Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping pictures does not change the size?

I have MANY pictures on my devices. I don't want to risk losing them or not having them if I can't access the iCloud, so I keep the pics on my devices. I was trying to free up space by cropping some of the pics, since many have just the key point of interest in the center. I was very surprised after cropping several that when I checked the 'info' for the pics the size hadn't changed. Is this a glitch? Thanks in advance.

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 8:48 AM

Hi unxrules,

that is not a glitch / bug that is the intention!

Apple Photos App, like many other, perform a "Non Destructive Editing".

Basically they don't really change anything on the original photo, but they store a list with all changes that you perform.

Apple Photos App will create small preview pictures of the original with all changes.

Every time you open the photo the original photo will be loaded and the list of changes will be performed.

Now you can add more changes or adjust existing changes.

This will help to get the best possible picture without degrading quality if you change a photo multiple times.

Also you can always revert to the original photo. (Picture is from macOS)

If you don't want that you would have to Export your modified photo and reimport it then.

Ralf

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 8:48 AM in response to unxrules

Hi unxrules,

that is not a glitch / bug that is the intention!

Apple Photos App, like many other, perform a "Non Destructive Editing".

Basically they don't really change anything on the original photo, but they store a list with all changes that you perform.

Apple Photos App will create small preview pictures of the original with all changes.

Every time you open the photo the original photo will be loaded and the list of changes will be performed.

Now you can add more changes or adjust existing changes.

This will help to get the best possible picture without degrading quality if you change a photo multiple times.

Also you can always revert to the original photo. (Picture is from macOS)

If you don't want that you would have to Export your modified photo and reimport it then.

Ralf

Cropping pictures does not change the size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.