Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tracking my purchases using Apple Pay

I am trying to understand how I can track my purchases using Apple Pay. When I get a receipt, the number displayed for my card does not correlate to the number on my card (I understand that there is magic which generates transaction unique numbers between my bank and the vendor). There are some repeats from day to day for this number, but it does change from store to store and also same store. I have two issues. First, other than taking the receipt out of the machine myself, how do I track that purchase back to my credit card statement? Second, if I have to return something to the store, how do I convince the vendor that the number on the receipt is related to the number on my card?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 12:13 PM

See the following from About Apple Pay - Apple Support for information about returns:

How do I return an item that I bought using Apple Pay in a store?

The cashier can use the Device Account Number to find the purchase and process the return, just as they would with a plastic credit, debit, or prepaid card payment. To see the last four digits of the Device Account Number:

• iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, and tap the card.
  • Apple Watch: Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, go to the My Watch tab, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, then tap your card.

If the cashier needs your card details to process the return, you can follow the same steps for making a payment:

1. On the device that you used to make the original payment, select the card that you want to be refunded. Remember to use the card registered within Apple Pay, not your physical card.
  2. On your iPhone, hold the device near the reader and authorize the return with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode. On your Apple Watch, double-click the side button and hold the display of your Apple Watch within a few centimeters of the contactless reader.

Depending on the return and refund policies of the store, it may take up to several days for the return transaction to appear on your card statement. Apple Pay activity is also included on your card statements.

For items bought using a Suica card with Apple Pay, just return the item to the same terminal where you made the purchase. Make sure to return the item before you use Suica with Apple Pay to make another purchase.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 12:13 PM in response to Lee Rodgers

See the following from About Apple Pay - Apple Support for information about returns:

How do I return an item that I bought using Apple Pay in a store?

The cashier can use the Device Account Number to find the purchase and process the return, just as they would with a plastic credit, debit, or prepaid card payment. To see the last four digits of the Device Account Number:

• iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, and tap the card.
  • Apple Watch: Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, go to the My Watch tab, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, then tap your card.

If the cashier needs your card details to process the return, you can follow the same steps for making a payment:

1. On the device that you used to make the original payment, select the card that you want to be refunded. Remember to use the card registered within Apple Pay, not your physical card.
  2. On your iPhone, hold the device near the reader and authorize the return with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode. On your Apple Watch, double-click the side button and hold the display of your Apple Watch within a few centimeters of the contactless reader.

Depending on the return and refund policies of the store, it may take up to several days for the return transaction to appear on your card statement. Apple Pay activity is also included on your card statements.

For items bought using a Suica card with Apple Pay, just return the item to the same terminal where you made the purchase. Make sure to return the item before you use Suica with Apple Pay to make another purchase.

Jan 28, 2018 12:13 PM in response to Lee Rodgers

Hi

1. Purchase history

Confirmation of transactions is provided in due course via your card / bank statements, just as it would be if you were using the payment card directly.

If you are not provided with a physical receipt when paying via Apple Pay in a store, then you can ask for one, just as you can if using the same underlying payment card directly.

Apple Pay does not provide receipts itself via email or any other method. As part of the built-in security and privacy features, Apple Pay does not collect any transaction information that can be tied back to you. Payment transactions are instead between you, the merchant (or the app developer for payments made within apps) and your card issuer.

Information about recent transactions is provided to Wallet by your card issuer. Instructions for viewing recent transactions are provided here, under the heading "How can I check my recent transactions?":

About Apple Pay - Apple Support

2. Card number

You are correct in understanding that, when making purchases using Apple Pay in stores, a transaction-specific dynamic security code is included as part of the information that is sent from your iPhone to the store's payment terminal.

However, the Device Account Number - which is unique to each combination of payment card and the device to which you have added it to Apple Pay - does not change either over time or depending on where you use that underlying card via Apple Pay.

The last four digits of the Device Account Number can be viewed on your iPhone and, if necessary, shared with a retailer when returning an item.

Instructions for accessing those digits are provided here under the heading "How do I return an item that I bought using Apple Pay in a store?":

About Apple Pay - Apple Support

More information:

Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support

Tracking my purchases using Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.