Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Images

I just deleted a few images from Photo Stream AND Camera Roll on my iPhone 6s.

As expected, images were removed from my Photo Stream on my iPad and on my Mac. However, the deleted images are still in the Photos app ”Photos Library” folder on my Mac. I’m NOT using iCloud Library, so how can that be? Will I forever have to delete unwanted images twice? Once on my phone and then again on my Mac?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 5:16 AM

Of course if you use MyPhotStream because that is how it works - it is not a syncing service but a streaming service to stream photos to other devices

If you want your libraries synced then you use iCLoud Photo Library which is a syncing service and then all changes (additions, deletions or edits) made on any connected system are made on all

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2018 5:16 AM in response to dlb_in_atlanta

Of course if you use MyPhotStream because that is how it works - it is not a syncing service but a streaming service to stream photos to other devices

If you want your libraries synced then you use iCLoud Photo Library which is a syncing service and then all changes (additions, deletions or edits) made on any connected system are made on all

LN

Feb 1, 2018 5:40 AM in response to dlb_in_atlanta

I open Photos on my Mac, and there they are: The images I deleted from my iPhone's Camera Roll. The are in the Mac's Photo Library. I DO NOT have iCloud Library ticked on any device?

You may be deleting the photos from My Photo stream too late, when your Mac already imported them to its Photo Library.

• My Photo Stream will upload the photos to iCloud, if it has a Wi-Fi connection, immediately after you take the photo. Your iPhone may even use a cellular connection to upload the photos, if you enabled this.
  • As soon as the photos are in iCloud, your Mac will import them to your Photos Library, if the Mac is up and running and connected to Wi-Fi.

if you do not want this, shut your Mac down while you are not at home, until you deleted the photos from My Photo Stream on your iPhone, so the Mac cannot download the photos before you delete them from your iPhone.

Alternately, put your iPhone in Flight Mode while you take photos, until you have deleted the photos you do not want in My Photo Stream, so the iPhone cannot upload the photos.

Feb 1, 2018 4:50 AM in response to LarryHN

Actually, I DO NOT want some images synced OR streamed.

For example, I'm renovating a home. When out and about, on my iPhone, I take shots of furniture, paint, appliances etc. After I go to a few stores, I sit in my car (not driving, of course) and from CAMERA ROLL, I delete some of the images I just took in Home Depot or Restoration Hardware or in an antique store...

Why then, when I get home, I open Photos on my Mac, and there they are: The images I deleted from my iPhone's Camera Roll. The are in the Mac's Photo Library. I DO NOT have iCloud Library ticked on any device?

Is there an obvious option I'm overlooking so I may choose to not automatically add images to my Mac Photo library?

Is this "glitch" Apple's way of forcing me to use iCloud Library?

Deleting Images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.