Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a 'Jabber Account' on iMessage

What is a Jabber Account on iMessage? Who needs it?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 1:11 PM

Hi,

The App is Messages.

On a Mac in High Sierra it can also do Jabber accounts.

Messages took over from iChat and the Numbering of versions follows on with no gaps.

iChat was designed and an AIM Client with an agreement at Apple Issued IDs (@mac.com at the time) could be used as AIM Screen Names.

Jabber was added as an option in iChat 3

At that time Google did GoogleTalk and ran a Jabber server. (you did have to manually change the server name)

In iChat 4 Apple added a Google option got get around the fact Google don't adhere to the regular Jabber naming protocol.

Jabber and the Protocol XMPP are independent servers that can be Private or Public.

Google is a Public servers in that you can elect to join it.

This makes it it different from AIM and Yahoo that had central servers to register Names.

iChat worked from Buddy Lists to call people.

Messages can display those Buddy List if you wish.

Apple added Yahoo in iChat 6 (the version before the first version of Messages).

Since then Yahoo took down their server then re-wrote the app but Apple have not rejoined.

In Dec 2017 AOL ended the AIM Service leaving Messages with only Jabber working.

At one point in between Facebook also ran a Jabber server which could also be accessed from a web page if you wanted.

However it was never on the same page as other Facebook Logins (Google's can appear on their Web Mail Login page) and AIM could also be accessed from an AOL web page login.

The Yahoo re-write may have been link to one of two data breaches

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41493494

iChat and then Messages always used end to end Encryption when both ends were Macs.

AIM in the AIM app on PCs and Macs could elect to use end to end encryption but it was not compatible with iChat or Messages.

This is a list (by no means exhaustive) that gives some idea of the range of Public Jabber Servers

https://www.jabberes.org/servers/

The ones highlighted in pink are Off line.

The various icons point to links (Gateways) to other services.

The page seems not to have been updated for nearly 2 years (see bottom) so it does not include the removal on AIM and Yahoo gateways.

User uploaded file

9:09 pm Sunday; February 4, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Arnorf

Hi,

The App is Messages.

On a Mac in High Sierra it can also do Jabber accounts.

Messages took over from iChat and the Numbering of versions follows on with no gaps.

iChat was designed and an AIM Client with an agreement at Apple Issued IDs (@mac.com at the time) could be used as AIM Screen Names.

Jabber was added as an option in iChat 3

At that time Google did GoogleTalk and ran a Jabber server. (you did have to manually change the server name)

In iChat 4 Apple added a Google option got get around the fact Google don't adhere to the regular Jabber naming protocol.

Jabber and the Protocol XMPP are independent servers that can be Private or Public.

Google is a Public servers in that you can elect to join it.

This makes it it different from AIM and Yahoo that had central servers to register Names.

iChat worked from Buddy Lists to call people.

Messages can display those Buddy List if you wish.

Apple added Yahoo in iChat 6 (the version before the first version of Messages).

Since then Yahoo took down their server then re-wrote the app but Apple have not rejoined.

In Dec 2017 AOL ended the AIM Service leaving Messages with only Jabber working.

At one point in between Facebook also ran a Jabber server which could also be accessed from a web page if you wanted.

However it was never on the same page as other Facebook Logins (Google's can appear on their Web Mail Login page) and AIM could also be accessed from an AOL web page login.

The Yahoo re-write may have been link to one of two data breaches

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41493494

iChat and then Messages always used end to end Encryption when both ends were Macs.

AIM in the AIM app on PCs and Macs could elect to use end to end encryption but it was not compatible with iChat or Messages.

This is a list (by no means exhaustive) that gives some idea of the range of Public Jabber Servers

https://www.jabberes.org/servers/

The ones highlighted in pink are Off line.

The various icons point to links (Gateways) to other services.

The page seems not to have been updated for nearly 2 years (see bottom) so it does not include the removal on AIM and Yahoo gateways.

User uploaded file

9:09 pm Sunday; February 4, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 5, 2018 12:39 PM in response to Arnorf

Hi,

I should have been more explicit with the second question.

Jabber is just another Messaging service.

The iMessages account on the Mac can only message Mac users or iPhone Numbers.

When it is linked to an iPhone Number it can sync the iMessages between the two devices.

With the iPhone doing SMS as well the links can also include the Mac so it can do SMS via the iPhone to none iPhone phones.

If all your Contacts are Apple devices users then Messages and the iMessages account will be enough.

If you have others that use Google Hangouts or Still talk of their GoogleTalk account then the jabber option is for you.

However with the demise of AIM at the end of last year and Yahoo not that long ago and the revamp of that app that Apple seem to be ignoring then Messages is certainly not what it was.

As Apple and AIM did a "deal" about 14 years ago to allow Apple issues IDs (@mac.com, @me.com and @icloud.com) to be used as AIM Screen names but produced iMessages themselves they may have contributed to the demise of AIM as more Mac/Apple users used iMessages.

AS stated if iMessages suits your needs then it is enough.

Otherwise you are likely to need other apps.

User uploaded file

8:39 pm Monday; February 5, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 6, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Keith Gardner1

hi,

The response, "In short, you don't need Jabber just use your Messages account," is probably the most useful answer, as long as you add a little bit of a historical reference.

Actually the reverse is also true.

However messages in High Sierra only allows you to use Jabber.

You have to remember that adding iMessages accounts to iChat to become Messages at Messages version 7 is not always been tin the best interests of the App.

At iChat 6 you could use AIM, Jabber, Yahoo and Bonjour

It also did 4 way Video chats (had done since iChat 4) when all the buddies were using AIM or Jabber (the Yahoo service did not allow Video or Audio Chats).
See http://www.ralphjohns.co.uk/versions/ichatvers4/ichatvers4.html in particular http://www.ralphjohns.co.uk/versions/ichatvers4/ichatvers4pics/index.html

Bonjour was used for Mac to Mac contact on the same LAN (Home or work Network for instance)

As mentioned in my First reply many Jabber servers ran/run "Gateways" which were server end items that could link you to other services and at least Text Chat to them.

So with a Jabber account based at the right server you could text chat to AIM or Yahoo Buddies or even those on other services

See http://ismileys.free.fr/tips/msn_ichat.html

(This does need a Jabber app on the Mac to do the initial set up work but the Jabber account and it's Transports/Gateways will then work)

With Yahoo gateways you have to get the version for the newest App as Yahoo Closed the previous one - see above post.

AIM was also killed off.

This might have due to the fact that Apple ID issued by Apple (Those ending in @mac.com, @me.com accounts linked to iCloud and @icloud.com ones themselves) could be used as valid AIM Screen names. The adding of iMessages and it's take up by people on Macs probably dented the AIM user base significantly.

Apple kept the Video Audio and Screen Sharing in App until Version 8 in Mavericks.

There are in fact two version 8s as Apple let the numbering slip.

Whilst you might have been using only AIM or Jabber/Google before you don't have to switch to iMessages.

However iMessages is the de facto way of connecting to iPhone Users

Since 2004 when I started with iChat all the services have got closer and then further away again.

There are multi service Apps like AdiumX but the demise of AIM seems to have left a big hole.

There again this is way more info that the Original Poster asked for and is probably not of use to them.

User uploaded file

9:40 pm Friday; April 6, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 13, 2018 3:18 PM in response to Mac_slide

If you want to communicate using SMS on your Mac then you must have an iPhone (using continuity).

Read here: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

SMS piggybacked on a voice line from your carrier which your Mac clearly do not have.

In this technical forum, we cannot answer the why, we can only answer the how.

FYI, not all devices from other OEM are created equal.

Mar 13, 2018 3:19 PM in response to Mac_slide

Hi,

Yes with an iPhone with the Number registered with Apple's iMessages servers and SMS turned on so you can contact non iPhone via your carrier then you can contact most phones.

iMessages will also let you communicate with other Apple devices using an Apple ID.

You can link you iPhone and Mac in such a way that iMessages are shown on all devices and SMS can be forwarded to the Mac and the Mac can respond.

That essentially leaves PC users that cannot use iMessages or SMS.

There were other Messaging services.

AIM,

Yahoo,

MSN,

and Jabber/XMPP

AIM was fairly popular and was the basis for the iChat app that preceded Messages.

Jabber as added at iChat 3. It could be made to work with Google Talk.

iChat 4 brought a dedicated way to set up Google in Messages.

At iChat 6 brought Yahoo into the fold so to speak.

Version 7 saw the name change to Messages.

At Seirra Messages dropped Yahoo as Yahoo dumped their app then rewrote without an initial Mac version.

High Sierra has seen the drop of AIM partly due to AIM closing down on the 17th December.

It might be argued that iMessages may have killed off AIM.

Every ID issued by Apple (@Mac.com @me.com and @icloud.com) were also valid AIM Screen Names at some point. At the end all @mac.com ones, all @icloud.com one and any @me.com ones linked to iCloud were still valid.

Being that most people moved to Messages and the iMessages account fairly quickly it might have played a part.

Jabber/XMPP servers are standalone servers that can be interlinked.

Google is the exception to the server naming system.

Most Jabber servers is Username@Server name

Even Facebook at one time used this convention.

Google used to use the server name talk.google.com whereas the ID they use were the standard username@gmail.com (Or @googlemail.com)

Now they use google.com

So it is not just about phones.

User uploaded file

10:19 pm Tuesday; March 13, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 4, 2018 4:42 PM in response to Arnorf

Arnorf wrote:

Ralph, I've no doubt that what you've told me is technically correct to the last full stop. But what would I use a Jabber Account for, if I already have Messages?

"what would I use a Jabber account for" is like asking "how much is it?". If you have to ask, you don't need it. I posted the link above so you could read about it but maybe I should have posted this one.

https://www.jabber.org/faq.html

Apr 6, 2018 7:18 AM in response to ckuan

The response, "In short, you don't need Jabber just use your Messages account," is probably the most useful answer, as long as you add a little bit of a historical reference.

Many of us (myself included) never heard of Jabber until it appeared in Messages, even though it's one of the original open messaging services. So it goes. Friendster was one of the original social networking sites... how many have Friendster accounts today (if it still exists)? Anyway, times change, technologies change, and companies don't want to share. It's somewhat remarkable that Messages delivers messages in this "alien" protocol, except since it's open standard I guess that makes the difference. You wouldn't likely see Messages, [Facebook] Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, SnapChat, WhatsApp, delivering each others' messages – much as that might be what EVERYONE wants, except the service providers. The more time you spend on each of their respective networks, the more they are able to monetize it, and of course that's the name of the game.

So yeah, you don't need a Jabber account. But you DO want to pay attention to things like security and encryption – not just animated emoji – when selecting a platform to use, as these are areas that are constantly evolving, and can have real importance to you.

What is a 'Jabber Account' on iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.