Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.4 Import AVCHD video distortion problems

I'm finding video artifacts at the top of my AVCHD clips imported into FCPX 10.4

I'm on an iMac, 21.5 inch, late 2105, 3.3 GHz i7, 16GB memory

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

FCPX 10.4

My video clips are recorded using a Canon Vixia HF G20 Camcorder

I've read that others are having this problem too. I've changed nothing on my computer except the update to FCPX 10.4 and any other software and system updates that the App Store throws my way. Now when I import AVCHD video files directly from a SDHC card, every few minutes during playback I get video artifacts at the top of my clips. Most of my clips are 60 minutes or longer. I've used this workflow for the last few years with previous versions of FCPX without any problems.

I can import the clips using Quicktime and they play fine. If I export from Quicktime and import into FCPX they play without the problem. Older projects that I created before the upgrade to 10.4 play fine in 10.4. I do not have Perian on my computer per System Preferences and a Finder search.

The same problem happens on my 2015 MacBook Pro, MacOS 10.12.6, FCPX 10.4.

Any suggestions?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 7:01 AM

71 replies

Apr 4, 2018 12:33 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have the same problem. Canon C100 and multiple G25s importing into FCPX 10.4 on High Sierra 10.13.4.
I tried my spare El Cap machine importing with QT 10.4 and the problem is the same.

MTS crashes FCPX so my workaround is converting MTS with Prism.

User uploaded file

The iDVD comment was just an aside at the end - although as the subject involves videos and codecs its a related issue that FCPX 10.4 export MOVs now say "file type not recognised".

May 3, 2018 12:30 PM in response to SlobberdogKisses

Darnit. MacOS 10.13.4 and FCPX 10.4.2 update didn't fix it.

Will have to chase up my support case again....

Why:Final Cut, C02QT395GG7N, Importing media from files, cameras, or camera archivesWhen:Tuesday, 3 April 2018Case ID:10049842----

Got 4 big jobs in 5 days starting tomorrow. Nine hours of stage time with four angles.
And the final gag - the new FCPX seems to have disabled my Contour Shuttle wheel..

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2018 2:01 PM in response to SlobberdogKisses

Greetings,

I have figured out a workaround that will get me through until this issue with FCPX 10.4 is fixed. (I do believe it is problem with this version of FCPX.)

Give this a try: Open up your AVCHD archive file (Right-click, select "Show Package Contents.") Using same technique, open up AVCHD, then BDMV. Open up the "STREAM" folder. Set up your desktop so you have your FCPX workspace and the Finder folder, side-by-side. Then, simply drag the MTS files into an Event. This works, even though you apparently can't import the files into FCPX the usual way. Now you can highlight all the dragged-in files, right-click on one of them, and select Transcode Media, to create your Optimized media (and also Proxy media if you are using Multicam).

Here are some additional background notes:

• I have an older Canon Vixia HF S100, which I use for smaller projects, but also as "B" camera with my Canon C100 for larger projects.
  • I seem to have the breakup issue only with the Vixia HF S100, but not with the C100
  • I first thought my Vixia was having issues, but discovered I could open up the STREAM folder and play the MTS files without any breakup issues.
  • When I tried deleting affected imported files, and then re-importing, I still had breakup, but at different places... previous bad footage was now OK, and some previous good footage now had breakup.
  • My system:
    • 27", late 2015 retina iMac
    • 4 GHz Intel Core i7
    • 32 GB RAM
    • 10.13.3 High Sierra

I hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2018 8:33 AM in response to SlobberdogKisses

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I too get distortion, mostly at the top of the shot occasionally, but other times all over the shot, but it only happens for a few seconds, and not throughout the entire clip! I'm using the Canon Legria HFG25. It's really frustrating, and I can't see a way out? Like yourself all my other clips from previous projects work within this update....

Feb 13, 2018 6:05 AM in response to SlobberdogKisses

I have the same exact issue (shot with a Canon G20 to AVCHD)...seems to be a 10.4 bug. Serves us right for not waiting for 10.4.1 (which I usually do!). Downgrading to 10.3.4 fixed the problem immediately. Only drag is that now any libraries I've updated to 10.4 will have to have the original files (found in the library folder) imported back in since it's not backwards compatible. Hopefully a fix is coming in either 10.4.1 or in the ProRes update

Feb 20, 2018 9:20 AM in response to nordheide

Actually it's very easy to convert .MTS files to Apple ProRes without any software but QT X.

On High Sierra:

1. Copy your MTS files to a folder

2. Select all the files to convert and click right button

3. Chose "Services > Encode selected video files"

4. Chose "Apple ProRes" from dropdown menu

5. Done!

The only problem is that you cannot chose the destination folder...everything will be placed in the source folder.

Feb 24, 2018 3:17 AM in response to rjpimprov

@rjpimprov Yes, you're right. Fortunately there is a workaround, but the problem is still there...

Btw, I've noticed that the only difference between "normal" imported files and the "dragged" ones is audio codec (PCM linear Vs. AC3). Dunno if this could be related to the bug or not, but it means that files are processed in different mode.

Mar 25, 2018 8:04 PM in response to garyepp

I need to retract at least part of my post... I posted too soon. My workaround doesn't always work. Using my workaround, I have had some clips exhibit the breakup artifacts. Also, when you bypass the import process and just drag in the MTS files, none of the metadata is attached, and if you are trying to create Multicam clips, it doesn't seem to work at all. I do believe at this point that my "additional background notes" stand true: so far my C100 AVCHD hasn't (yet) given me any problems.

One thing I have done is to import the same AVCHD clip twice (you need to import into a new event), and lay one clip under the other on the timeline. When you find a bad section on the top clip, there's a good chance the lower clip won't have the artifacts in the same place, so you can bring the opacity to zero on the top clip for that section... but what a hassle.

Anyway, sorry I jumped the gun a bit.

Gary

Mar 26, 2018 5:23 AM in response to garyepp

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the easiest workaround until there is a fix to 10.4 is simply to downgrade to 10.3.4. I know almost nothing about computers and a simple youtube search and a zip file did it....took me 5 minutes and things works great in 10.3.4 for avchd. I can understand wanting a workaround, but an easy one isn't there for 10.4

Apr 3, 2018 3:34 AM in response to SlobberdogKisses

Just spent a couple of hours on the phone to apple support and he is going to get the engineers looking at it and get back to me.

Its obviously a common problem but it is happening on my El Cap machine as well as the High Sierra, importing both Through FCPx and QT.

Now copying 4 MTS files from each of the 4 cameras for each of the 4 shows I am trying to edit...

One solution I have found is to convert via Prism converter, gives me a clean .Mov file,
I will try replacing the corrupted ones in all the muticamera clips i have now edited.

BTW anyone managed to get iDVD back to life? My El cap machine won't recognise new .mov files so I have to use some garbage by corel and reimport all the chapter markings by hand. Grrr.

Apr 3, 2018 3:39 AM in response to Trash II Treasure

Your post is not related to this thread, which is about FCP X 10.4 and AVCHD material. 10.4 does not even run on El Capitan.

If you have specific issues, start a new thread and be clear about what the problem is.

Do not mix unrelated problems. iDVD, for example, runs fine in El Capitan, so your machine may be having some unrelated issue. Again, start a specific thread. This probably belongs in a different forum, too, not related to FCP X.

FCPX 10.4 Import AVCHD video distortion problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.