Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro doesn't sleep when lid closed

My Mac doesn't go to sleep mode when I close the lid. I still hear the noise of the vents that occasionally start working.

I tried finding the settings in Energy Saver, but apparently I only have two settings:

- Put HDs to sleep when possible,

- Wake for network access

MacBook Pro 15'' (Early 2011) running El Capitan (v. 10.11.6).

Can any one advise please?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), early 2011

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 12:18 PM

You should try, first, resetting the SMC (System Management Controller). First, shut down your MacBook and plug in your power adapter. Hold down Shift, Control, Option then press the Power key, while continuing to hold down the other keys. If your AC adapter is illuminated orange, you will see it change to green momentarily, then back to orange. It is best to do this when the machine isn't fully charged. Then try restarting the computer normally.

I would also try resetting your NV/PRAM. To do this, hold the Cmd + Option + P + R keys and then power on the machine. It will begin to start then restart. You should hear the machine chime twice. Once it chimes twice, release the keys and allow it to boot. For more info, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

This article is also a good reference: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 12:18 PM in response to ibragimovmarat

You should try, first, resetting the SMC (System Management Controller). First, shut down your MacBook and plug in your power adapter. Hold down Shift, Control, Option then press the Power key, while continuing to hold down the other keys. If your AC adapter is illuminated orange, you will see it change to green momentarily, then back to orange. It is best to do this when the machine isn't fully charged. Then try restarting the computer normally.

I would also try resetting your NV/PRAM. To do this, hold the Cmd + Option + P + R keys and then power on the machine. It will begin to start then restart. You should hear the machine chime twice. Once it chimes twice, release the keys and allow it to boot. For more info, see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

This article is also a good reference: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected - Apple Support

Feb 3, 2018 1:02 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi My MacBook Pro 13" retina late 2012 was nice with OSX Capitan, 2 years back i upgraded to Sierra & it becomes extremely hot on sleep mode. Sleep hibernate mode withCapitan was 1 but with Sierra it changed to 3, I tried to change to 1 using Terminal but it did not accept. Finding no way I had to downgraded to Capitan & it ran nicely(Hibernate mode became 1 automatically) except small website did not open with Safari & e.mail got little problem. This time again I upgraded to High Sierra, again the hibernate mode becomes 3 & it becomes extremely hot on sleep mode. In the activity monitor, it displays hidd & fud preventing sleep & kernel _tasks has many idle sleep wakes. I tried resetting SMC & NVPRAM many times without any improvement. OSX is 10.13.3. I also reinstalled High Sierra again- buying in Recovery mode, deleting the disc using disc utility & then reinstall OSX but no improvement. I can not use sleep mode, have to shutdown Mac every time. Any help please?

MacBook Pro doesn't sleep when lid closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.