Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: AppleTV Bluetooth Connection Limit

There is currently a limit of 3 bluetooth connections. How can this be increased? Is this a possible software enhancement or is it a hardware limitation?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jan 14, 2018 1:26 PM in response to vazandrew In response to vazandrew

I'm using AppleTV 4k with a cycling virtual trainer (Wahoo Kickr and Zwift) where the remote is bluetooth 1, the trainer is bluetooth 2 and the cadence sensor is bluetooth 3. I also have a heart-rate monitor but I have to use alternative means to connect it to the system.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Jan 14, 2018 1:21 PM in response to rbrookler In response to rbrookler

You can pair multiple devices, but can only use one bluetooth device at a time unless you have an Apple TV 4K as it supports the bluetooth 5 protocol. That will allow to pair more than one, however the headphones would need to support BT 5. As it is a fairly new standard it is unclear what the maximum is and not many things support it just yet.

This is based on hardware.

Jan 14, 2018 1:21 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Jan 14, 2018 1:26 PM in response to vazandrew In response to vazandrew

I'm using AppleTV 4k with a cycling virtual trainer (Wahoo Kickr and Zwift) where the remote is bluetooth 1, the trainer is bluetooth 2 and the cadence sensor is bluetooth 3. I also have a heart-rate monitor but I have to use alternative means to connect it to the system.

Jan 14, 2018 1:26 PM

Reply Helpful (6)

Jan 14, 2018 1:31 PM in response to rbrookler In response to rbrookler

Are you using those simultaneously? From what i've read the connected devices would need to support the new standard in order to use more than one at a time. Up until now all bluetooth devices only supported one connection at a time.

Jan 14, 2018 1:31 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 24, 2018 9:03 AM in response to Snakeleo In response to Snakeleo

It has nothing to do with Apple, that is a limitation of bluetooth. The 4K Apple TV is the first to support the new BT 5 standard, which is the only one that supports playback on 2 devices. The headphones would also need to support it though.

Jan 24, 2018 9:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 24, 2018 10:15 AM in response to vazandrew In response to vazandrew

Sure but these are sensors Bluetooth low energy sensors what can work with the iPhone simultaneously without any problem. I use 4 sensors simultaneously with Strava, Wahoo app etc. via Bluetooth 4.0 all work just fine. Why not to get the same on Apple tv?

Jan 24, 2018 10:15 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 24, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Snakeleo In response to Snakeleo

Not for native simultaneous playback, up until now that has required additional hardware. the bluetooth 5 standard is the first to introduce that right into the protocol. Apple has nothing to with bluetooth, they can only introduce it when the technology becomes available and thus they added bluetooth 5 to the current (4K) Apple TV

Jan 24, 2018 11:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 24, 2018 3:10 PM in response to Snakeleo In response to Snakeleo

The current iphones also support bluetooth 5, but nything older does not. Again there is a difference between pairing multiple devices and simultaneous playback, the latter won't work because the hardware doesn't have the BT 5 chip. That is the case on any device. The only way to do so on those devices would be with additional hardware from a 3rd party which would be splitting the sIgnal (BT 5 sends two streams as it has access to more bandwidth)

Jan 24, 2018 3:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 24, 2018 3:19 PM in response to vazandrew In response to vazandrew

Thanks. Anyway I've been talking about cycling sensors not Airpods and I'd just like I could use and pair them with Apple TV in the same way as I can do it with my iPhone now. But now I need to connect sensors to my iPhone to the special app and only after that they can be connected to Apple TV via WiFi in the same network.

Jan 24, 2018 3:19 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 24, 2018 4:45 PM in response to Snakeleo In response to Snakeleo

Again, as you are using them over wifi then it isn't on bluetooth so all the previous discussion was irrelevant. Any issue therein would be with the sensor itself when used with the Apple TV and you would need to contact the company directly.

Jan 24, 2018 4:45 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: rbrookler

Question: AppleTV Bluetooth Connection Limit