Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing 10.13.3 fails on 2011 MacBook Pro

Hello - most of the detail is here: Unable to install High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplement on my early 2011 15" Macbook Pro, which runs High Sierra 10.13.2 just fine.

as this started with being unable to install the 10.13.2 Supplement. Same thing is happening with 10.13.3. Is Apple abandoning us in the middle of High Sierra?!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 6:49 AM

Hello, I have a big trouble after update my MBP 2011 17” early, in 10.13.3 when my Mac run second video card Radeon 6750hd 1gb, mac was freeze and I was trying to reboot, Mac appear only empty gray screen. Apple what can I do in the situation?

11 replies

Feb 13, 2018 8:33 PM in response to jcavalie

See my post, probably last on the other discussion Cannot install OS Mac High Sierra

I think the discussion of aftermarket SSDs is probably spot on.

My solution of complete clean install of 10.13.2 and a restore from the Time Capsule Time Machine backup brought back everything from before the 10.13.3 App Store update bricked my Mac Pro laptop.

Ugh, half a terabyte over ethernet, restore took forever.

That being said, I'll stick with 10.13.2 until there's some good evidence that Apple's got this fixed.

Feb 9, 2018 11:09 AM in response to jcavalie

Solved!

So...I was ultimately able to get my machine to 10.13.3. We shall see if it takes future updates okay.

Here's what I had to do:

• create a bootable USB that I could install High Sierra 10.13.3 from.
  • boot from the USB and enter disk utility from the recovery options menu.
  • In disk utility, I had to erase my internal SSD and format it with APFS
  • exit disk utility and from the recovery menu install a clean version of the OS - 10.13.3 - onto my newly formatted APFS drive
  • during the recovery, I was prompted and asked if I'd like to recover my data, applications, settings, etc using migration assistant. I did this from my latest Time Capsule backup.
  • wait ~16 hours for the recovery to complete
  • reboot

My machine now shows that it is on 10.13.3 and that the SSD is formatted as APFS. Everything seems to be working ok and hopefully now it will move on normally.

I suspect the SSD I have installed was recognized as a hybrid drive when I did the original High Sierra upgrade, so it left it as HFS+ instead of migrating to APFS. Unfortunately, that started to be an issue with 10.13.2 Supplement and 10.13.3 - so I had to find a way to APFS before I could get to the latest patches.

Jan 28, 2018 6:05 PM in response to CountryGirl56

Interesting. The original drive in my Macbook Pro failed long ago and was replaced with the SSD it has now. I find it odd though that it has installed everything through 10.13.2 just fine and been working flawlessly. And the laptop is working fine on 10.13.2. What would make the Supplement to 10.13.2 and 10.13.3 not install because of a replacement SSD? Seems like Apple should be able to resolve this pretty easily, if that is indeed the root cause. I don't know how I'll ever know...not like I have a good old drive I can reinstall.

Feb 1, 2018 10:09 PM in response to jcavalie

So spent some more time on this and still not getting anywhere. I have a Crucial 500GB MX200 SSD installed (replacement for the failed original drive). I updated the firmware to the latest (MU04) and tried to install 10.13.3 from the AppStore (failed), download (failed) and download of the cumulative combo update from 10.13 (failed).

Interestingly, my SSD, even with High Sierra 10.13.2, is running journaled HFS+ as the file system. I *thought* all SSDs were supposed to be updated to APFS with High Sierra. Mine did not, and I'm wondering if that's the problem now. It does not appear that there is a way to update the drive to APFS.

So - big questions...1) if I wipe the drive and reinstall with APFS - will I get APFS or will I "brick" the drive?; 2) if I'm successful getting APFS and MacOS onto the SSD, can I then recover from a TimeCapsule backup and restore the data, even though the backup would have been of an HFS+ filesystem?

Installing 10.13.3 fails on 2011 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.