Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you resize a photo on an iPad or iPhone?

You used to be able to resize photos on an iPad or iPhone by emailing them to yourself. You would get a prompt asking whether to send the photos as small, medium, large or original. That function appears to have been lost during a recent update or the procedure was changed. How do you resize photos now?

I am unable to post photos on many websites because the original shots are too large. It is also harder to email large photos and some people cannot receive or open large photos. BTW, the process for resizing photos was cumbersome but at least you could do it. Ideally, Apple will add a resizing option for photos in the edit mode.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 8:25 AM

I’m back again with the same question. I just tried to resize some more photos using the procedure that I thought was described in this thread but it no longer works. As I understood it, when you email a photo, a small drop-down menu that allows you to resize photos is supposed to appear in the header. Now I cannot find the resizing menu.

Why does Apple make this so difficult? Many social media sites have size limits on photos and it is very difficult to do this with an iPad or iPhone. It used to be very easy to do. Whenever you attached or emailed a photo, you would get a prompt asking you to select a size. That feature has either been dropped or made extremely difficult to use.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 8:25 AM in response to TCMather

I’m back again with the same question. I just tried to resize some more photos using the procedure that I thought was described in this thread but it no longer works. As I understood it, when you email a photo, a small drop-down menu that allows you to resize photos is supposed to appear in the header. Now I cannot find the resizing menu.

Why does Apple make this so difficult? Many social media sites have size limits on photos and it is very difficult to do this with an iPad or iPhone. It used to be very easy to do. Whenever you attached or emailed a photo, you would get a prompt asking you to select a size. That feature has either been dropped or made extremely difficult to use.

Feb 10, 2018 4:36 AM in response to TCMather

If you select your photo and Share > Mail look carefully at the new message within Mail and locate something like Images: 174 KB. Tap that area and an Image Size: with various options appears after it. From my screen I can see that a photo taken with my iPad was going to be sent Medium: 174 KB I could have selected Small: 53.8 or Large or Actual Size: 1.9 MB

FURTHER if I use the crop tool in Edit Mode of Photos and attempt to email the resulting image the Medium image is 147 KB and Actual Size: 399 KB.

I'd be interested to know why these features within Photos on the iPad under iOS 11 are not meeting your expectations.

Feb 10, 2018 4:42 AM in response to pamfrombalwyn

Thank you. I finally figured it out after reading your reply, but the new procedure is different than in the past and not intuitive. Previously, the email would clearly display boxes with the sizes, asking you to select one. Now you have to click on the small text for images in the email header to see the size options, but at least I know how to do it now. It seems that Apple would include a resizing tool in the editing options within the Photos app.

Mar 20, 2018 4:28 PM in response to markwmsn

I don’t get such a prompt, although I used to before recent IOS updates.

However, in speaking with someone on the Apple helpline today, I think we isolated the problem. I‘m not able to resize photos using my usual email apps, Gmail and Yahoo. But we tried it using Apple Mail, and resizing photo options are provided in the header of the email. So, apparently Gmail and Yahoo Mail have not adapted to recent Apple updates. If I want to resize photos on my iPad or iPhone, I will just have to use Apple Mail.

How do you resize a photo on an iPad or iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.