Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To What Degree does iTunes Match change existing iTunes Art & Tag Data?

Will current iTunes Match / Apple Music / iCloud Music Library change existing album art and/or meta data for tracks in my iTunes for Mac Music Library ...and if so, is there a way to ensure iTunes Match will NOT change anything in my existing tracks?

I have a heavily curated library of over 26K tracks in iTunes (~20% purchased from iTunes), with album/track art and ID3 data that is consistent and matches the physical media I own. I have twice tried to use iTunes Match since it first became available years ago, but each time found within a few days/weeks that iTunes Match changed some of the physical track art and/or meta tagging within my iTunes library without my giving it explicit permission -- undoing man weeks of careful changes I have made over many years. Both times I ended-up turning-off iTunes Match in iTunes and my other Apple devices, physically restoring, then manually re-syncing changes I had made to my local iTunes library since enabling iTunes Match. It was frustrating to say the least -- especially sort of doing it to myself a second time-around.

Through this process, I found that maintaining "iTunes Preferences / Store / Auto download album artwork = OFF" eliminated some spurious problems I occasionally encountered with unexpected things happening to Album Art, and keep that option set OFF to this day, but I don't know if that may now also effect iTunes Match. In searching the WWW, support documents and this forum, I see some people may be still encountering similar problems to what I have before, but it's hard to tell timeline-wise.

Can anyone provide me any confidence if I try iTunes Match (or Apple Music) for a 3rd time, that iCloud Music Library will NOT change my existing iTunes Album Art and tag data? Thx in advance.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2018 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 5:09 AM

To answer my own question, I contacted Apple Support and received a reply yesterday.

For others with the same questions and concern as mine, it appears nothing has really changed as of January 2018. "...I have been able to confirm that with iTunes Match enabled and/or Apple Music we do not have a guarantee it will not make any changes to your existing tracks." The reply goes on to suggest backing up my iTunes library before enabling either one if I choose to give it another try. 😉

Sigh. It's just too bad Apple does not have provide a simple iTunes option to ensure iCloud Music Library does not change any existing track metadata without explicit consent.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 5:09 AM in response to WDW1Fanatic

To answer my own question, I contacted Apple Support and received a reply yesterday.

For others with the same questions and concern as mine, it appears nothing has really changed as of January 2018. "...I have been able to confirm that with iTunes Match enabled and/or Apple Music we do not have a guarantee it will not make any changes to your existing tracks." The reply goes on to suggest backing up my iTunes library before enabling either one if I choose to give it another try. 😉

Sigh. It's just too bad Apple does not have provide a simple iTunes option to ensure iCloud Music Library does not change any existing track metadata without explicit consent.

Jan 29, 2018 1:54 AM in response to WDW1Fanatic

Thank you very much for posting this. I haven't got anywhere near iTunes Match because I saw people saying it had completely messed up their libraries in the early days. I would love to be able to use iTunes Match as I have an extensive music library on my iMac, but now uses my MacBook Pro a lot more, but don't have all my music on it. I am quite particular in how I like the tracks tagged in my library, like many music fans I'm sure.

I guess I can understand they are trying to manage space on their side, and having the same track tagged in hundreds of different ways is not efficient on their side, but equally, having my library suddenly all messed up and my listening pleasure spoilt as a result is enough to put me off subscribing. Thank you for posting this, this is very valuable information

To What Degree does iTunes Match change existing iTunes Art & Tag Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.