Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the fios gigabit rounter w/ 2.4 turned off with ethernet to time capsule. this works great. I have wirelessly configured numerous AEs around the house. I would like to have some of them hard wired with ethernet but when I do the internet no lo

I have the fios gigabit rounter w/ 2.4 turned off with ethernet to time capsule. this works great with TC providing wireless. I have wirelessly configured numerous AEs around the house. I would like to have some of them hard wired with ethernet but when I do the internet no longer works. When I unplug ethernet system again works fine but netflix buffers because wireless signal not great in basement. Any thoughts appreciated.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, iOS 11.2.5, I assume most recent OS

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 10:40 AM

When you extend by wire.. then the wireless setting in the express must change to create a wireless network.. NOT extend a wireless network.

What is happening is you have two paths.. one over wireless and one over ethernet and that causes a loop. It will crash the system.

Moving your express to wired connection is excellent.. reset them to factory before you plug them in.. and start over with fresh setup.. extend by wire is automatic setup in the airport utility now.. at least when everything is working correctly. Just check yourself that you are creating a wireless network with the same name and same password / security settings as the Time Capsule.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2018 10:40 AM in response to schoeb93

When you extend by wire.. then the wireless setting in the express must change to create a wireless network.. NOT extend a wireless network.

What is happening is you have two paths.. one over wireless and one over ethernet and that causes a loop. It will crash the system.

Moving your express to wired connection is excellent.. reset them to factory before you plug them in.. and start over with fresh setup.. extend by wire is automatic setup in the airport utility now.. at least when everything is working correctly. Just check yourself that you are creating a wireless network with the same name and same password / security settings as the Time Capsule.

Jan 30, 2018 2:36 PM in response to schoeb93

Did not work

You might want to consider using Apple's setup "wizard" to apply the correct settings to the Express.....virtually automatically. So, you don't need to worry about exactly what setting to choose or deal with other jargon like Bridge Mode, etc.

If you decide to try this, please follow these instructions carefully.

Select the AirPort Express that you want to connect to the Time Capsule and temporarily move it close to the TC.

Use a short spare Ethernet cable.......any length will do.....and connect from one of the LAN <--> ports on the TC to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Power up the AirPort Express for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back or side of the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Click the WiFi menu at the top of your Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just below that listing, click directly on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will get the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" up and running. It will take a few seconds to display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see your devices pictured and the name of your network displayed.

User uploaded file

Type in a device name for the AirPort Express in the space next to Base Station Name

Click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to see that the AirPort Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the setup "wizard" has picked up the Ethernet connection between the TC and the Express, and the correct settings will be applied to the Express.....automatically.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.....and the AirPort Express is now set up with the correct configuration.

Power off the Express and move it to the desired location

Connect the Ethernet cable connection to the WAN "O" port on the Express

Power up the Express

If the Ethernet cabling and Ethernet switch are working correctly, then so too will your AirPort Express be working correctly as well at its new location.

You can set up other AirPorts the same way if needed, just remember to assign a different device name to each Express to keep things organized.

Please post back on your results. If you are curious and want to take a look at the settings that the "wizard" has applied, you can use AirPort Utility for that purpose. You might be surprised to see what settings were actually applied to the Express.

Jan 30, 2018 2:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

Did not work. I assume I stay in bridge mode? Any other changes off of default. Does it matter whether I use the wan or lan? I output ethernet from TC lan to ethernet hub then plugged into wan on AE. I also tried with plugging into LAN on AE. Also, dhcp static or dynamic or pppoe? Not sure what some of these others are and just trying to finish config.

Jan 30, 2018 7:15 PM in response to schoeb93

I am guessing the TC is bridged.. and I think that is leading to the setup wizard failing.

Bob is our expert at setting these things up.. but I have to confess he has a lot more success with automated setup than I ever do..

If it fails just setup manually.. it is simple.. to do.. but post where you get up to following Bob's instructions and we can help you over the hump.

Jan 30, 2018 4:15 PM in response to schoeb93

just tried it on another AE and got past the ethernet screen. Now it is configuring. Set up complete.

That AE is working correctly. Not sure about the other one. Try a Factory Default Reset on the other AE a few times to see if it be made to work. If it still won't set up, it is very likely defective. Not sure how old the AE might be, but anything over 3-4 years is suspect.

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

I have the fios gigabit rounter w/ 2.4 turned off with ethernet to time capsule. this works great. I have wirelessly configured numerous AEs around the house. I would like to have some of them hard wired with ethernet but when I do the internet no lo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.