Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 3 Distance tracking

My wife and I bought new series 3 watches, one is 38mm and one is 42mm. We tried workout apps and some other workout apps to see results on distance tracking. There is always about 0.3km-0.5km (we are from croatia so I put metric units) difference in the distance that we completed. We start from the same position side by side, and start the outdoor app at the same time. By the end of walk there is always a distance difference. We then tried some other app and we have the same problem. Her’s watch is always showing less distance than mine. Watches are two weeks old. We both own iPhone 7 and software is up to date on watches and on iPhones. Is there something wron with watches? We made new calibrations and everything that we fonud on yours support page.

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 7:46 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 4, 2018 7:51 AM in response to vatroslav1912

Hi

The discrepancy in the distance results recorded by your watches may be explained by differences in how you each move your arms and/or by the availability of Location Services data.

Apple Watch uses different sensors and data sources to track the results of workouts, depending on the activity type. For more accurate tracking of outdoor workouts and to enable proper calibration, check your Location Services settings:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

It may also help to check your personal information, on which actiivity-related estimations partly depend:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app that shares data to Health) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Outdoor Walk for outdoor walking workouts and Other for any workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results:

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record workouts when Location Services data is either not relevant or not available (eg Indoor Walk / treadmill or when there is poor GPS reception), the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including distance and pace.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around and during workouts (where relevant to the activity type).

If Location Services were not previously enabled, then it may help to reset your existing calibration data and then to recalibrate your Apple Watch again. More information and detailed instructions are available via the link below. Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 3 models and will not erase your Activity history:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - also be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during general daily wear and during any workouts. Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the issue still persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 4, 2018 8:17 AM in response to vatroslav1912

vatroslav1912 wrote:

Everything that You replied for checking is already been checked and it’s working. I’ve wrote that in my first post.

Your question did not make any reference, for example, to having checked your Location Services settings or to having checked your personal information.

If you have not yet enabled the relevant settings, then I suggest that you follow the steps in my previous reply, including each recalibrating your Apple Watch.

If you have already tried all of the steps or if the issue persists after following them, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required) or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Centar za odgovore na upite korisnika za Apple Watch – Appleova korisnička podrška

(Note that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

Apple watch series 3 Distance tracking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.