod. If the numbers increase that again points to hard drive failure. While it won't be good news at least you'll know it isn't some random software problem and you can decide what to do next.

Anti-virus software is always changing, some of the actions that iTunes might legitimately request when restoring might appear suspicious from the perspective of the anti-virus suite. See this recent thread where Norton was the cause of a similar issue: Re: Can't restore iPod Classic 120GB.

tt2

Mar 5, 2018 7:09 AM in response to barryfromwaterboro

As noted, read the user tip that I have linked to: Corrupt iPod Classic, or read the relevant section that I copied into this thread. The details are there. This is the part that you have presumably overlooked:

Take your iPod and place your right thumb on the centre SELECT button and your left on the top MENU button. Press down both thumbs for about 6 seconds until your iPod reboots. Immediately move your left thumb around to the rewind button |<< on the left and hold this down together with SELECT for a further 6 seconds. Your iPod should now switch into Diagnostic Boot mode. Press MENU for Manual Test, then select IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData to reveal your stats.

Not forgetting:

Take a note of your results. When finished press MENU+SELECT for 6 seconds to reset the iPod again.

tt2

Mar 20, 2018 2:10 PM in response to barryfromwaterboro

Here is what Apple has to say in general regarding older products: Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support. In addition they're removing iTunes support for older operating systems: About iTunes Store availability - Apple Support. I'm somewhat surprised if they've actively removed the ability for iTunes to download the correct firmware for older devices, but I suppose it isn't outside the bounds of possibility.

Is there an alternative to restoring? Can you wipe the contents of the device in some other way, assuming that is what you wanted to do?

tt2

Mar 20, 2018 2:01 PM in response to turingtest2

It is mean! I just talked to a rep at the Apple store in So. Portland, Maine, and she was told by someone at HQ that Apple no longer services iPods. They consider them relics or some such thing. Why they had to remove the firmware is beyond me. She said there are some third party businesses that could help me, but they weren't able to recommend one.😠

Mar 23, 2018 8:22 PM in response to barryfromwaterboro

Well I don't know why you're having trouble, but I just restored my 6th generation 160Gb iPod classic using iTunes 12.7.3.46 running on High Sierra, so it is clearly still possible. iTunes had to download the firmware since this computer hasn't previously be used to manage this old device, and that went OK, so the .ipsw files are still online.

tt2

i can't restore my iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.