You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reset the finder tags?

Please see the image below. On the left is how finder is organizing my folders; on the right is how I've set up my tags - not matching up. HELP! I need to reset these tags - not being able to organize my work is driving me crazy.

I searched for this answer and found this: How to reset Finder tags to default? Didn't work.

User uploaded file

iMac 27-inch, Retina 5K, 2017

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 6:47 AM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2018 7:39 PM in response to SSkupien

Hi SSkupien,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you'd like to clear out all current tags that you have on your files and start fresh. I know it's important to keep your tags and files organized as you prefer; I'd like to help. While there isn't a way to clear all tags at one time, there is an efficient way to do so by following the steps below.

First, open Finder > Preferences > Tags and place a checkmark next to all tags listed. You may need to add back tags that you see in your screenshot, such as Red, Blue, Green, and Gray to ensure that you're able to remove all tags that may be associated with your documents.

Next, in Finder, scroll to the bottom of the sidebar where tags are listed. Use the directions below to remove these tags from your documents.

To edit a tag from the sidebar, Control-click or right-click the tag you want to update.

User uploaded file

In the shortcut menu that appears:

• Select "Open in New Tab" to open a new Finder tab that shows you all files associated with that tag.
  • Select "Delete Tag" to remove it. Once deleted, a tag is removed from all files associated with that tag and you can no longer use that tag as a search term. If you still want to use the tag again later but don't want to see it in the Sidebar, select "Remove from Sidebar" instead.
OS X: Tags help you organize your files

Please keep in mind that this removes the tag from all documents associated and the tag itself; you'll need to create new tags after this process.

Best Regards.

How can I reset the finder tags?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.