You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to open .png files

Product: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 133 MHZ DDR3, 2 TB SATA Disk

Operating System: MacOS High Sierra

I'm trying to grade assignments for school. My students have submitted their work as .png files. However, this is what I'm seeing on my end:

User uploaded file

I know it's not a problem on their end because the image opens properly on my iPhone. I've tried restarting the computer, but that doesn't seem to help.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS High Sierra

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 10:50 PM

20 replies

Jan 29, 2018 8:06 AM in response to tiffanymyers23

As a test, create a new user on your mac and see if Preview can open the png files when running in the new account.

Also you may want to try opening them in your own account whilst running in Safe Mode. Let us know.

If either of those two (or both) work correctly it will suggest an issue with your account, possibly third party software that is causing a conflict.

Jan 29, 2018 8:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I create a new user account on my MBP and tried to download and open a .png file. When I opened it, it did the same thing it was doing under my original account. Then I ran the new user's account in Safe Mode. It opened quickly, but this only lasted for about 1 second and then the area where the image belongs went completely gray.

how to open .png files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.