Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony A1U camera to iMovie 10.1.8?

Is there a fix or work around for importing 1080i HDV footage from a Sony A1U camera to iMovie 10.1.8?

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 7:22 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2018 11:40 AM in response to kustomice

Previous versions of iMovie ( ver's 6,8 and 9) would transcode the HDV into Apple Intermediate Codec

(AIC) upon import.

iMovie version 10 does not do this; it deals with it natively, i.e. HDV. MPEG 2.

In other words iMovie takes in a copy of what is on the tape, it does not transcode.

This is similar to importing DV tape where no transcoding takes place on import.

I am wondering if High Sierra is having problems dealing with these older formats, as there have been a few issues recently on here regarding importing DV tape.Could HDV be going the same way?

Try importing using the Record feature in QuickTime Player.

How to use QuickTime Player - Apple Support

If you select the Quality to Maximum,then this should import as Pro Res which iMovie 10 should be able to work with.

You will then need to import this into iMovie.

Unfortunately you will get one long clip, rather than the usual scene breaks that you have been used to up till now.

Secondly, unfortunately, the file size for Pro Res is much larger than HDV.( but better quality than the DV you are using)

OR if you have iMovie 6,8 or 9 you could use these to import the HDV tape and then transfer the associated AIC files

into iMovie 10 which hopefully High Sierra can cope with????

Until a fix from Apple comes along, this is all I can think of trying.

Feb 5, 2018 8:48 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks,

Firewire connection to camera - check (via firewire 800 on Mac mini (2012))

The problem is that when I try to import 1080i HDV footage to iMovie 10.1.8 it can't handle the the file i.e. can't scrub or edit and play back is sporadic and poor quality, not to mention editing is near impossible since scrubbing does not work.

I have always used iMovie with this camera and it has been fine, but with recent updates in OS and iMovie it has stopped working. My current fix is to set the camera to export as DV (DVCam) and that allows for editing but at quite a bit lower video quality.

I am hoping some one has a fix or workaround - or can recommend another software program that would allow me to use the 1080i HDV footage.

Sony A1U camera to iMovie 10.1.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.