Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup Virus safari

Hi all,

I have a great problem with safari. I've been searching a lot through this website and others on web, but I haven't found the solution. Sometimes I open a page on safari and regardless the url a new pop up immediately opens. I've attached a screen. I tried different solutions, I've even reset my Mac twice but the problem persists. I've just added Adblock plus but nothing at all. Is it possible block this popup forever? The url is always the same.

User uploaded file

Thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2018 7:00 AM

28 replies

Jan 14, 2018 9:15 AM in response to Andre101010

See some articles How to block pop-ups in Safari - Apple Support

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

In safari preferences check these boxes .

User uploaded file

Enter in user library macOS Sierra: Library folder

Find folders Caches , Cookies , Saved Application State , Safari .

Select all the contents ( use keys command and A ) and delete them ( command and delete ) .

Find a folder Preferences > detete com.apple.safari .plist to the trash , restart the machine and empty the trash .

You have to set the home page Set your homepage in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

You can also use malware bytes anti malware for Mac to remove adwares / malwares .

Avoid using ad block plus an alternative for it Hide ads when reading articles in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

And don't use unwanted apps , cleaners , anti virus in Mac .

Jan 15, 2018 6:03 PM in response to Andre101010

In safari preferences , keep all extensions as off , in users and groups > login options keep as empty .

how to enter in user library .

User uploaded file

Hold option key in the above column , library will be shown , click on it this window of user library will appear .

User uploaded file

Manual method to remove malware .

First open Activity monitor via spotlight , search the malware name select it and click on cross sign to quit so that it will stop running in the background .

See the method in the article don’t be confused with the name of malware it could have a different name .

Go to system preferences and click on users and groups open the pad lock by entering admin name and password ( in case if it is an admin account ) , select login items , if you see unknown app select it and click on minus sign to get deleted .

In system preferences itself click on Security and privacy , click on Accessibility then privacy select the unknown app click on minus sign to get deleted an article

Click on finder and search in Applications and download folder .

The next step would be enter in System Library .

Click on Finder , take cursor on top menu bar click on Go - Computer - Macintosh HD - Library

You have to manually search malware in some folders where they reside .

1.Application Support

2.Caches

3.LaunchAgents

4.LaunchDaemons

5.Logs

6.PriviledgedHelperTools

7.Startup-items

8.Receipts

9.Preferences - the plist of malware is to be removed , if there is com.apple .xxxx .plist.lockfile or com.apple.xxx.plistlockfile its an indication ( xxx could be the name of malware ) and the small folder before it will turn black it's a symptom of the malware , and it could also be com.apple.xxx.plist

10.Extensions

11.Frameworks

12.internet Plug -ins

13.Input Methods

14.ScriptingAdditions

Then enter in User library .

Search Malware in folders

1.Application Support

2.Caches

3.Cookies

4.Safari

5.Logs

6.Saved Application State

7.LaunchAgents

8.Internet Plug -ins

9.Input Methods

10.Preferences - com.apple.xxx.plist ( xxx could be the name of malware ) .

11.Containers are also to be checked .

Then again click on Finder - Go - Macintosh HD - System - Library - Frameworks - search the malware in Framework folder .

Right click on malware from the above folders and move to the trash bin , restart the computer and empty the trash .

Jan 14, 2018 7:15 AM in response to Andre101010

Safari – Popup takes over

Safari – Popup takes over (2)

Popup remover – Scam Zapper

If the pop-up reloads, force quit Safari (command - option/alt - esc) and reopen with the shift key held down. If that doesn't work, disconnect from the Internet, go to Safari/History and delete the website. Quit and reopen with the shift key held down. Then reconnect to the Internet.

Jan 14, 2018 3:54 AM in response to getangar

Just another question. Now with ADB I can see that the scam try to open the new tab, but ADB always block it, and that's perfect. I was wondering if it's normal that that same scam often try to open the tab. Every 10 sites I visit, at least 1 opens the scam, even if I clear cache and history. Is it possible that I have some troubles with my apple or google account?

Thanks

Jan 15, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Andre101010

I've even reset my Mac.

No idea what that means since it's pretty vague. Reset it how?

Two other things to try. Simpler one first.

1) Open iCloud and turn off syncing for Safari. Shut Safari down, then relaunch it with the Shift key held down.

If that's no help…

2) Reset your router per the manufacturer's instructions. Usually it's done by powering the unit down, then holding in a small, recessed button for 5 seconds or so.

Jan 15, 2018 12:42 PM in response to Andre101010

No problem here. I clicked on a lot of the links within the site, too, to see if any particular page would trigger a scam. None of them did.

That is very strange that you are getting hounded by scams even after an erase and reinstall. However, if you're also bringing a Time Machine backup in after that, you're likely just reintroducing the problem.

Make sure you have a current backup, then erase the drive and reinstall the OS. Nothing else. Try the sites again.

Jan 15, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Andre101010

When you use your iPhone, do you always peruse the web through the phone's data connection? That is, never through your router's wireless signal? If so, that would explain why you never see the problem on the iPhone.

If that's correct, then the problem has to be your router. Either that, or the ISP you use for Internet access has been compromised. I can only suggest resetting the router back to its factory default condition, which I know you stated you've already tried.

Popup Virus safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.