Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spamassassin & Amavisd borked today

Today around 11am GMT we have experienced a problem where amavisd is unable to start (constantly trying to respawn):

(org.amavis.amavisd): Service exited with abnormal code: 255

(org.amavis.amavisd): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

All our mail is getting deffered unless I turn off Filtering in Server Admin.

I think I've traced it down to a problem with spamassassin not being able to download rules correctly:

(!!)TROUBLE in pre_loop_hook: config: no rules were found! Do you need to run 'sa-update'?

Suicide () TROUBLE in pre_loop_hook: config: no rules were found! Do you need to run 'sa-update'?

I've tried running "sa-update --no-gpg" but it brings back:

textcat: languages filename not defined

Use of uninitialized value $results[0] in hash element at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 423.

Use of uninitialized value $answers[0] in join or string at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 434.

Use of uninitialized value $matches[0] in join or string at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 518.

textcat: languages filename not defined

Use of uninitialized value $results[0] in hash element at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 423.

Use of uninitialized value $answers[0] in join or string at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 434.

Use of uninitialized value $matches[0] in join or string at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/Ma il/SpamAssassin/Plugin/TextCat.pm line 518.

rules: failed to run FORGED_GMAIL_RCVD test, skipping:

(Can't locate object method "check_for_forged_gmail_received_headers" via package "Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus" at (eval 1310) line 305.

)

channel: lint check of update failed, channel failed

A quick google search reveals the bug is acknowledged at spamassassin/apache:

https://bz.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=7540

What I don't know is how to fix this and why the **** amavisd just crashes and deffers mail if spamassassin can't find it's rules - I'm losing mail because of a downstream supplier??

OS X Server

Posted on Jan 31, 2018 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 6:41 PM

I confirm other reports of this problem that amavisd and spamassassin are incompatible with APFS volumes.

Moving the .spamassassin file to an HDFS+ volume fixes the issue:

sudo rm -fr /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo ln -s /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo chown -R _amavisd:_amavisd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner

sudo chmod 770 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner

sudo chown -h _amavisd:_amavisd /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo chmod -h 770 /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/spamassassin/sa_learn. pl

sudo ls -lH /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

total 2512

lrwxr-xr-x 1 _amavisd _amavisd 54 Feb 1 21:03 .spamassassin -> /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

-rw-------+ 1 root _amavisd 32768 Feb 1 21:26 bayes_seen

-rw-------+ 1 root _amavisd 1249280 Feb 1 21:26 bayes_toks

This also works with a spam/ham in the junkmail/notjunkmail folders.

Other mentions of this issue:

Please file bug reports.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 6:41 PM in response to ElliotCater

I confirm other reports of this problem that amavisd and spamassassin are incompatible with APFS volumes.

Moving the .spamassassin file to an HDFS+ volume fixes the issue:

sudo rm -fr /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo ln -s /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo chown -R _amavisd:_amavisd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner

sudo chmod 770 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner

sudo chown -h _amavisd:_amavisd /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo chmod -h 770 /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/spamassassin/sa_learn. pl

sudo ls -lH /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

total 2512

lrwxr-xr-x 1 _amavisd _amavisd 54 Feb 1 21:03 .spamassassin -> /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/.spamassassin

-rw-------+ 1 root _amavisd 32768 Feb 1 21:26 bayes_seen

-rw-------+ 1 root _amavisd 1249280 Feb 1 21:26 bayes_toks

This also works with a spam/ham in the junkmail/notjunkmail folders.

Other mentions of this issue:

Please file bug reports.

Spamassassin & Amavisd borked today

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.