Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesnt facetime display full screen when I airplay from my iphone 8 to apple tv? This used to work, stopped working years ago and seems like apple just keeps ignoring the problem.

Why doesnt facetime show full screen when i airplay from my iphone 8 to apple tv? This used to work, stopped working years ago and seems like apple just keeps ignoring the problem.

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 5:31 PM

Apple used to automatically switch to full screen when you rotated your phone (like when you’re air playing a tv show or YouTube video. Now it just keeps your rotated view inside of the small vertical space that’s provided when you have your phone upright.

It’d be fine if it had black bars on the top and bottom and the image spanned the full width of the screen. That’s not what it’s doing. Instead when you rotate your phone to landscape it just rotates it on the tv inside of the already limited vertical space. So now you have the same black bars on the right and left as well as black bars on the top and bottom. So the picture is even smaller now.

This is not correct. It’s clearly not working like it should.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2018 5:31 PM in response to vazandrew

Apple used to automatically switch to full screen when you rotated your phone (like when you’re air playing a tv show or YouTube video. Now it just keeps your rotated view inside of the small vertical space that’s provided when you have your phone upright.

It’d be fine if it had black bars on the top and bottom and the image spanned the full width of the screen. That’s not what it’s doing. Instead when you rotate your phone to landscape it just rotates it on the tv inside of the already limited vertical space. So now you have the same black bars on the right and left as well as black bars on the top and bottom. So the picture is even smaller now.

This is not correct. It’s clearly not working like it should.

Jan 15, 2018 4:41 PM in response to Tprotpro

You would be using mirroring to display your FaceTime call on Apple TV, which will show the iPhone exactly as you see it. If you're holding it straight then there will be black bars on the left and right, and if you turn it on it's side it will have black bars on top and bottom.

If you want it to fill the screen then you're welcome to change your TV's settings, but that will crop and/or distort the picture.

Why doesnt facetime display full screen when I airplay from my iphone 8 to apple tv? This used to work, stopped working years ago and seems like apple just keeps ignoring the problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.