Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone backup to iCloud only use Wi-Fi or will it also use cellular if Wi-Fi not available?

Since we started backing up the iPhone to iCloud we have been using a lot more cellular data and at time since going over our plan’s limit. Is it possible that something with the iCloud backup is using cellular data?

thank you

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 5:25 PM

82scrambler,

I believe that it only uses WiFi for iCloud backup.

If you are concerned about cellular data usage, go to Settings > Cellular > CELLULAR DATA. Then scroll down to see the apps that are using your cellular data.

You might scroll all the way to the bottom and select Reset Statistics and then monitor it going forward. In that way you'll have a fixed starting point and it will be easier to monitor. I reset mine monthly to coincide with the billing period.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 5:25 PM in response to 82scrambler

82scrambler,

I believe that it only uses WiFi for iCloud backup.

If you are concerned about cellular data usage, go to Settings > Cellular > CELLULAR DATA. Then scroll down to see the apps that are using your cellular data.

You might scroll all the way to the bottom and select Reset Statistics and then monitor it going forward. In that way you'll have a fixed starting point and it will be easier to monitor. I reset mine monthly to coincide with the billing period.

Good luck.

Does the iPhone backup to iCloud only use Wi-Fi or will it also use cellular if Wi-Fi not available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.