Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red and Yellow screen crash

MacBook 2016. Has problems when connected/disconnected to/from the external monitor. The screens turn yellow and red. Requires hard reboot. Genius useless. Reset does not help. Reinstalling OS does not help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) Radeon Pro 460 4 GB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB. OS 10.13.2 (17C205)

5K LG monitor from Apple Store.

Known problem?

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 1:07 AM

I've been running into the same issue lately. It doesn't always do it, but it happens 2-3 times a week.

I am using same laptop as you, But with the 4k Ultrafine from LG (bought from Apple as well).

I have had it in service for 2 weeks now and they said they cannot replicate the issue.

This is how it looks for me:

User uploaded file

It all started after installing the High Sierra update, so all I can do is hope it's a software issue, as the laptop is going out of warranty in a few months, and as I mentioned they were unable to replicate it in service (so no fix).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 1:07 AM in response to Chatlanian

I've been running into the same issue lately. It doesn't always do it, but it happens 2-3 times a week.

I am using same laptop as you, But with the 4k Ultrafine from LG (bought from Apple as well).

I have had it in service for 2 weeks now and they said they cannot replicate the issue.

This is how it looks for me:

User uploaded file

It all started after installing the High Sierra update, so all I can do is hope it's a software issue, as the laptop is going out of warranty in a few months, and as I mentioned they were unable to replicate it in service (so no fix).

Mar 1, 2018 1:17 AM in response to alexandrutoea

Yep. That's it. Colors may be different from time to time. It could blue and red etc...

I have 5K at home and 4K at work. Unplug MacBook at home (without shutting it down) plug it at work, and it fails every time. Sometime it fails even if I shut it down between the plug/unplug. Apple is hopeless in reproducing it. The "genius" at the store ain't that smart to get it to happen. Yes, it started to happen after the OS update and been happening ever since, and no there is no fix that I know of. Non of the rests, re-installs etc work, don't waist your time on reinstalling anything, does not help.

Apr 9, 2018 6:24 AM in response to Chatlanian

I have exactly the same problem.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)

I have the issue with a 4K monitor (Dell P2715Q) as well as with a non-4K model (Dell U2715H). The first one is connected via USB-C to DisplayPort. The second one is connected with the Apple USB-C Digital AV adapter to HDMI.

I couldn't reproduce the problem on purpose yet, it seems to be random but happens quite often (5-10 times per week).

Red and Yellow screen crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.