Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive turned read only

I have a Seagate 4 TB external hard drive that I use to back up my 2011 MacBook Pro. Been doing it for a while with no issues. After upgrading to High Sierra, my first time trying to use my hard drive, it now shows read only. Why did this happen and more importantly how do I fix it without reformatting the hard drive and losing everything that I currently have on there?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 8:31 AM

Then you were running a third party app such as Paragon or Tuxera that allowed you to write to the drive. When you upgraded your operating system these third party apps were no longer compatible with the operating system. You need to see if there are updates to these third party apps or you need to format your drive for Mac rather than for Windows. Make sure you copy off your data before formatting since formatting will destroy your data.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2018 8:31 AM in response to Nscimone

Then you were running a third party app such as Paragon or Tuxera that allowed you to write to the drive. When you upgraded your operating system these third party apps were no longer compatible with the operating system. You need to see if there are updates to these third party apps or you need to format your drive for Mac rather than for Windows. Make sure you copy off your data before formatting since formatting will destroy your data.

External Hard Drive turned read only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.