Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Bluetooth Connection Limit

There is currently a limit of 3 bluetooth connections. How can this be increased? Is this a possible software enhancement or is it a hardware limitation?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2018 1:26 PM

I'm using AppleTV 4k with a cycling virtual trainer (Wahoo Kickr and Zwift) where the remote is bluetooth 1, the trainer is bluetooth 2 and the cadence sensor is bluetooth 3. I also have a heart-rate monitor but I have to use alternative means to connect it to the system.

30 replies

Mar 3, 2018 10:09 AM in response to rbrookler

Apple TV now beginning to get right up my nose an d I am a big fan of all things Apple. I have similar problems with Bluetooth connections. Firstly I will list the equipment being used then the issue I have.

Wahoo Kickr 17

Wahoo Cadence Sensor

Wahoo Ticker HR monitor

Apple TV Remote

Iphone 6

Old Ipad But works.

Issue: as we all know Apple TV can only connect with 3 devices. I connect Kickr, Cadence sensor and the last is the Apple TV remote I then have to connect the heart rate monitor via Mobile App which is fine but before I can see the HR Monitor on Apple TV I have to switch BT of on my phone.

once connected with my limit of BT devices the Apple TV then asks if I wish to connect with Mob App, so I do, but as soon as I switch BT on on my phone HR monitor vanishes!!!

I have had numerous calls to Apple support with no success in solving this issue, the did suggest that I remove the apple remote from the room and add the remote to my phone!!!!!! that is also BT so will not resolve issue.

I have also changed my WiFi to 5 GHz rather than the 2.4GHz, switched off all other BT devices and all equipment that could disrupt the signal.

Apple still have no answer but have suggested it may be my equipment!!! I am one of the old hands at Zwift and know what my kit can do and I am 150% sure it is working ok.

If I use my IMac and Ant+ everything connects right away with no issues, I hear you ask the question why not just use the Mac and Lightning cable. Good question, answer I don't want to. I have a 4k TV and Latest Gen in Apple TV and want to take the mac out of the loop all together.

Apple told me they would email me a form to complete to send to the tech guys at apple, still not received it.

I understand that they don't have the answers for everything and don't always understand the equipment we may be using but it doesn't make it any less frustrating plus I have waited so long for the app to come on Apple TV and when it came on I expected it to work.

Jan 14, 2018 1:21 PM in response to rbrookler

You can pair multiple devices, but can only use one bluetooth device at a time unless you have an Apple TV 4K as it supports the bluetooth 5 protocol. That will allow to pair more than one, however the headphones would need to support BT 5. As it is a fairly new standard it is unclear what the maximum is and not many things support it just yet.

This is based on hardware.

Jan 24, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Snakeleo

Not for native simultaneous playback, up until now that has required additional hardware. the bluetooth 5 standard is the first to introduce that right into the protocol. Apple has nothing to with bluetooth, they can only introduce it when the technology becomes available and thus they added bluetooth 5 to the current (4K) Apple TV

Jan 24, 2018 3:10 PM in response to Snakeleo

The current iphones also support bluetooth 5, but nything older does not. Again there is a difference between pairing multiple devices and simultaneous playback, the latter won't work because the hardware doesn't have the BT 5 chip. That is the case on any device. The only way to do so on those devices would be with additional hardware from a 3rd party which would be splitting the sIgnal (BT 5 sends two streams as it has access to more bandwidth)

Jan 26, 2018 1:18 AM in response to Snakeleo

It should be added the possibility wich allows users to turn off remote control or airpods if it needs for connecting more other Bluetooth controllers or devices. I don’t need to connect my AirPods or some other audio devices to Apple TV but I need to connect three cycling sensors (cadence, speed, heart rate monitor). What’s the problem Apple? Do it possible!

Jan 26, 2018 5:01 PM in response to Snakeleo

Initially you said it was Bluetooth and then that you were connecting over wifi, if it’s the latter then you aren’t using Bluetooth.

Again, in terms of Bluetooth there’s a big difference between pairing multiple Bluetooth devices (which has been possible for awhile) and using them simultaneously (requires BT 5 compatibility on both ends). Furthermore, Apple didn’t create the bluetooth protocol and add new technology once it has become mainstream (similar to the AC wifi standard)

At any rate this is more an issue with the sensors themselves in relation to theIr use with Apple TV, and you need to contact the company about it.

AppleTV Bluetooth Connection Limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.