Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my hard drive suddenly read-only? Only ever used on Mac.

I've had a Sonnics external hard drive for a few years and have always store things no problem. I just plug it in, and it's ready to go. It's never been plugged into a PC, just my 3 different Macbooks. Suddenly, I can't use it anymore. Every other forum post I see seems to mention that it's formatted for Windows, but it's not. This is what I see.

User uploaded file

Why is this happening? I have so much work I need to do and load up on this--but I can't find any answers.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 8:19 AM

oswaltk wrote:

Ok, so why would this happen? And what do I do now?

The reason is that hard disk drives don't last forever. The solution is to replace it with a new one.

macOS will make an effort to preserve files that may remain intact by changing its status to "read-only", thereby preventing further alteration and loss of data. Since the drive has suffered a failure it should no longer be relied upon to function.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2018 8:19 AM in response to oswaltk

oswaltk wrote:

Ok, so why would this happen? And what do I do now?

The reason is that hard disk drives don't last forever. The solution is to replace it with a new one.

macOS will make an effort to preserve files that may remain intact by changing its status to "read-only", thereby preventing further alteration and loss of data. Since the drive has suffered a failure it should no longer be relied upon to function.

Feb 6, 2018 10:34 AM in response to oswaltk

How do people save files?

I can't speak for what others do because only they can place a value on their data. In my opinion essential data needs to be backed up. Only one backup is not sufficient because any drive can fail at any time. Failures can arise gradually, with some warning, or catastrophically, with none.

Apple has provided a backup solution for well over a decade. You already have it and it's free. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support. It will back up all locally connected volumes to as many backup devices as you wish.

Do you save thousands of pictures and files on MORE than one device?

Certainly. To have just one of anything essential is tempting fate.

Feb 6, 2018 1:10 AM in response to John Galt

I'm completely confused . I bought this maybe 2 years ago for the exact purpose of preserving my files, obviously. It's not letting me take the files off and says half the files are corrupt. I don't think it's crazy to think that I trusted these files on this thing more than on my work Macbook. How do people save files? Do you save thousands of pictures and files on MORE than one device? That feels... unsafe and extremely cumbersome.

Why would I ever buy a very expensive piece of technology with the expectation that one day it is just going to fail without warning when I've only used as it should be used? I don't understand why this seems normal to everyone.

Why is my hard drive suddenly read-only? Only ever used on Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.