Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.mp4 and QuickTime vs Amadeus Pro

I have a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie, and an early 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro with iMovie, both of which run fully updated MacOS 10.13.3. I also have a late 2010 27" iMac, running MacOS 10.12.6 with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie. All three computers also have Amadeus Pro for audio editing.

I produce videos using Final Cut Pro X, or sometimes iMovie, which I then share to disk as .mp4 files in H.264 1080p or 720p as necessary, perfectly standard procedures (the .mp4 format is necessary for uploading to the web-streaming service we use). Unfortunately, for some reason beyond my ken, MacOS treats Amadeus Pro as the default application for .mp4s, so when I want to watch the videos before uploading, on double-clicking they are opened by that as an audio file and not by QuickTime. Control-click allows me to open them properly in QuickTime, but that should be an unnecessary step.

Even worse, if I Ctrl-click, bring up the "Get Info" pane and change the "Open With" app to QuickTime or VLC, on double clicking the file, I then get an alert saying that the file cannot be opened as it is from an unidentified developer.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to overcome this idiotic situation?

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 6:39 AM

Even worse, if I Ctrl-click, bring up the "Get Info" pane and change the "Open With" app to QuickTime or VLC, on double clicking the file, I then get an alert saying that the file cannot be opened as it is from an unidentified developer.

Try the following... Immediately after being told the app/file can't be opened, open the "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General" window tab and check to see if the "Open anyway" option is available. If so, use it.

This may depend on how the "unidentified developer" security trap is being triggered. Normally, when an unidentified app is first installed you override the issue as described above. Thereafter, the app should open normally until the next update by the same developer is installed. However, it is unclear if you are resetting the "Open with..." option for each individual file or for all files having the MP4 extension. It is also unclear if Amadeus Pro is resetting the security trap each time it creates a new file of it keeps traping on the files because you have never overridden the trap previously. In either case, you may wish to post back with your results.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 6:39 AM in response to mark_xiamen

Try the following... Immediately after being told the app/file can't be opened, open the "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General" window tab and check to see if the "Open anyway" option is available. If so, use it.

This may depend on how the "unidentified developer" security trap is being triggered. Normally, when an unidentified app is first installed you override the issue as described above. Thereafter, the app should open normally until the next update by the same developer is installed. However, it is unclear if you are resetting the "Open with..." option for each individual file or for all files having the MP4 extension. It is also unclear if Amadeus Pro is resetting the security trap each time it creates a new file of it keeps traping on the files because you have never overridden the trap previously. In either case, you may wish to post back with your results.

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2018 8:15 AM in response to mark_xiamen

What is so bizarre is that the file was not created by "an unknown developer", it was created by one of Apple's own flagship apps, Final Cut Pro X!

My guess would be that for some unexplained reason one of your systems "spontaneously" re-associated the MP4 file extension with Amadeus Pro as the "creator" app. (This has happened to me with regard to VLC but I'm not sure if it was a similar "spontaneous" system glitch or "lazy fingers" accessing an undocumented keyboard shortcut by mistake.) In any case, manually resetting the "Open With" option should prevent any attempt to open Amadeus Pro in future (or until/unless this should ever happen again) while the "Security & Privacy" option workflow cleared the security trap issue. Basically the security trap prevents apps created by unregistered (non-App Store/unidentified) developers from being opened maliciously without your consent. (Assume you're using the non-App Store sourced app here—otherwise I don't understand why the security trap was triggered.)

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Jon,

I had originally tried changing the "Open with" for only one file, as I didn't want to create problems for myself across the board. However, using "Open anyway" worked for that file and so I changed it for "All files of this type" and it seems to be working.

What is so bizarre is that the file was not created by "an unknown developer", it was created by one of Apple's own flagship apps, Final Cut Pro X!

Anyway, it has solved my immediate problem, though I will see what happens with my next .mp4 from FCPX. So thank you very much.

🙂

Mark

.mp4 and QuickTime vs Amadeus Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.