Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 10.13.2 USB audio issue

I have AudioQuest Dragonfly Red and Back DACs, connected to USB ports of Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Since macOS 10.13.2, which "Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices", both DACs start to intrude the horrible ripping/screeching noise on audio, played through DACs. This seems to be Thunderbolt Display USB audio issue, as DACs work ok, while connected to the MacBook directly.

Now 10.13.3 and it still exists. Is there any workaround on this issue? Has anyone meet something similar?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2018 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 9:28 AM

I have the same issue. I have a touch bar MacBook Pro and have the issue when connected to an old Apple Thunderbolt display or when connected to a new LG 5k Thunderbolt 3 display. So far the only workaround is to plug the DAC into an Apple USB-C to USB adapter, and plug the adapter directly into my computer. I've contacted AudioQuest support, and they weren't able to help.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 9:28 AM in response to Sergiyko

I have the same issue. I have a touch bar MacBook Pro and have the issue when connected to an old Apple Thunderbolt display or when connected to a new LG 5k Thunderbolt 3 display. So far the only workaround is to plug the DAC into an Apple USB-C to USB adapter, and plug the adapter directly into my computer. I've contacted AudioQuest support, and they weren't able to help.

Jan 31, 2018 3:41 PM in response to Sergiyko

My guess is it won't be possible to plug in a Dragonfly directly into a Thunderbolt display. It's most likely a firmware issue with either the Dragonfly's firmware or the Thunderbolt's firmware. I'm not even sure a Thunderbolt display could ever support a DAC. I don't think it's a High Sierra issue seeing the Dragonfly works perfectly well plugged directly into a Mac.

Jan 31, 2018 3:58 PM in response to CountryGirl56

Dragonfly can be plugged directly to a thunderbolt display. I have done that for years without problems. The problem for me started with one of the MacOS updates late 2017, I dont remember which one.

Have anyone tried to connect a powered usb hub to the thunderbolt display and connect the dragonfly to the usb hub? that was a tip I got from audioquest support.

Feb 6, 2018 3:16 PM in response to Sergiyko

The funny thing now, is that the Dragonfly Red DAC connected to my thunderbolt display works almost without any distortion issues. I have experienced distortion for a couple of seconds once during the last 20 minutes. I have two thunderbolt displays with firmware version: 26,2.

Before the DAC started working better, I unplugged the USB DAC, did a few facetime calls, both video and audio calls and used the display speakers, moved facetime video call from screen B to screen A.. Midi settings is at 48 000 Hz.

This issue is driving me nuts. Its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Could it be some static electricity buildup which got unloaded by using the thunderbolt display camera and speakers?

Feb 7, 2018 1:50 PM in response to KristianO33

Not good 😐 From my experience, now I have issue at all frequencies, but on 96 000 Hz "distortion" is extremely "long".

It doesn't seem to be static electricity buildup, since it works ok for me for a long time since I used different Dragonfly DACs till macOS 10.13.12 was released. Tomorrow I'll try to test it with older Dragonfly 1.2, maybe it's only Black/Red issue.

Feb 7, 2018 2:24 PM in response to Sergiyko

This never ends... After listening for a while now at 48000 Hz, suddenly I have started experiencing heavy stuttering instead of distortion. I could at least listen for a while without issues.

I have tested all of the Dragonfly versions earlier, same problem. I even have JitterBug and DragonTail, same problem with distortion.

Apple are obviously working on fixing it, so we just have to wait......

macOS 10.13.2 USB audio issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.