Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Apple ipod touch battery indicator issue!

All ipod touch 6th generation with 11.2.5 have issues with battery indicator.

As someone else said in another apple discussions thread

"I have the same issue. It started when upgrading to iOS 11. Also when I restart my iPod it shows the battery indicator totally empty even though it was fully charged before restart. Then the Display dims out automatically to conserve the power. It takes few minutes for it to realize it is actually full and the indicator returns back to full. I don't know if Iphone and iPad users experience that as I have only the iPod."

new iphone SE bought in same week does not do this on 11.2.5. Old ipod touch 5th generation on ios9, no issues.

Have called apple support + live chat for over 6+ hours customer relations says "did not make a difference if monitor calls about this" = from "kimberley" on Feb 5th 2018. She offered to send me a free water bottle, I wish I was joking, she REFUSED to help.

We have tried, restore, update, wiped it clean, install from itunes. NOTHING HAS FIXED THIS BUG! I even tried returning and buying another ipod touch, and same issue.

Was told yesterday be "genius" in apple store that (at first they had no idea what to do) and asked a collegue who was told "that's how they are". ARE YOU KIDDING? all testers in apple store had same issue (try it apple!)

CAN ANYONE HELP? I do want one that works with a battery indicator working properly. Is that too much to ask? I do have senior advisor who has escelated to engineering but again no action beyond "sorry and no idea".

Apple, I welcome you to reach out and help me out. It should NOT be this hard.

iOS 11.2.5, ipod touch 6th generation

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 5:23 AM

Similar questions

25 replies

Feb 6, 2018 5:48 AM in response to stars00

mine does the same thing. I could guess that it’s a delay in the software as it starts up in reading the accurate battery level. it’s something buried in iOS11 and something Apple will need to fix.

You can send them feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

as I understand it, while messages there are not responded to they are read and logged. Perhaps enough feedback will register the problem and get Apple working on a fix.

Beyond that - and I speak as a person that has a 6th gen touch - just dont’ reboot it if you don’t have to or just know it’ll do this. There is nothing a user can do.

Feb 28, 2018 1:52 PM in response to stars00

In the absence of a battery indicator that you like, all you need to know is:

- if the battery icon is:

• full. The battery is fully charged (the Lock Screen says 100% Charged)
  • not full. The battery is less than fully charged
  • half full. The battery is (very roughly) half full
  • mainly empty. The battery is less than half full
  • red. The battery has less than 20% remaining. Think about whether you will need to put it on charge soon.

That's all there is to know.

More importantly is what to do about any time that the battery is less than full. It depends upon your circumstances, but the short answer to that is to carry a power bank with you in case you're not near to a fixed supply. After all, what will a percentage figure tell you that the above does not?

stars00 wrote:

Android is becoming appealing - which I've never tried.

My experience of Android devices is that their battery indicator is not much better and suffers from similar behaviour. But hey, I feel sure that Apple will appreciate your threat.

Feb 28, 2018 1:55 PM in response to gnidreg

gnidreg wrote:

It is difficult to know when to charge the battery, because the indicator is so unreliable.

Well, perhaps that's why Apple resisted having a percentage indicator for so long.

--------------------------------------

However, as I've posted in response to stars00:

In the absence of a battery indicator that you like, all you need to know is:

- if the battery icon is:

• full. The battery is fully charged (the Lock Screen says 100% Charged)
  • not full. The battery is less than fully charged
  • half full. The battery is (very roughly) half full
  • mainly empty. The battery is less than half full
  • red. The battery has less than 20% remaining. Think about whether you will need to put it on charge soon.

That's all there is to know.

More importantly is what to do about any time that the battery is less than full. It depends upon your circumstances, but the short answer to that is to carry a power bank with you in case you're not near to a fixed supply. After all, what will a percentage figure tell you that the above does not?

Mar 1, 2018 3:18 AM in response to gnidreg

gnidreg wrote:

In response to the fiend:

Our problem is not the lack of a numerical percentage.

I understand that. I too believe that this should simply work. It affects my iPod Touch as well. I've had similar issues on one of my Android devices, so it's not just Apple, although strangely, it is more irritating on my iPod than my Android device.

gnidreg wrote:

The battery icon often turns red either briefly and immediately after a full charge or later on when it is still 90% charged, for example.

I've posted the following into another thread already, but it's as valid here (somewhat modified though):

If:

1. your iPod is at 1% charge (or very low charge) - and you
  2. plug it into power, and
  3. the battery indicator jumps to 61% (or even higher), so you
  4. unplug the iPod from power...
  5. it will very quickly go back to 1 or 2% remaining charge

... and my Android does the same thing. It's the nature of charging up rechargeable batteries (although the way the software has been written does appear to be a little unhelpful). I suggest therefore, that when the remaining charge is that low (in the red), that you plug it in for a charge and leave it to actually fully charge, rather than just a few minutes. When the reading on the Lock Screen states 100% Charged, it does appear to be so.

As an aside, I'm sure that previous versions of iOS turned off the lightning bolt next to the battery icon (top right of screen) when the battery was fully charged, but with iOS 11.2.6, the lightning bolt stays on whenever power is being supplied to the iPod, which seems like a backward step to me.

As for fixing this, I would rather than Apple spent more time fixing certain other problems that have made one particular App almost unusable.

Feb 9, 2018 1:44 PM in response to Skydiver119

I heard back from senior advisor "Natasha" Feb 9th 2018 - says that "engineering said are aware of issue but no idea when it will be fixed" could next update, spring, she/they have no idea when.

Wonderful apple. Apple for my 8+ hours I've spent dealing with this case = no help. No resolution from Apple. Apple has not reached out for help at all.

"I"M STARTING TO LOSE FAITH IN APPLE". - makes no difference. I miss Steve Jobs, things were better then. Escalation process not working. I'm tired of apple telling me "submit feedback" - just fix it. Android is becoming appealing - which I've never tried. I just want one that works.

Feb 16, 2018 5:23 AM in response to stars00

Update * 02/16/2018 finally got someoen good in customer relations who seems to care named Anna.

I tried with a discount purchasing a new ipod touch (count them 3 new devices in less than 2 weeks apple), and sadly even if on 11.1.2 instead of 11.2.5 it has the same issue with "engineering aware of the issue and no ideas when it wil be resolved." at this time it isn't possible to purchase a new ipod touch 6th generation new with battery indicator working properly.

I welcome apple to reach out send complimentary device or a HUGE discount that I will act in faith it will get fixed or will apple do nothing...we will see. It isn't just you, I hope this helps you...again 8+hours, multiple store trips, many senior advisors, genius bar, engineering haven't resolved it. focused on resolution but feel like apple would rather hide this fact and not talk about it. Hoping for a different outcome.

Feb 26, 2018 5:32 AM in response to stars00

I guess I won’t be upgrading my iPod Touch 6th gen to iOS 11 any time soon!

My feeling is that iOS 11, all around, has been a relative disaster for all iDevices and Apple just can’t get it together to plug all the holes, bugs, glitches and any other faulty functionalities.

I guess I am going to be skipping iOS 11, completely, just like I did with iOS 8, which seemed to me, at that time, to be another disaster of an iOS version.

Feb 26, 2018 6:41 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi MichelPM,

I'd love to give you good news that it has been fixed, sadly nope. I'm waiting until they fix it in ios 11.3 (not holding my breath)... if it is fixed would repurchase for 4th time but right now, fact is it doesn't work. You can give "feedback" to apple, spread the word, let others know to make them care because right now they don't.

Apple may discontinue ipod touch, I don't think it's a high priority for them sadly, right now out of box 6th generation ipod touch not function properly. My advice is go into a store, test it first and check which version of ios it is, turn it off then back on,see battery indicator and make your decision. "engineering aware of issue" still no fix.

Feb 26, 2018 5:44 PM in response to stars00

Agree completely that something should be done. It is difficult to know when to charge the battery, because the indicator is so unreliable. The dialogue box that says 20% is left will appear and when I plug it into the charger it immediately shows at 90% charged. There is no solution for the consumer and this battery issue appears to be widespread.

Has anyone tried replacing their batteries? Did that make any difference?

Feb 26, 2018 6:23 PM in response to stars00

I have an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air and updated both of these to IOS11 and have had no battery indicator issues with either of these devices—only the iPod touch.

My touch worked well for the first year on IOS 9, but a couple months into the second year, it started to drain much more quickly and the battery indicator seemed unreliable even with IOS 10, but with IOS 11, it is much worse. Others have complained that the battery life is terrible on the iPod touch 6. I have an iPod nano that is eight years old and it lasts longer on a charge than the touch did in year two. I don't know if I have a defective battery or not, but what's the point of having it tested when the battery indicator is such a mess?

Feb 27, 2018 4:37 AM in response to gnidreg

What version of ios 11? I have a family member how updated to 11.2.6 on iphone 5s and says everything is fine.

However, again on ALL ipod touch 6h generation on all version of ios 11 when you turn on, battery indicator does not work properly with no fix in sight. as someone else mentioned "Also when I restart my iPod it shows the battery indicator totally empty even though it was fully charged before restart. Then the Display dims out automatically to conserve the power. It takes few minutes for it to realize it is actually full and the indicator returns back to full. " - AGAIN APPLE OR ANYBODY TRY IT IN IN APPLE STORE TO SEE WHAT I MEAN

Feb 28, 2018 5:00 AM in response to gnidreg

your ipod touch worked well in first year of ios9, is this the 6th generation you are talking about? Is the 6th generation battery really bad as you say, should I just keep the 5th not also upgrade? I have heard some say the same issue. Yes, they absolutely should fix the problem, it feels like they don't care because they may discontinue ipod touch, I don't know. outcome wanted: apple do something please!

Feb 28, 2018 7:20 AM in response to stars00

my iPod Touch is 6th generation, purchased December 2015.

My battery started to drain after the first year, beginning when just out of warranty (did not buy Applecare) I cannot say for sure if that was caused by IOS 10, but it began around that time. It would hold a charge for maybe 3-4 hours after previously lasting much longer. The diminishment was not gradual over time, but a sudden drop. I always do all the recommended battery conservation suggestions on all my devices from day one. Did watch the occasional video but rarely because the screen is so small and I also have an iPad. At present, it will hold a charge for maybe 3 hours. IOS 11 definitely caused the battery indicator issue that you decribed in your first post.

I have done a lot of web searches and know that 3-4 hours is common with the 6th gen, so it is not me alone on that one. I would not update software on the 5th or 6th at this point. Not unless they present a fix for this issue in particular. I would suggest no videos and do all you can to conserve battery life. I've been keeping in airplane mode when not downloading a podcast and only use the device as a music player. But that suits me now. You might feel differently.

All Apple ipod touch battery indicator issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.